Hopper usage poll

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Sep 9, 2013.

?

Making hoppers move entire stack instead of 1 by 1

Love the idea, helps me 136 vote(s) 59.6%
This would hurt my creations (please explain in thread) 40 vote(s) 17.5%
Doesn't affect me (or I don't use hoppers) 52 vote(s) 22.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I never lag anyway... or use hoppers.... So meh, do it. :D
  2. The only problem i have is if you slow down the speed then its gonna be problem for enchant shops where they have to use Slot and can only move 1 at a time so if someone is buying more then one of the same enchant there going to be standing there for a while which is frustrating.
  3. This faster transfer would mostly help me, but what about people that use hopper timers to control stone gens, etc?
    Two hoppers that transfer items back and fourth.
    Seems like this would speed up the timers and only give you a delay of 5 items(stacks), where previously you had up to 320 items.
  4. It'll be fine, right now the speed is like 3 items a second, and i'm talking about changing it to 1 item a second (and be an entire stack at that). The ChestShop won't let you buy items at the rate of 1 a second already anyways...
    MR2R2M and Kells18 like this.
  5. Sounds good to me :D I say do it what ya gotta do to decrease that lag.
  6. I said that in the poll simply because of what I mentioned before, my head farm.
    Maybe I can try to explain.
    2013-09-09_20.24.42.png
    When I first made this, it was simple enough.
    I would suicide into the collection area above (a floor of hoppers), if I got a head, it would go into that top chest, trigger the lights via a comparator to tell me I had a drop, and then drop into the bottom chests so the lights would go off and essentially it would reset itself.
    After farming with a few friends this weekend, I realised that the light was never going on.
    After some testing, I saw that the hopper was taking the heads from the first chest so fast that the comparator was not being triggered.
    Now this is before you made this thread obviously, so what's going on there?
    I'm just worried that you might make the hoppers too fast for the comparator or even too slow, so the machine clogs up.
  7. Maybe you could have a setting somehow to let it change from stacks moved to single items moved (Maybe idk if that would work). It would help a lot because it would save some creations, while it can help others in say factories where there is a lot of items, (IDK just a suggestion)
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  8. Ok I like the idea but, I feel its going to mess up the hopper sorting if it moves more then 1 item at a time. i could be wrong. Is this something you can test on stage? I'm planing and using sorters a lot soon and, it would suck if they don't work.
  9. I have no problem with any changes to hoppers, I'll adapt my creations to work with the changes. But in order to make it easy to adapt I really would like to know the new values used once this change is finished.

Right now hoppers trigger a catch/send event every 8 game ticks, that is usually enough for a hopper underneath a 1 deep lava lake to save most item thrown into the lava, if that time is increased I guess that wouldn't work anymore.

Also brewing stations and automatic furnaces rely on those times to correctly move items around.

Other detail I would like to know if it were to be changed is the priority of the catch and send events. Right now the catch happens first, and then the send, so a column of hoppers feeding chests and receiving a constant flow of single items ensure the chests fill up from the one on the bottom to the one on top.

The only machine I think would be broken if the hoppers start sucking stacks instead of single items would be the automatic furnaces, as they try to distribute the items between a number of furnaces, but I think that can be corrected by inserting a dropper that fires a single item for a hopper to catch, and that would force the hopper chain to behave exactly as before, transporting one item at a time.
    MrUnknownian, jkjkjk182 and Pab10S like this.
  10. Yes. Good job at being creative Aikar!
  11. What's the difference for players? If tps is low, fps can't be high either, am I right?
    Do you have any suggestion on reducing fps performances on megamall-residences?
  12. :p Me and jc broke it :p ( j/k )
  13. It fixes lag? Well do it ;) I use hoppers but only to refill chests, nothing special.
  14. If only the speed of the hoppers and the quantity of items moved changes, then item sorters should not be affected. Since the system can be much faster than before, they can overflow much easier than before, but as long as you control the rate of item input you can prevent this.
  15. No they are not related at all.

You could have 500 FPS with 5 TPS, and you would notice stuff like players movement being "skippy", animals slow, registering attacks slow, etc.
  16. For those that use long-term timers, comparator clocks I say are the best substitution. They way they work is that after the input turns off, the signal strength for the output is reduced by 1 for every cycle. By adding more comparators, the delay will become longer.

When I first saw one of these clocks, I was trying to make a formula for how long a fixed redstone signal in will be in redstone ticks (1 redstone tick= 0.1 seconds).This is my prototype for the formula that I came up with:
    d= i +14c+1

Key:
    d- Signal Duration(Redstone Ticks

i- Input Signal Length

c-Number of Comparators

Here are some examples of comparator clocks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmc3E7rKvY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mBIU7yjRQE
  17. The order would be the same, just basically when a hopper takes action, it waits 8 ticks to do another round, and that would be increased (likely to 16, I think its 20 atm on SMP1).

For furnances, how would having more items break it? Don't auto furnances keep the furnace maxed out anyways? id imagine furnances should still behave the same if not better, as it would fully fill the furnances top slot and bottom, then push onto the next hopper and repeat.
  18. I use over 10,000 hoppers between all of my res's. Not saying even 100 of them have items int hem at any given same period of time, so the lag caused by them is minimal if any. I am for any change that will better the efficiency for the servers.

As for item sorters, I don't think they would be affected by this since the sorter still only pulls one event at a time (was 1 item, now would be up to a stack of 1 items). Unless I am missing something, the change would allow for faster sorting.
  19. It's not the rate of the hoppers, its the pulling more then one item out. Since you have to stack the item in the hopper but, always have 1 item that you want to sort out stay in the hopper, if it pulls more then 1 item it will pull the 1 that has to stay in the hopper, making the sorter useless.
  20. Would it force the entire stack out even with the redstone telling it to keep that amount in the hopper?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.