Has the weather/climate in your area been acting up in recent years?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by We3_MPO, May 14, 2018.

1. My area's weather in recent years seems to have been acting very weird and different. Now it can be divided into five approximate, basic seasons, although these are still moderately unpredictable:
    1. Late April to Late July: moderately hot and humid, getting progressively more hot and humid as it passes (occasionally, June and July can exceed 100 degrees; in fact, our record high was in June 2o12); afternoon thunderstorms from the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico are very common; nights are usually lukewarm (upper 50s to low 70s) and can be very foggy due to humidity, but may occasionally be slightly cool. This closely, but not fully, corresponds to the time of year that gets the most daylight and highest sun angle.
    2. Early August to Mid October: even hotter and more dry/less humid, with max temperatures towards the middle or end of August; droughts usually happen around this time of year, as most of our rain is supplied by hurricane remnants and failed hurricanes; weirdly, September is often hotter than July and October hotter than June, but the leaves still turn their colors in October for some reason despite the prolonged heat, and the heat usually isn't as humid (plus, we've had more time to acclimatize to it). I'm not sure if climate change is messing up our seasons, or if we've just been very unlucky to have repeated Indian Summers; however, a cold snap in Early September or Late August is not uncommon, and from what I've heard, Indian Summer is more likely if this happens.
    3. Late October to Early February: this period of time is consistently chilly (but not usually snowy or cold) closer to the beginning, but as you get later, snowy periods, single-digit/teens temperatures (Fahrenheit), and heat waves bringing back upper 50s/lower 60s temperatures are occasional. However, we usually only get one or two snowings, and they are often light and short-lived. I would consider this "Winter One", and it's also the period of time with the least daytime and lowest sun angle.
    4. Mid February to Late February: this time usually remains warm for weeks on end (generally 60s for the highs, but can drop into the upper 50s or rise into the 70s), and this combined with an increase in insolation causes most of our first blooms to return. Basically the only Spring we have.
    5. Early March to Mid April: this period of time is what I would call "Winter Two". It doesn't get as cold as Winter One, and warm periods are more common, but it is still often somewhat chilly, and we often get some of our heaviest snowfall in March, but it's usually in the early mornings and doesn't stick around for nearly as long as it does in January. Somehow, the Spring foliage and active cold-blooded animals manage to get through Winter Two just fine.