[Guide] Treasure Maps!

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by ThaKloned, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Big thanks to AlexC__ for another awesome banner!

This guide will help you use the new treasure maps that came with the 1.11 update.

A few items of note to bring with you on your journey:
    • A bed
    • An enderchest
    • Some shulker boxes if you have them
    • A boat
    • A horse
    • Plenty of food and torches
    • What ever armour & tools you want to bring
    Voters items are perfectly fine. It's what I use and I don't die that often.

Table of Contents
    *Warning* It's advisable to NOT open these maps in the waste at this time. They have a chance to direct you to a mansion/monument that is outside of the world borders.
  2. Treasure Maps

First step is to obtain a treasure map. For this you will need a new villager called a 'Cartographer'. Currently they have 2 kinds of maps. First is Monument Treasure Map and the 2nd is the Mansion Treasure map. Both require a trade of emeralds and 1 compass.

The Ocean Monument map will show the location of an underwater Guardian temple and they look like this:

The Mansion map will show the location of the new Woodland Mansions. They look like this:

For this guide I will be using a Mansion map. They both work the same way, it's just easier to a Mansion map as I will be hunting mansions only and we're all pretty familiar with Ocean Monuments by now. :p

So.. once you traded or purchased a map you will want to wait to activate it. First find the spot you want to start searching from. Once you have that spot, simply right click the map and the confirmation box will pop up.

3. The Search Begins

Now you are ready to search. The maps will always display with north at the top. First step is to locate the little white dot on the map.

This is your current location in relation to the Mansion/Monument. From the example above, we can see that the dot is in the bottom left corner and the mansion is closer to the top right corner. This means that we need to head north east from your current location.

This is the map we will be using for the guide:

The white dot is in the bottom left corner and the mansion is close to the right bottom corner. Unfortunately there is no way to know the actual distance before you start your search. Be aware that in some cases you might have to travel many 1,000s of blocks to find it.

What I find easiest is to pick a direction and keep going in that direction until you notice your dot moving. Once it has lined up either under, above or to either side of the mansion/monument, you can then change your direction which would put you directly inline with the mansion. I chose to first travel east. As you can see the dot started to move:

Once it was lined up under the mansion, I processed to travel north:

Once you get approx. 1,000 blocks away, the dot on your map get's much larger. This means you are close.

Once you are a few hundred away, the map begins to fill in with colour.

Finally, you have found your prize and it's time to explore it. As you can see on the picture below, your white dot is now more of an arrow on the map.

I don't want to give away too much of the interior and ruin your exploration. I will just mention a few things. The mansion is VERY dark in some places which means any hostile mob can spawn inside. You will want to have many torches to light the place up to make it safer.

*Safety Tip* either before you enter the mansion or as soon as you do, find a safe place to pop down your bed and enderchest. Light that area/room up and put up a door. This will be your base of operation. Just a safe spot to re-spawn in case you die or need to step away from your PC.
    Lomax70, AlexC__, Sealeon and 4 others like this.
  4. The Mansions Inhabitants

Besides your normal mobs, there are a few special mobs in here. These are the new 'Illager' mobs. The common ones are called 'Vindicators' and they look like this:

The boss Illagers are called, Evokers and they pack a punch.

Even on difficulty 1, they can hurt you fast. Evokers have a few attacks

First one is Fang attacks:

They are basically fangs that come up from the ground attempting to 'snap' shut on you while damaging you.

The 2nd attack is Vex summoning.

Vexes are small flying mobs that can go through walls and floors to attack you. They are very dangerous but they die off after awhile if left alone. An Evoker will continue to summon these things until it is dead.

Even a BlizzArd was roaming around the mansion! :D
  5. Gimme da Loot!

Throughout the mansion there are random chests with random loot inside.

Vindicators will drop 0-1 emeralds when killed (0-4 if using a weapon with Looting 3 on it) as well as slight chance of dropping their iron axe (which may or may not be enchanted).

Evokers will also drop emeralds at the same rates as Vindicators but will also always drop 1 Totem of Undying. This is the big prize. This is an item that can save you from death.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Hopefully this has been helpful to you and motivates you to explore the mansion for yourself! Please leave any comments or questions below.
  6. Now I'm going to bed. So tired... :D
    Tuqueque likes this.
  7. Bump for those not awake at 3 am :D
  8. I made my way to a woodland mansion and cleaned it out of Vindicators. I also placed torches throughout the structure to prevent unwanted mob spawns.

However, I cannot find an Evoker anywhere. It was my understanding that one spawns with each woodland mansion. Am I incorrect? Perhaps I haven't found all of the hidden rooms yet.
    ThaKloned likes this.
  9. That's exactly the key right there. I found a few hallways that have no entrance to them. I've also found a mansion that had only 1 Evoker and another that had 5 but I'm positive they should have at least 1.
    WolfInAction likes this.
  10. Some advice, I don't recommend opening these in the wastelands right now. You can get one that is beyond the world border! (Not sure if this is supposed to happen, I messaged the developers about it)
    ThaKloned likes this.
  11. Great point. Will add that to the top. Thanks :)
    jacob5089 likes this.
  12. So I've been searching all around this thing for a couple of hours now. Still no Evoker. I did find one small additional hidden room and a sizable cavern underneath the mansion. I've also found what appears to be structural flaws beneath the woodland mansion. There are several 1-2 space wide voids about 20 spaces high with no blocks in them at all.

I'm beginning to think I've discovered an oddball mansion and if there is an Evoker, it's somewhere very unusual.
  13. Maybe he fell down the cavern? I too just left one that had a huge lava pool in one of the room. And that's not suppose to be there lol
  14. http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Evoker

The Minecraft Wiki says Evokers are hostile to villagers. Aren't witches technically a villager variant?

There was a witch in one of the hidden rooms I found. I wonder if she killed it.
    ThaKloned and ChristmasTower like this.
  15. I want to say no because I did find a witch in a room with a Vindicator and they did not attack each others. AFAIK, they are only hostile towards players and Iron Golems.
  16. Only one way to find out is to search out more Mansions. I just happen to be selling both types of treasure maps on smp2 ChristmasTower-3 if you or any one else is interested.
    Hey Kloned nice guide...
    ThaKloned likes this.
  17. Agreed. I have more maps and I guess I'll just have to move on. It's disappointing to strike out on getting a Totem of Undying after journeying around 7000 blocks to get where I am. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the informative responses, guys.
    ThaKloned and ChristmasTower like this.
  18. This guide was very helpful and will continue to be in the future!
    One question.
    When I activated my map some all of it was blank but one spot that was full of color and showed the top/roof of the mansion. There was never a white dot either. I didnt know what that meant so I never searched the area. Yesterday when I looked at my map again the area of color was larger. It hasnt changed at all today but I am not going back to that map. I am going to buy/get a new one, but do you know why it was like this? If you would like a picture or something I can do so.
  19. Pretty sure that meant you where at the location lol That's odd that it was soo close though.
    LordessSpartan_ likes this.
  20. Means someone has already been to that mansion. When I activated mine yesterday it was blank and a message told me it was still unclaimed..
    LordessSpartan_ likes this.