[Guide] How to trade residences (/res changeowner)

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by ShelLuser, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Hi gang!

So yeah, a lot of things are happening right now (event preparations) and I figured that I should use the opportunity to address something which I've been curious about myself for quite some time now: ever since the Quality of Life update we're able to trade residences. So instead of using /res unclaim and thereby destroying all your buildings (careful with that command!) you can now actually 'give' your residence to someone else while keeping everything on it fully intact.

But as with so many things there are a few things to look out for, hopefully this guide can help.

Preparations

When you and someone else agree to trade residences then you need to make sure that you can actually do any trading at all. Basically: the player who will be receiving the residence needs to make sure that they have an open slot. Or, in other words, that they're capable of claiming a new residence.

How to check for that? Simple, using the /res command:

Here you see that my alt, TheOtherShell, owns 1 out of 2 residences. So, he has 1 open residence slot. If I wanted to I could check for an open residence and claim it. But... that's not what this guide is about ;)

Another thing to keep in mind is that a transfer isn't free. It will cost both players 25,000 rupees.

And finally: pay extra attention when you're transferring a residence to someone who isn't a supporter. As you might know supporters have a little bit of extra options on a residence; you can add more residence locations, more residence tags and fully customize the entrance/departure message. And because of that some settings will not retain depending on if you're a supporter or not.

Note that the entrance/departure message will always be reset. So if you want to keep that you may want to make a screenshot of those before doing the actual transfer.

Performing the actual transfer

If you and the new owner are both online then you can start the ownership transfer. Be sure to stand on the residence, then use the /res changeowner <new owner> command, where 'new owner' is obviously the name of the new owner. So in my example I used: /res changeowner theothershell. You'll immediately see a warning, which is soon followed by a confirmation message:

Subzones? That sounds interesting! :cool:

And, as mentioned, shortly after you'll see something like this:

After you confirmed the transfer then the new owner will roughly get the same kind of warnings and they will also need to confirm the transfer process by clicking on the green wool. After doing that both players will be charged for 25k rupees and the ownership will be changed shortly after.

Welcome to your new home TheOtherShell! :D

This is how it looked like on my end:

Dealing with the aftermath of a transfer

Although the structures will be kept on the residence, several specific settings like flags and groups will not. So it might be a good idea for the new owner to check the residence flags (using the /res cset command) and make sure to add any other players if they want to.

Also be sure to check up on the entrance and departure messages, provided that you're a gold or diamond supporter.

Then all that's left to do is enjoy your new residence if you're the new owner, or enjoy your free residence slot (and optional hunt for a new residence) if you're the previous owner ;)

And there you have it!

All steps involved with changing the owner of a residence. I hope this can be useful to someone!
    ExExUnderscore and Eviltoade like this.
  2. Great guide and what a rather nice bank account theothershell has.
    ShelLuser likes this.