[Guide] How to Allocate More Memory for Java (Windows + Mac)

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by BobTheTomato9798, Jan 10, 2013.

1. How much RAM does your computer have? Also, check to see whether your operating system is 64 bit. If it is you need to make sure you are running the 64 bit version of Java.

I use Windows 7 64bit with 4GB of RAM and seem to only be able to get away with using about 1GB for Java. It is probably because of the other things I run, like having several pages in a web browser open while playing.

The amount you have available will vary, but you can get an idea of what that might be by looking at Task Manager under the Performance Tab. Supposedly if you allocated too much you will see an error, but I wouldn't count on it. Try changing it incrementally, using 512, 768, 1024, 1536, 2048, and so on until you find a value that doesn't work then go back to whatever value worked last.
  2. Not sure why this is stickied. This doesn't even apply anymore. You can allocate more ram withing the launcher
    Pab10S likes this.
  3. They removed the sticky...
  4. Thanks for reminding me, Biscuitboy. I've been using the launcher to manage it myself but assumed we could do it either way.

I just tried unchecking the argument setting in the launcher then using the Java settings in Control Panel to set my memory and it looks like the launcher forces it back to the default 512M. It looks like if you are using the launcher you have to use it to control your memory settings rather than the Control Panels Java settings.

MCRAMSetting3.jpg
    supereskimo and cadgamer101 like this.
  5. Hey, I'm all for keeping this thread active haha, we get quite a bit of traffic off Google due to this thread.
  6. Well can I retake some screens and you just replace the info on the top. It's nice that it brings in traffic but it would be even sweeter if current processes were displayed.
    Pab10S likes this.
  7. What is the latest process to allocate more memory for Java ?
    Thanks.

8. I believe you can just use the MC launcher now.
    Pab10S likes this.
  9. Any more details would be appreciated.

10. I was using this parameter when I used to run MC using a batch file: -Xmx1G. When I started using MC Launcher I took that parameter and copied it into my profile.

MCArgs.PNG

-Xmx1G sets the max heap size to 1GB. I think when I started using it the default maximum was 512MB. This was way back when I started playing here(version 1.25?). I was looking around tonight and it looks like the default has been changed(or maybe I misunderstood it) so I'll have to take some time to reconsider what I use.

The amount you decide to use will depend on how much RAM your computer has. Mine has 4GB. When I was first experimenting with it 1GB improved performance and when I went to 2GB I think I had an error. Rather than mess around with something in between I went back to 1GB and have left it the same all this time.
    cadgamer101 and canuckshockey like this.