Guardian farm question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AmusedStew, Feb 7, 2020.

1. So- I am building a guardian farm atm and have already laid my hopper floor down and am about 25% done placing fence gates after which all that needs doing is building the spawning area and placing water. I am using Gnembon's design with hopper floor. In his video he says it gets 100k+/hr but that is if you have cleared the chunks surrounding the farm which I havent done and also EMC drops are about 1/4th vanilla's iirc so I am estimating the farm will get 16k/hr (maybe more maybe less?).

My question relates to item elevators and sorting systems.

I need to be able to bring the drops about 30 blocks up (I already have an item elevator design I have tested):
    • I need to know how many item elevators I should use to bring the drops up? Can one elevator handle it or no?
    • Should I connect each of those elevators into their own sorting system or lead everything to one centeral sorting system?
    I figure one of you people with guardian farms might know the answer to my questions.
    Thanks!
    ThaKloned likes this.
  2. We built one of the first of these farms on EMC and that was back before the drops where nerfed. There were absolute TONS of items and our little item elevator was able to handle everything, which led into 1 main sorting system.

The sorting system can sometimes be tricky with huge amounts of items. Also depends on the method you use for sorting Items (ex what items are in the sorting hopper).

One thing that can ruin everything though is your disposal system once those chests are full. (And they can fill up fast.) I learned this the hard way in my public utilities on Utopia. The regular disposal system just wasn't fast enough. I googled for awhile and then I found a very fast system. I've been using it for many months now and not one issue of backing up items. I can demo one for you if you'd like.

Lastly make sure that this design you are using still works past the 1.13 update since water significantly changed since then.
    AmusedStew likes this.
  3. I did indeed test the farm design in a single player world in 1.15 and it worked the same as it did in the 1.12 test world.

I will try out using just the one elevator for now since it worked for you- I can always fiddle and add another elevator if it comes down to it.

I had not even though about item disposal since I do not like going afk for long periods of time and am always keeping an eye on things (I only really go afk while my computer is nearby- such as if I am doing stuff in the background like Netflix or reading)... but considering I am not the only one who will be using it I will have to look into an item disposal system.

Thanks, that helped :).
    ThaKloned likes this.
  4. I use the glass item-elevator design at my guardian farm, however like Kloned said, disposal is very important for high-quantity farms. I recommend using hopper mine carts stacked to suck the excess items faster than a lone hopper can to try and avoid clogs in the system.
    AmusedStew likes this.
  5. Item disposal shouldn't be too difficult, but it could gobble up some space.

What you see here... The hopper chain moves items from the chest on the right into the chest on the left (obviously). Below the last hopper is another hopper which pushes into a dropper. The dropper is facing downwards towards a lava block. It's blocked by a redstone torch which is turned off until a threshold in the main chest has been reached (controlled by the subtracting comparator with redstone signal into the side).

The dropper is fully "stand alone", meaning so much that as soon as an item finds its way into the dropper then the redstone clock gets triggered which forces the item out. Provided... that the main chest has indeed reached its maximum capacity. Because even if an item finds its way into the dropper by accident then the redstone torch still blocks its functionality (one of the many weird redstone bugs we all came to depend on a bit).

Maybe this can give you some ideas?

(edit):

Or it could create new clogs. Sucking up items is one thing, processing them another, which still takes time. It depends on the design of course, but a hopper minecart isn't the best approach per definition.
    AmusedStew likes this.