Good Instructions for installing Ubuntu on windows..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Tehwafflez, May 2, 2012.

1. You really should know what you're talking about so you don't have to make such glaringly incorrect statements. First of all, the Linux kernel has been able to use the NTFS file system flawlessly for many years now. Second of all, Linux doesn't need Fat32. Linux supports Fat32, but nobody in their right mind would use Fat32 as their main Linux filesystem today. My personal favorites are ext4 and xfs, but those are just two of many to pick from.

Again, I strongly recommend for the beginning/rookie Linux user to use Wubi, which is as simple as running an installer in Windows and as simple to remove as running the corresponding uninstaller. Very low risk, very easy to do, very little impact on the rest of the system. If you start getting comfortable with Linux and more advanced computer management, then you can switch to proper partitioning and using grub and whatnot.
  2. I don't pretend to know too much about Linux but what I do know about is recovering data after a fatal crash (Windows speciality).
    Recovering data from a drive partitioned with different file systems can get messy if the OS has completely given up (think Windows again).
    Windows insist on an NFTS system for the system. I know Linux does not support NFTS and I will admit to not knowing what file systems Linux prefers.
    My point is about dealing with the fallout.
  3. Did you even read what I said? :p
    Unless you do something seriously wrong while you're in Linux (like get on your Windows partition and delete some important system files) I don't see how anything could go wrong. I've been dual-booting Windows and Linux since about 2003 or so, and I have yet to run into any serious issues.
  4. alex since you know what your doing here: my mom has a program called timezupkidz where it records how much time your on and gets you off computer after a certain amount.. Will this program run through ubunt after i install it with wubi? btw i have exe on desktop and plan to run it this morn.. i dont think it will run through ubunt because it uses windows os but idk
  5. No, that program will not carry over into Ubuntu. To install Ubuntu, you normally have to download a CD or DVD image and burn it onto a CD or DVD. I don't think I've ever seen Ubuntu come in an exe file before, but that could be something new they're doing, I guess.
  6. naw man its wubi you download the os through wubi no disc required i might burn a disc anyways i think i have an iso burner but its been awhile since ive done it
  7. Cool, that's new to me. Gets easier all the time. :)
  8. oh wow that is easy im totally doing this :D thanks flev and alex itll just take awhile to download :p
  9. Well I am officially running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS! I have to admit this is a nice OS. Wubi did partially slow down my system though it isn't that noticeable though.... Now, the real problem is I can't seem to open MC now! :( lol... I'll keep looking.. I found a JDK 7 Runtime app and I am opening through it.. The login screen comes up I log in it has already downloaded everything but then it blackscreens D:.. I'll try and figure it out but if not any help would be appreciated :D
  10. You may not have proper drivers for your graphics adapter. It's a little difficult for me to help you further without more information about your specs.
  11. yeah when I installed Ubuntu it said something about proprietary drivers not installed? Not really sure what that meant.. I'll update drivers for stuff and get back to you.