Fun photo (real) of Earth. :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ShadyShannon, Apr 26, 2012.

1. I feel left out in this conversation cause I'm one of those kids who have wanted to be in the army since I was like 2
  2. SecretAznEks and ISMOOCH like this.
  3. LOOOVE Neil deGrasse.. absolutely 100% like this
    Yukon1200 likes this.
  4. IRuffles and Yukon1200 like this.
  5. Neil is my hero.
  6. the narwhal bacons
    IRuffles likes this.
  7. We're really hijacking the thread. :3

Obvious fail PS is obvious
    Yukon1200 likes this.
  8. Neil DeGrasse Tyson meme :D
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  9. woot... reddit :3 xD

whats that.. you like space?.. how about some.. Reddit...
    Yukon1200 likes this.
  10. I have been a space junkie since I went to NASA Space Camp as a kid. It has always been my dream to help colonize a celestial body.
  11. I was watching a doco last night about the universe and how they think there are parallel universes and are in the process of proving they exist. They then had a section about the shape of our own universe and went on to show how they have proven that our universe is in fact flat. I was both astounded and excited at this stuff. Not so much at the parallel universe stuff though ... I'm still a little irky towards that theory. Especially the M Theory stuff they have come to while investigating String Theory.
  12. I figured it would be the appropriate to post this song in this thread.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  13. I'm not sure if this is true or not but i read somewhere that time changes speed depending on gravity. For instance time is slightly faster for the satellites orbiting earth. And apparently time almost stands still inside a black hole.
    Space is crazy and makes me think about stuff XD
  14. Yep, this is true. GPS satellites, e.g. have these two effects on them:
    • Special Relativity predicts that the on-board atomic clocks on the GPS satellites should fall behind clocks on the ground by about 7 microseconds per day because of the slower ticking rate due to the time dilation effect of their relative motion.
    • A prediction of General Relativity is that clocks closer to a massive object will seem to tick more slowly than those located further away. As such, when viewed from the surface of the Earth, the clocks on the satellites appear to be ticking faster than identical clocks on the ground. A calculation using General Relativity predicts that the clocks in each GPS satellite should get ahead of ground-based clocks by 45 microseconds per day.
    So, in sum, GPS clocks move 38 ms ahead of on-the-ground clocks every day. May not seem like much, but the high-precision required of the GPS system requires nanosecond accuracy, and 38 microseconds is 38,000 nanoseconds. If these effects were not properly taken into account, a navigational fix based on the GPS constellation would be false after only 2 minutes, and errors in global positions would continue to accumulate at a rate of about 10 kilometers each day!
    ShadyShannon and Yukon1200 like this.