First month of school. (School AMA)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Cordial_Pie, Sep 19, 2013.

?

pie

pie 10 vote(s) 43.5%
3.14 13 vote(s) 56.5%
  1. Actually, those who are homeschooled are shown to get better jobs and have better lives than non-homeschooled people.
    DeadPresident likes this.
  2. :)
  3. Cool! It's my first month of school too! :D
  4. I would like to see some evidence behind that, because most exemplary universities won't even look at homeschooled students. Also, homeschooled students tend to be more socially awkward, but that doesn't mean they are worse than public schooled students. Heck, "popular" girls are the most annoying humans I know. Being quiet isn't so bad.
    Jake_bagby likes this.
  5. "tend" Not meh :p, anyways, I have home-schooled friends who go to great collages... with scholarships too...
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  6. Yis
    Hmm, having two gym classes. We only need one.
    12-13 years old.
    Worst? Hmm, I suppose Dance, since I'm not really turning in my practice homework for it.
    ScarTheNinja likes this.
  7. Great colleges, yes. But then there are those schools who require crazy academics, plus other activities and leadership roles. Those kinds of colleges often overlook homeschooled students because they aren't thrown into a leadership environment all that often, and colleges look for consistency. Not everyone needs to go to a school like Rose Hulman, but in the end, the majority of students who go to colleges like that are the ones who get the better jobs. :)

I would just like to note that I am neutral about the who home-public thing, but there are differences. :)
  8. Dude are you in my flippin class.
    We did the exact same thing.
    Let me guess.
    You also read the rue morgue and a book about this guy getting stranded on an island and killing a general or something.
    I thought you were in high school cordial...
    Meh.
    Here's my question
    If a banana is purple, is an apple a vegetable?
    Valid or invalid.
  9. Do you have any big exams this year? ;)

Because in Year 9 in England (7th Grade in America) we choose 'options' to do year 10 GCSEs (8th Grade in America :p) and at the end of Year 10 we choose Year 11 GCSE options (9th Grade in America). Then we go on to apprenticeship or Sixth Form for 2 years when we're 16.
  10. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/nov/30/testing-proves-success-of-grads/
    DeadPresident likes this.
  11. What's your favorite class? And are you excited for this weekend right now?
  12. That references history as the only example of homeschooled students doing better. American history, at that. Those scores really don't matter, and likely it was a last resort attempt. Math, writing, science, and English scores are what really show who is "smarter." American history knowledge is practically useless in a career to be honest, unless you are in a history heavy field, which is a very small minority. That article proves nothing besides that the very top of the homeschooled students score a bit higher than your average college attendant when it comes to core subjects.
    cddm95ace likes this.
  13. http://www.home-school.com/news/homeschool-vs-public-school.php

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_is_homeschooling_better_than_going_to_school
    This question's answer really sums up why homeschooling is better than public/private schooling
    ScarTheNinja likes this.
  14. Why is everyone in the EMC community my age ;_; lol.
  15. Once again, history. Graduation rates don't matter, if someone really has the motivation to graduate, they will. National averages on that site are not entirely true. All public school students are required to take such tests as those used, and homeschooled students have a choice. Thus, the data isn't useful due to different requirements. Once again, with the college GPA and graduation rates, they are using inappropriate conditions. They are comparing schools that basically draft highschoolers who normally wouldn't go on to college, to schools that are made up of mostly homeschooled students. You can't test a students maturity, so that section is complete BS.

What you linked is a good example of persuasive writing, and a good example of a weak-based researched paper.
    That answer has quite a few basic grammatical errors. Learning at one's own pace is theoretically good, but in real world situations, it proves to be bad. Your employer isn't going to sit around while you tweedle around because you don't know how to deal with different paces and such. Also, that person must have had horrible teachers. At my school, my teachers beg us to ask questions, and they usually stay after school for several more hours than required. I often get into discussions with them about my subjects, and I can get help if needed.

The first link is incredibly biased, and the second link is an opinion by someone who seems to be another biased, shaky source.
  16. Ummm...
  17. Then i can't do anything else for you unless i test a person who is homeschooled, public schooled and private schooled. The rest, in your words, would be a "Shaky source."

I apologize if i sound rude, rumors are begining to spread about me here on the EMC fourms and i am highly hurt and angry.
  18. I haven't heard any such rumors, and only you aren't coming off as rude. :) The problem is that your sources are a home-schooling site, a wiki anonymous opinion, and a report that isn't conclusive. The fact is, is that home-schooling isn't better than public, and public isn't better than home-schooling. It all comes down to the student. They are the ones who determine how well they will do. Some people are just naturally not smart. Some are naturally gifted. But in general, the average student will be equally successful.

Also, don't listen to the news about how well public/private schools perform. Its all useless information.
  19. In my opinion, public schools absolutely suck, There like, oh my god! He's eating yogurt! That's bad for you! you going to die of diabetes! I am just like.... Get out of my private affairs stupid government... how about you focus and the debt you have made the US get into instead of trying to control me...
    oidgod likes this.
  20. O.O Where is your school? As in, general area. Mine gives out yogurt once a week haha, but I bring my own lunch. And what do you mean by control? I have a huge amount of freedom at my school, in pretty much every category.