End the track based madness!!!!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Extendingskys_, Jan 3, 2014.

1. There is no need to respond like that. Green is being nice and trying to test this with you, be nice.

And for this thread whats it matter to you how others build there tracks? If some one wants to use 8k powered rails they can, its there choice.
    jrm531 and Luckygreenbird like this.
  2. 1. Procedure was not stated in OP.
    2. Others deny your original point.
    3. I did not make a claim to you having no proof. But now looking back at it you actually did not supply any until I replied with my own results.
    4. Over using track? If you may, the OP has a lot of deterring figures here and there surrounded by caps and other excessive pieces. Clean up the whole thread and make your point clear.
    5. Inaccuracy is a part of theory, needs multiple tests, so why can't my tests compliments your to help draw a conclusion?
    6. You can't just pull 6.4% out of the head, there had to be math done to get this. Pieces and parts that make the answer might need to be double checked, thereby I have double checked both. <-- I hope to find an answer closer to yours to make a better conclusion.
    7. We are still looking for a conclusion here, no? I will read up on that link.
  3. Number 7 is where our conflict comes from. I am not looking for a conclusion still. I had read what other people found, and I had done my own tests. Asking if it worked on corners and chests is one thing, but doing a poorly designed test and telling me I am wrong is not cool.

If you want to do these tests and scientifically double check my answers, here are my procedures.
    Materials: Stopwatch, minecraft, computer.
    Procedures:
    1. Enter a superflat world in Minecraft made using 64 layers of stone, 1 layer of rail, 3 layers of air and 1 layer of glowstone. (2;0x7,0x3,0x2,64x1,1x66,2x0,1x89;8;) <--The code for that
    2. Every other line of rail build a cart launcher (a block with 3 powered rails in front, and a block with a button on top) where the third rail is at -1 on the direction that the rails are lined up in.
    3. Starting in front of the 3rd powered rail of the (W)th launcher, begin placing a pattern of 1 powered rail then (X) standard rails until the 200th block is reached. Place a redstone block underneath of each powered rail.
    4. Repeat step 3 where W = 1 until 60 and X = 0 until 59
    5. Launch a minecart from each minecart launcher while riding in it. Start the stopwatch once you finish the first 3 powered rails, and end the stopwatch when you are at the 200th rail.
    6. Divide 2000 by the times and those are the rates. Subtract 8/speed from 100 and that is the percent you have slowed down.
    6. The average speeds at which the minecart travels is the speeds, and the slowdown is the second figure you came up with in 6.
  4. Your point could have been made MUCH better using a quote from the source you had just posted.
    Using the chart found right above the quoted material on that page tells me what the variable are when making the test. The difference ended up being a whole percentage. Without that vital information a procedure was needed as the OP was not clear. A simple list of statistics is not enough to prove a point because the reasoning portion was left out. Take into consideration cost effectiveness as well as efficiency. Of which do we want to be "optimal"? Were you initially upset because rails are expensive or that gold is expensive? Such an approach was not made clear.
    However I have delved to assume that is why you concerned this topic. So is "End the Track Based Madness!!!!" a way to say rail prices have gotten out of hand?
  5. I thought I had made pretty clear that end the rail based madness meant stop using too many rails.
    and
  6. But you never said why. You issued your command. You made it clear. But you never said why I shouldn't try to get the best rail I could, no matter if it took one powered rail every 9 or one every 34 to get 0% slowdown. We are looking at rails that are meant to be several kilometers long. That makes a small percentage change very grand because of the scale of which it is being used. And because the rails are so long I try to transport as many items as I can in a single run. I want to recover from possibly being derailed as fast as possible. Downtime from being derailed is dramatically increased when powered rails don't come close together.

Though 8k of nothing but powered rails might be a little excessive. The typical layout (usually around 8-15 regular rails followed by 1-4 powered rails) is set up by users who want a best fit rail for their needs.
    darkvilla likes this.
  7. You're actually able to go about 200 blocks including slowing down with one powered rail.
  8. .04% becomes 1 extra second of 2000 meters. I know people like efficiency, but come on.
    42 becomes 17 extra, 48 becomes 51 extra, and 59 is 100 extra.

And I also stated that 1 every 3 blocks is the exact same as 1 every 30 blocks.

EDIT: Also, jay, that is probably incorrect. According to the wiki, the maximum range is 80.
  9. Also, another additional factor of math is that if you go from 1 rail every 8th block to 1 every 32, you cut the number of rails you need by 4, which, even over a distance of just 2 kilometres is 250 to 63. That means 250 gold vs 63 gold.