Empire Marketing

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by TheCritic, Aug 17, 2017.

1. I want to be able to advertise and market my Empire on other platforms (fb/twitter/radio/tv) and receive rewards (or maybe cash) based on my citizen count (or citizen supporter count).

My outpost is on Utopia, so by definition it is supporter only. I'd like my ppl to get 30 days of Frontier access free with ppl joining my Empire.

I think marketing awesome Supporter communities is a great way to drive revenue.
  2. This seems a bit more like a u want them to help you and not the u help them....
    I don't see how this benefits anyone but you directly -1
    BlitzAttack likes this.
  3. In your reply, who is the "them"? Emc? They benefit from every supporter. The citizens? They benefit by finding an amazing Minecraft experience due to increased marketing. Maybe I didn't understand your question.

4. I don't think you understand "empires." Or EMC.

The idea behind Empires is to provide a framework in-game for you and your friends to play together in the wild, to form communities and establish ownership of an area in ways default Minecraft doesn't. It is not, however, a Facebook social game. There are rewards for getting your friends to join EMC, in the form of referrals, but nothing to the extent you're suggesting.

Perhaps that's a possibility Aikar and Krysyy can revisit, expanding and/or adjusting the referral system. I doubt anything as extensive as "30 days of Utopia Frontier access" is on the table, and I frankly wouldn't support such a move myself, but I'm just EMC's resident tiger and purveyor of sagely wisdoms, not its policy maker.

To impart a bit of said wisdom, I would advise you to avoid making future suggestions sound like open demands. "I want this, I want that," reads very poorly, and even if your suggestion or idea is brilliant and well-developed, phrasing it in such a manner will turn many people off, as the tone sounds rude and greedy. Try tempering it a bit - "I would like," or "I think it would be a good idea to," is essentially saying the same thing, but in a way that comes across as substantially more polite and deferential. Remember, you're trying to convince people that your idea is a good one - word your proposal accordingly. :)
  5. You make in-game money from referrals as is. To add money would not be feaseable. Companies do it that way only if the person signs up and pays money for their service when them make millions to start with.
  6. Maybe it's just me but I get the impression that your last two statements kind of contradict each other. Well, considering your name I feel kind of free to do a little bit of criticizing myself (all within reason of course), but yeah..

Still, pardon me for actually playing the devils advocate here but this sounds a little unfair towards all those other players who either saved up money, got parents approval, used a part of their monthly paycheck or... actually worked hard in game to buy a supporter voucher (either with real money or in-game).

Also because it was your choice to start an outpost in the Frontier in the first place. You already benefit from quite a few extra perks such as no fall damage, no nightfall, etc. Wouldn't it be fair to say that you could have seen this coming the very moment you started playing there?

And that's not even addressing the problem with the whole scheme: new players already have to take in a lot when starting on the Empire. Which is one of the impressive parts of EMC in my opinion: at first hand it all looks and feels simple enough yet when you start digging into the system you'll soon learn just how complex and diverse it actually is.

New players already get confused with things such as starting in the Frontier vs. starting in town. How long before we'll get complaints from new(er) players who got used to playing in the Utopian Frontier without realizing that it was a temporary perk and now kind of feel "ripped off" because the only alternative is actually spending money.

One way or the other I somewhat consider this a (mild) form of aggressive marketing: giving players a huge perk, then taking it away from them "because" and having them pay for it in order to continue using it.. I can see the drama unfold already: "But I build stuff in the Frontier and now you're not letting me get to MY STUFF, that's SO UNFAIR!"

-1, definitely not a fan of this idea. Also because I seriously doubt this would actually persuade players to play.

I mean... the support perks are awesome in my opinion and also quite fair if you ask me (especially in comparison to some of those on "the other places we do not speak of here") , but the best way to truly enjoy and appreciate them is to already be a little familiar with the Empire gameplay.

As always just my 2 cents.
    Kephras likes this.
  7. You're going to advertise on television and radio. Wow, that's very expensive. What television channel?
  8. Thanks guys for a lively conversation. This has been great.

Let me address the items from a few posts here:

'I don't think you understand "empires." Or EMC.'
    Probably not. I am always open to learn.

'Perhaps that's a possibility Aikar and Krysyy can revisit, expanding and/or adjusting the referral system.'
    Perhaps. This is what I want. I want Starlis to be wildly successful and profitable. This is one of many ideas I have to achieve this desire.

'I doubt anything as extensive as "30 days of Utopia Frontier access" is on the table'
    My bet is, if you look at the logs, the vast number of EMC players join and do not play more than 3 hours total before flittering off to some other pursuit, rarely to be seen again. I think the thing that makes EMC sticky is making a friend. Once you have a friend here, you stay here. If you are going to make a friend here, I want it to be a supporter, so that you to will be encouraged to also be a supporter.

"I would advise you to avoid making future suggestions sound like open demands."
    You are probably right about that. My work environment is very direct, and a "Suggestion Box" sounded to me like an invitation. "I wonder what our customers want?" So that was the question I had in mind when writing the post.

"Well, considering your name I feel kind of free to do a little bit of criticizing myself "
    That is so awesome. Thanks!

"unfair towards all those other players who either saved up money, got parents approval, used a part of their monthly paycheck or... actually worked hard in game to buy a supporter voucher (either with real money or in-game)."
    It feels unfair that my cable company offers their introductory packages, while I pay full price. It feels unfair that my cellphone company offers a cellphone buyout, but only to new customers. It feels unfair that my bank is offering a $50 gift card as a sign up bonus for opening a checking account. It may fee unfair, but the person trying your product is taking a risk. It is reasonable to offer things/discounts/rewards for taking the risk with the product.

I would quote almost the rest of your post here, but no need. Your comments show that you understand my idea completely and correctly, you just disagree. And that is fine. Ignorance or misunderstanding should be corrected, you understand and disagree. Which, again, is awesome! Thanks for participating!

"You're going to advertise on television and radio."
    Man, it is so much cheaper than you think. And it can be a lot of fun! Based on feedback so far, if is looking like this idea is not positive in the eyes of those in the forum. So, don't hold your breath :) Also, probably not. Having ideas and following through with them are entirely different things.
  9. If you get them to refer you when they log in you do get 5k