EMC T-Shirts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theenigmaparadox, May 27, 2012.

1. Copyright law:
    Copyright does not cover ideas and information themselves, only the form or manner in which they are expressed.[18] For example, the copyright to a Mickey Mouse cartoon restricts others from making copies of the cartoon or creating derivative works based on Disney's particular anthropomorphic mouse, but does not prohibit the creation of other works about anthropomorphic mice in general, so long as they are different enough to not be judged copies of Disney's.[18] In many jurisdictions, copyright law makes exceptions to these restrictions when the work is copied for the purpose of commentary or other related uses (See Fair Use, Fair Dealing). Meanwhile, other laws may impose additional restrictions that copyright does not — such as trademarks and patents

Fair use:
    Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

I dont mean to be a spoiler but it is better not to ask for trouble. I know that it is for fun and all but Kalland Labs and EMC would be in a world of hurt if we make t-shirts to sell without a license. Fair use does not include "to cover costs" I have seen people thought that before and have to pay every penny made, even costs.
  2. As one of those Minecrft YouTubers, I've looked into this. There's a sentence in Mojang's little permissions document thing that allows people to do YouTube videos, with some restrictions. It doesn't allow for Minecraft T-Shirts, but these are Empire Minecraft themed, and (I'd have to go back and read it again to be sure) I think that might be ok.

I do sprayed shirts, which look awesome (I did a Calvin and Hobbes one that took 8 hrs, but was completely worth it). I could do personal designs for people, though large quantities might be a bit difficult, and I'm not sure if J & J would be happy with that.
  3. Unfortunately the MC in EMC stand for Minecraft. EMC is a minecraft server. Using the EMC logo alone would be infringement.
    http://www.minecraft.net/brand-guidelines

Edit: I did not want to announce it but I have been working in obtaining a license from Mojang. It is very difficult as Minecraft alone is valued at over 100 million dollars. They are very protective and needless to say one guy or small community will have lots of trouble obtaining one. I have already submitted six different proposals and been rejected. They want lots of money plus assurance that it will further their goals and not hurt the brand.

We cannot obtain a license for EMC, only Justinguy and ICC can request it. As they own it.
  4. All that is fine and dandy but i forgot to mention the most important part of companies coming afer you for infringement. You have to be worth Suing! Other than that they would just send a stop letter.

I bought a kit back in 1999 that included the "Iron-on" material to run through a inkjet printer to make my own T shirts. I made several for the big Millennium and year 2000 bug (Y2K) as it was called.
    I wonder if kits like that are still around??? :cool:

EDIT: Same company still making the kits.
    http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Demos/Product-Demos/Avery-T_Shirt-Transfers.htm

I agree that it would be quite a different thing to make several hundred shirts for EMC members.

If you had a 100 Million dollar company, would worry about a group like us making shirts just for fun. I would sure hope not. It would be in their best interest to give away a few 1000 shirts to people playing or purchasing minecraft. The more people that see this out in the public the more interest from non-minecrafters there will be.
  5. I like this.
  6. Scrolls.
  7. Let's call it ENMC (Empire Not-Minecraft) so they can't come after us waving copyright laws. :p
  8. Scrolls.
  9. So now we can call ourselves Empire Scrolls?
    Forgive my confusion.
  10. Bethesda/Zenimax actually copyrighted the use of the word Scrolls for video games. Mojang's new game Scrolls is the last game that can use it without a license from them. That is how silly copyrights are.
  11. Oh, I see what you're saying.
    I haven't really been following scrolls much, but I did remember a lot of previous games called scrolls, or something like that.
  12. Well I haven't been following it either. It was kinda big news for awhile about the whole copyright thing.
  13. I completely agree, one of my arguments was that in fact, I was asking if just for a small community that would help promote the game as with a cult following.
    Their response:
    Basically no, not now, not ever. Unless you guys are willing to pony up about 150k it will not happen. They will not sue it is true but they will forbid any dispensing of articles or promotion forthwith thru any public means. That includes EMC forums. If you guys want to it privately go for it, don't put Justin and Jeremy in a precarious legal situation, they do more than enough for us.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I wanted this to happen so badly. I will make a contest to design shirts, the winners will get the samples. If anyone wants to contribute their own shirts fell free to do so. I currently have $200 set aside to make and ship them. I will donate the rest of the shirts to various groups to give as prizes to contests and events. This is something Mojang will allow.
    If anyone know how to set up a page for the contest please PM me. I wont accept any donations. I will be asking for permission from ICC and help from the mods to make it happen.
    nmanley likes this.
  14. I might just try this. To buy it would be rupees!;)
  15. Think is that we don't want them for fun, we want to see them... on us!

Also: All you guys have been wasting your time discussing around the permissions, copyrights and such.
    That line in there revoques us the right to use the logo, so as i stated above, we need written permission from them.
  16. I got permission in a conversation with ICC.
    Can you help me set up the contest, yes I also got permission for it.

1. ure, if you're making the t-shirts not to sell but for fun, that'd be okay. :)

IcecreamCow, Friday at 4:55 PM

xatharon Diamond Supporter

Thanks, just one more. Can I set up a contest to design shirts? The idea is to give one of each of the three winning shirts to the three winners. Then give the shirts to various groups to give as prizes to contests and events, also if I can send some to you and Justin plus some shipping labels for your selves and to send to the mods. I wont be asking for addresses.

xatharon, 52 minutes ago

2. IcecreamCow Administrator

That sounds like that'd be okay. :)

IcecreamCow, 51 minutes ago
  17. Since it is for our small group of people and it's approved by the people who count from KallandLabs there would be no issue or repercussions from Mojang on this as we are so small. Remember there may be 30,000+ members of EMC but only a few hundred are on the forums total.

If I find some art I want to use from the internet to make a T shirt for myself then damned be the lawyers far as I'm concerned.
  18. i Can Ask My Neighbor To Make A Couple

[Edit] With The Permission Of Justin Or Jeremy
  19. Yes, but you can't start selling it commercially to members of EMC. You can make some for you and a few friends, but as soon as money comes in to the picture, it's a big no-no.
    JabrZer0 and nmanley like this.
  20. What does endorse mean? :D