Do you know what time 23 Feb 00:00 GMT is?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Feb 21, 2017.

?

Do you know when 23 Feb. 00:00 GMT is?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2017.
Yes, I know 00:00 & the time difference between EMC time (EST) and GMT. 6 vote(s) 75.0%
Sort off: I have no clue what 00:00 is suppose to mean. 1 vote(s) 12.5%
Sort off: I know 00:00 but have no idea what GMT is. 1 vote(s) 12.5%
No, this totally confused me. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other (please leave a comment below!) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. I'm not going into too many details; for reasons which are my own I'm a bit curious if you guys understand what this time specification stands for :D

Even so... I figured... Let's ask the community.
    Equinox_Boss and TomvanWijnen like this.
  2. i think that the 00.00 is mostly the problem
    is it 00.00am or pm
    and which one of those 2 is midnight
    i think i'm not the only one having problems with that

edit: i don't agree with closing the auction tho
    this could just have been fixed by asking him to clarify
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. Should be the morning of Feb 23rd (7PM 22nd Feb EMC time)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Let's assume it's Saturday.

Saturday 00:00 GMT (The UK atm) is Saturday 01:00 CET (The Netherlands atm) and Friday 19:00 EMC time (New York atm). :)

In other words, Sat 12:00 AM GMT is Sat 01:00 AM CET and Fri 7:00 PM EMC time. :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. Yah. There is no am/pm in a 24hr notation ;)

But my main concern is basically what Allicanto also hinted at: would this be confusing to you in an auction?

An auction got recently blocked because a moderator deeemed the time not clear enough and well, I seriously disagree with that decision. 24hr time notation is an internationally accepted one, so yah...
  6. It's more widely used than the am/pm notation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock, and there's nothing unclear about it at all, if anything, I'd say military time is more confusing, due to 12 PM and AM being wrong (they're swapped around from how they should be).
    Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  7. My thoughts exactly. I more than often get those confused myself as well. But I did manage to grasp some of it thanks to "At Morning" and "Past Morning" but yeah.

(edit): But do be careful with Wikipedia because they don't always provide facts. However, in this case I can't help wonder :)

In the end I suppose a big influence is what you're used to and grew up with. But even so, EMC is pretty much an international server so I think it's not that unfair to expect the ability to use international notations.

Oh well... I kinda did something just now, we'll see what happens next :D
  8. Wasn't this in an auction or something ? Lol
    EquableHook likes this.
  9. Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  10. 00:00 = Beginning of the day.
    GMT = The UK's time zone during daylight saving, and also what every other time zone is added or subtracted from.

Why would this be confusing to anyone lol.
    That's ridiculously stupid. 'EMC time' is far more confusing than using the time zone that's referred to in everything time-related and a clock that actually makes sense, to the point where I completely avoid using it.