[DISCUSSION] Ferguson, Missouri

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChamelonNYC, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Since when does it take 12 rounds to stop someone. Don't say he couldn't aim as an excuse. When you are training you are taught how to aim.
    Gawadrolt and SoulPunisher like this.
  2. I'm not going to get into this too much, but I find gun control an interesting topic.

So, I was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania of the United States. I'm in high school now, and last year my French teacher made a small remark on how strict police are in France. As in, far, far more strict.

He's got a story that one of his American friends (I'll call him bill, because pronouns get confusing for me :confused:), bill, had his bike robbed. As the french police were asking bill several questions (ones that bill thought were too private or irrelevent), bill was detained after beginning to argue with the policemen.

He also said that the gun laws were very strict compared to the us (And mumbled that it doesn't help the citizens protect themselves, lol) So I decided to just look up some statistical comparisons between the US and France crime rates and gun control

For anyone who's interested:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/France/United-States/Crime
    http://www.veganpeace.com/gun_control/gunlaws.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

There's a pretty strong correlation (at least with what I gathered) that proves that gun control does not make a country less safe. In fact, one could argue the opposite. France has policies to keep automatic firearms completely prohibited, and almost every category of homicide or violent crimes are 3 times less than the United States. and it's a ratio, not just solid numbers.

The last wikipedia source has statistics showing that France has a rate of 3 gun-related deaths per 100,000 people, while the US has a rate of 10.

Just gonna throw this in there, the UK only has a rate of 0.26 in that last category. Superb work UK
  3. I told myself I would just observe lol. I did some math in a post a while back on the number of criminal deaths/gun in the US vs Australia. What I found was that there were about 40% more deaths per gun in Australia compared to that of the US. One also has to take into consideration that ~2/3 of the US's gun deaths are suicides.

Another thing is that automatic weapons are rarely used in crime in the US. They are very expensive, large, and hard to come by. The vast majority of firearm homicides are done with cheap, small, low powered guns. Gun control would almost certainly not touch the guns that cause 99.99% of the problems.

What we need is people control, not gun control. Better, longer background checks, longer wait periods, etc. That is all we can do to avoid mass shootings. There is almost no way to avoid average criminal shootings though. Gun control and people control won't touch that, mainly because criminals and gangs can get firearms from illegal sources.
    ShelLuser and Dragonhawk32 like this.
  4. "Since when does it take 12 rounds to stop someone. Don't say he couldn't aim as an excuse. When you are training you are taught how to aim. "

This is the response of someone who has never been in a stressful situation. After action interviews from shootings will often have officers who don't have any idea how many rounds they fired. I remember one where the officer said he fired three or four times, but when his weapon was inspected, it was empty. A life or death situation takes all logic away, which is why I always advocate training to an extreme degree.

At the point that you experience an adrenaline dump, your body does a lot of things. Brain power is shifted from cognizant action to instinct. Capillaries constrict, reducing motor movement (the ability to aim a gun is a good example). Time dilation can occur, meaning you see things faster or slower than they happened. Again, training is a great way to reduce these effects, but I'm talking about maybe a 15% reduction.

Combat troops see the same effects, and their training and equipment is far superior to that of officers. Police are not only trained to use their weapons, but in many other areas. Often, you'll find law enforcement officers in private classes brushing up on basic fundamentals of marksmanship. All that's taught in most academies is the same thing that's taught to boy scouts, with the addition of room clearing.

Sure, we can do ice drills and stress courses, we can run your heart rate up and get your arms shaking. I can yell at you that a threat you've engaged is still alive, while your weapon is empty, and you've got saltwater misted on your eyes. I can produce some of the most stressful situations while maintaining a standard of safety, but I cannot duplicate an actual fight-for-your-life scenario. Everything we can do is giving you a better chance in a gunfight, but no threat is going to stand still in a well lit room and hold a T-zone card over his chest.

So, if someone is coming after me, and I'm asked why I fired 12 rounds, my answer will be "Because I didn't have 13."
  5. FDNY21 and SoulPunisher like this.
  6. Yah, I was also not going to comment but heck.. I find this topic intriguing because it shows that some issues are not restricted to one country but happen all over the place. A (somewhat) likewise incident happened in Holland recently, two of them even. The only reason I respond is because the topic shifted a little bit to gun control or limitation but... Even that won't always work out.

Not too long ago a man got arrested in Holland who resisted arrest, this seems always to be the key issue. So the officers held him to the ground in a semi or full choke hold because (as I understood it) he heavily resisted and they needed several officers to hold him down. Result: the person died.

So taking the guns away from the police doesn't automatically mean that you'll stop accidents from happening.

But even we have incidents where someone resists arrests and ends up getting shot. It happened a few months ago where a person was supposed to be arrested near a train station and he threatened the officers by claiming that he had a firearm. So when he reached into his pocket the officers fired. Later investigation learned that he was in fact unarmed.

Now... I'll be the last to claim that the police never makes any mistakes and/or is always right. But I also think it's fair to say than in most of these incidents the suspect never came quietly. They always resisted arrest, either by force or using violence or by threatening to use violence.

And although I do not condone or agree with police officers shooting unarmed suspects, I do think it's fair to wonder about how those suspects would generally act within our society. If they already feel perfectly justified and/or secure enough to threaten police officers then how would they react when they got a beef with an unarmed random individual?

Because that is also an important aspect with these issues, at least in my opinion.

So yah, I can't help believe that if those individuals didn't resist arrest that the incident most likely would never have taken place.
  7. As far as Ferguson goes, I don't believe in calling protests riots. Riots happen when idiots get upset over a ball game and tear up the town. Not when their families are being murdered and they stand in protest. There was a lot of coverage of government and police inciting violence by dressing in civilian clothing and destroying property and encouraging illegal action. Arguably to justify the SOE.

With gun control, people here dont seem to understand that the gun laws in the US are ALREADY strict. If i went to cabellas to get a rifle i would have to wait 2-6 weeks for them to get a baclground check on me before i could go to pick up my gun. A law aviding citizen that has never broke the law, served in the armed forces and lives in one of the most LENIENT states on gun control.

Its possible to get a gun in the US without a background check, legally but those circumstances aren't readily available to anyone that wants to just go buy a gun and that argument is very moot. Its also possible to get a gun in every country in the world without a background check. Its just illegal. Again making most of these gun control laws moot at best.

If you look at specifically crime committed by people in any country in the world by people that LEGALLY own and LEGALLY aquired their guns the numbers would look completely different than what we are actually looking at. There are some 200-300 million guns in the US(owned by citizens LEGALLY). 2-3 times that if you include the G-Mens weapons and the "illegal" weapons as well. If you want to take JK's approach and look at crime compared to number of guns then gun crime in US is lower than even the UK, NOT some 40 times the Uk.

Disclaimer: I use weapons and guns interchangeably in this post thanks to military PC brainwashing. I tried not to but it happened so many tines that I'm not going back and trying to correct it on the horrible mobile interface I'm currently using.

Edit: I agree completely with disarming the US police force and have submitted local petitions for such. I think the police would stay in their lane and respond when necessary if they weren't carrying around loaded weapons all the time. I have also expressed much support for open carry laws for the same reason: to stifle the police idea that they are the ones with ultimate authority in our country.
  8. The video of what is supposedly Mike brown stealing stuff from a shop and the smear campaign ran by fox news has been refuted many times by fact checking websites and locals. The night after the first supposed "riots" I saw the street that these "riots" were on. There was the one place that caught on fire and all the other stores in the area were not only intact but open with people coming and going. This whole ordeal was highly propagandized by both sides in the media and served ultimately to drive a divide on the issue sobdeep that any one talking sense was seen as an outsider to either extreme.
  9. So think of the body as a car. The driver is heading straight for you. You are a police officer. The only thing that you have is a gun. So at first, you would want to shoot to disable the vehicle in some way, so that the person driving at you at full speed is going to face justice. After the car passes a "safety line" if you will, that is when you shoot to kill the driver, BUT that is used as a final defense. That is most likely what happened in this situation.

As for those who mentioned gun control. I agree that there should be longer wait times for those background checks. It is most likely a better idea to make the Psych evals. more in depth, so that the doctors and the people issuing the licences have a better idea of the person. Yes, banning guns is not the best option. Then there will be the people who get the weapons through the black market.

One of the first things police want to know in the US if you are pulled over is whether you want to have a weapon in the car. If a cop sees you make an attempt that perceives you as having a weapon, they will believe that they are in danger for their lives. There are good cops, and many have families that they want to go home at night and see, and if they believe that they are in danger, they will act accordingly.

"The video from a police car dashboard camera shows Bridgeton officers Braheme Days and Roger Worley in a Dec. 30 traffic stop that escalates quickly after Days warns his partner about seeing a gun and then saying that the vehicle's passenger was reaching for something in the car. It ends with passenger Jerame Reid disregarding Days' order to not move, getting out of the car and being shot to death." (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-man-shot-dead-by-new-jersey-police-had-hands-raised/)
    Here are a few examples:
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-shoots-kills-unarmed-man-video-traffic-stop-ruled-justified/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-man-shot-dead-by-new-jersey-police-had-hands-raised/

10. The psychological industry in the US is as corrupt as any other corporate industry in the United States. I think relying on them to "regulate" our rights in insane, irony.

There are good people, may that have families and want to go home and not be shot at a traffic stop because the people that pulled them over for commercial code infractions are cowards. It really irks me the whole, cops have dangerous jobs. That is not very true at all. When cops do get shot most of the times it is because they have incited a conflict where, had they not been there, there would be none at all. We all want to go home to our families.

If you take the number of police officers shot(or killed in anyway) in the "line of duty" versus the number of people they murder on a daily basis, we are in much more danger than any police officer when interacting with them. 2014 police killed 2-3 people a day depending on what source you want to site. That's ridiculous and more than enough reason to disarm them completely, imho.
  11. Some people have a bias against wikipedia. My 11th grade civics teacher says that it's not something you cite, but it's something which you can get your sources from, as they accurately cite every piece of information displayed. Meanwhile my 8th grade teachers all said Wikipedia is some hellpool for misconstrued information. Doesn't really matter who said what, really.

Every statistic shown on that webpage was provided from GunPolicy.org, a website hosted by the University of Sidney Public Health. Every statistic was fairly recent, from the past five years, and I'd say that's pretty reliable.

I do agree that police officers should have weapons, though. Sidearms, if anything. having a firearm isn't always such a bad thing, especially when you know there are people who are pondering if you could be easily overtaken or not.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  12. So... what's the punishment for the guys killing the cop?
  13. Maybe, as long as the judge is the one doing the killing and they are allowed to get killed later on because they have also murdered someone :)

What constitutes as murder? If I kill someone in self-defense, is that murder? What if I'm mentally ill and don't know what I'm doing and kill a person - is that also murder? What if I'm sleepwalking and murder a person?

It's not a just punishment? Murderers are driven insane in prison. If they outlast their sentence, they're usually mentally insane and have liven their life in fear of getting killed by the people meant to protect them in prison (happens sometimes over here, since the UK doesn't have the death penalty and a lot of people don't like that). Prisons are also really bad places to be - the US's especially, since they fall below basic human rights standards. I quite like Norway's model - the prisoners are given more than the basic human rights standards and are rehabilitated, and usually never commit a crime again. They sometimes even take prisoners off the US because they find their prisons so bad.