Did witch huts break in 1.13 or any time since then?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by We3_MPO, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Building a witch farm and a theater are two things that I meant to do before I left and still intend to now that I’ve returned. However, they’d rely on there still being at least two functional witch huts at the MPO, the terrain at which was generated almost entirely from 1.8 to 1.12.

Thanks for any info!
    TheFryedmans likes this.
  2. For sure. Structures have had a horrible time with world upgrades. They have broken multiple times over.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  3. Thanks! How would I know whether a particular structure has broken? Once I know, should I report the issue for it to be fixed (and if so, to senior staff or to developers?) or move on?
  4. We do not have any mechanisms to fix broken structures. They are just the way they are. Reporting them will result in nothing.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  5. Thanks for letting me know! I'll move on if it's broken. Still, how would I know whether one works or not, so that I could eliminate candidates for farms?
  6. I don't know. :)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  7. This is one of the reasons I stopped playing. So much effort in digging, building, etc. all for nothing. Couldn't care less about the drops to be honest, wasn't really about that. Funny thing is I had just finished the digging on my previous one and like 2 days later EMC updated and broke. I think I've built a new one almost each update and some had no issues but more often than not they broke. This is also not exclusive to witch huts though.

Anyhoo... you'll know it's broken if the spawns seem very slow. For an example, my last completed farm, fully dug out, dropped maybe 1-5 witch's a minute. Before it broke it was 1 or more every 5 seconds give or take. In vanilla it would be raining lol

I should log on and see if my current one is now broken since updating to 1.19. Got about half dug out 😋
    We3_MPO likes this.
  8. I mean. As far as I know... "Recent" updates shouldn't have broken them. But I would quickly assume all structures from 1.12 or before are broken.

One of the major issues is that our frontier worlds are as old as 1.2. And other parts are newer than that at various intervals. Witch Huts weren't even added until 1.4.2.
    There is no way to tell what version a given section of the world is from. Neither manually nor programmatically.

An important note... We have not made any intentional changes to world conversion which would prevent those structures from converting... It just has been a bug that we inherited from upstream which did not present a solution. And once the data is lost - there really isn't a feasible way to recover it.

Conceivably, we could implement a way for people to make their own witch huts - in the same way we did for nether fortresses. But that has the potential to cause a greater impact to mechanics when you compare the amount of vanilla fortress spawning blocks and the amount of spawning blocks in a witches huts. Very different in scale.
    Tuqueque and We3_MPO like this.
  9. Scale-wise does this equate to spawning witches only near 1 flower potted red mushroom?

(Mild sarcasm intended, real fix suggestion otherwise escapes me)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  10. I think my witch farm still works built in 1.12?
    We3_MPO likes this.
  11. Thanks for the advice! I could try building it in a certain place, then try again elsewhere if it doesn't work as well as it should. What the MPO lacks in new terrain, it more than makes up for in the extreme diversity and sheer size of older landscapes.
  12. smp8’s Fort Wart was loaded in either 1.9 or 1.8 world generation, and they still work

you can always make a mini setup to see if the witch huts are still spawning witches, and test results after a few hours- I say a few hours since Witch spawns are usually on the low end and you probably haven’t and will not spawn proof everything nearby just for a test.
    We3_MPO and KatydidBuild like this.
  13. A valid point has been brought forward. What has changed in recent updates is an expanded y height. Which is going to contribute to it being more difficult to have just the hut spawn blocks.

As mentioned, we haven't done anything to break structures. But it has been noted in the past that some structures are no longer where they are supposed to be at random non predictable rates. If they all had broken, that would have been easier to investigate
    We3_MPO and Tuqueque like this.