[DEBATE/INFORMATION] Why is North America's climate harsher than other temperate continents?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by We3_MPO, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Let's see what you think...

From what I've researched:
    • The most popular theory is that the gulf stream keeps Europe much warmer in Winter than North America. While this is partly true, that's mostly for western Europe, and not nearly the only thing to consider. Even some parts of Iceland and Sweden have a surprisingly mild (though not truly mild) oceanic climate.
    • In the Mediterranean region, there are mountains running east-west like the Alps protecting it from Arctic fronts. Meanwhile, the nearby Mediterranean Sea is a hotbed thanks to the Sahara Desert it borders, so in addition to the moderating effects a body of water can have, it also does raise the temperature further during Winter and make for extremely hot (often humid but with droughts) Summers.
      • On the other hand, North America does not have this protection in most places, as the Gulf of Mexico does not border a tropical/subtropical desert, and the Rockies and Appalachians are North-South mountain ranges, which allows Arctic air from Siberia to run straight across the North Pole and whip across the plains into the deep South, on some occasions even into places like Houston, Texas and Orlando, Florida. Additionally, climate change weakening the jet stream has allowed the Polar Vortex to send Arctic air masses southward in the 20th and 21st centuries.
        • The main exception to this is in places like Washington state, Vancouver in Southwestern Canada, lowland California, and the vast majority of Arizona, which have nice mild Winters as western extensions of the Rockies do block that Arctic air. This is also true of Southwestern Mexico.
        • This is also not the case in the Caribbean and most of Eastern Mexico, as a body of water will have most likely had the time and energy to moderate any Arctic air fronts on their way to their tropical destinations.
    • The Alps also protect central and Northern Europe from extreme heat from the Sahara, and while this does get moderated a bit by the Mediterranean, see the above in red for how that impacts the climate on and close to the Southern coast of Europe.
      • Again, North America has no east-west mountain ranges protecting it from heat waves, so things can get pretty hot pretty easily during summertime, even well into Canada. Also, because the source of this heat is bodies of water (mostly the Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and the Sargasso Sea around Bermuda), the heat often tends to be very humid too, and the further south you go, the worse and more humid this heat gets. However, even North Dakota has seen temperatures as high as 121F (almost 50C!), and Canada has also seen temperatures in the 110s degrees Fahrenheit, although going further South results in longer and harsher Summers (they typically last for about 1/2 of the year with maximums near 100F in places like Nashville, Atlanta, and Washington D.C., and about 3/4 of the year in places like Dallas (with a maximum near 110F, sometimes more), Orlando (which isn't quite as hot but is always insanely muggy), and Austin).
    • Why is the temperate Southern Hemisphere milder?
      • The most likely answer is the circumpolar current.
        • This is also why Antarctica stays absolutely frigid year round.
        • However, in Africa, Australia, South America, and even New Zealand, the extreme polar air from Antarctica except over a body of water, which will moderate it, and the circumpolar current actually traps the extreme cold way better than the jet stream in the Northern Hemisphere does.
          • Although this defense can also backfire by fire for some Southern Hemisphere continents in the warmer parts of the year; hence why Africa is the hottest continent in the most places (Death Valley in California is hotter, but not by much, that is only one fairly small place), and why Australia can see temperatures well into the 40s Celsius thanks to the deserts in the Australian Outback. Overall, however, most of these areas do have milder climates than most areas in Canada and the Eastern and central U.S., and the Southwestern U.S. also gets extremely hot (but is often very dry).
    So, what do you think?
  2. Jesus christ, man. Use a normal font color. It doesn't make you cool to use rainbows. I was actually interested in what you had to say but it hurts to read.
  3. it's large
    We3_MPO likes this.
  4. True, but all of places I mentioned do (if you also count subtropical climates as temperate climates, as otherwise Australia isn't temperate). There are two types of temperate/subtropical climates (excluding arid/semiarid climates) according to the Koppen climate classification system: "mild" and "continental".

I did it to mark whether it's warming up in a good way, cooling off in a good way, warming up in a bad way, or cooling off in a bad way.

True, but so are Africa and Asia (Asia does have harsh climates too, but that's mainly North Asia such as Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and Russia).
  5. I'm sorry, but I'll have to go with Chocolate on this one. It's hard to read it and I just answered the question in the title because I couldn't read what you posted.