[Closed] Help with some desktop choosing :/

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShyguytheGamer1, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do you have an example of your local US Postal Office doing something like that then?
    It's been that cheap since the industry recovered from that SK Hynix factory explosion. Prices were only as high as they were a while ago because of that factory explosion. As for other countries, well, VAT and import fees basically balance :p
  2. Im going to post a list of pc parts you can get at your local microcenter right now in a few minutes. Ill have to post it on my phone because my family is going out to dinner right now..
  3. It usually says the carrier that it will be shipping through on the page. FedEx isn't that bad anyways, they've always gotten me what I ordered in very good time. And, even if they do damage your stuff in shipping or have it lost, then they have to pay for it. The only way it's not their fault is if the retailer gives them something damaged, but in that case they'd just mark it damaged before shipping and it'd be on the retailer to have to give you a refund or replacement.

Shopping online is something that has been refined over the last decade or so to the point where it's now something that nearly everybody does. If it were as bad as that video shows it all the time, nobody would shop online and Amazon would be out of business. The reason Amazon has hundreds of billions of dollars and people are shopping online is because it's often cheaper, convenient, and shipping has gotten much more reliable than it once was. Not to mention many retailers getting you products within the week for free nowadays, where it used to take weeks.

The behavior posted all over media of shipping companies is something that you can find just about nearly every company there is. There's always going to be employees that are irresponsible, but those people were fired in due time. I wouldn't take it to heart the things that you find on media. It's like believing that a pill alone can make you lose fifty pounds in a week just because the ad on TV says it will ;)
  4. Updated OP with some excellent news ^.^

Quick breeze of the list my brother spoke to me out about:

I7 Core 3.5 Gigahertz or higher ~150

Solid State hard drive 500 Gig or better

Spindle hard drive 7500 RPM or higher

Case (Who cares what it is, make it big as hell)

Motherboard, Sabretooth

16 GB of RAM or better

GTX 980 TI or better (NOT ATI)

Heat Sink (BOSS)

Monitor (G Sync monitor, need moar than 600 dollars) ~300 or more

Total: ~1800

~ means around
  5. I'm not seeing your edit.
  6. F5
  7. I'm on it
  8. Does your brother have any idea what he's talking about? lol

That list looks as vague as possible.
  9. Will brush up this thread a bit tomorrow as it is (from what just happened 10 minutes ago) a bit out of date for me right about now, sorry guys, still search on Best Buy and Micro center please :)

Also about the monitor, my bro did recommend a G Sync monitor, but those things are through the roof in prices, so just a Sony or ASUS monitor/TV type thing, about 20-27 inches, somewhat. NO CURVES PLEASE ;-;
  10. I typed it up, you can improve on it by just brushing me the links and prices and the full names of the stuff long or small :p
  11. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($649.99 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: Acer XB270H Abprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($499.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2292.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-29 18:19 EST-0500

I didn't include the monitor in the price..
  12. "I7 Core 3.5 Gigahertz or higher ~150"
    An Intel Core i7-4790k or i7-6700k (which you shouldn't buy since it's a mere 3% better than a 4790k and costs $100 more) costs $259 for one, and measuring processor performance by the GHz is something that only marketing companies do.

"Solid State hard drive 500 Gig or better"
    Bigger does not mean better. For example, a Kingston V12 1TB SSD is better by that statement, but is actually so bad that it's comparable to a regular hard drive.

"Spindle hard drive 7500 RPM or higher"
    No **** it's a spindle. That's what a hard drive is. Besides the point, almost all consumer desktop hard drives are 7200rpm and that's basically the industry standard.

"Case (Who cares what it is, make it big as hell)"
    You should probably give a crap about cable management, motherboard support, drive support, and plenty of other options. Going with a reputable brand is not a bad idea either. Any old case only cuts it for very budget builds and it matters more than you would think.

"Motherboard, Sabertooth"
    I assume that he's talking about an ASUS Sabertooth motherboard, which is one of their higher end ones with thermal armor and stuff. It's largely unnecessary to go with anything higher than even a Z97-Pro, it's just a waste of money unless you actually need the mostly unnecessary features that it provides.

"16 GB of RAM or better"
    Sure I guess. lol

"GTX 980 TI or better (NOT ATI)"
    This is the main reason why I'm questioning the expertise of your brother. A GTX 980 Ti is obviously not an ATI card, which by the way ATI was bought by AMD in 2006. Any card made after 2006 by 'ATI' should be called an 'AMD' card since that's what it is. Specifying that the GTX 980 Ti should not be an ATI card is utter common sense.

"Head Sink (Boss)"
    I think you'd rather prefer a heat sink that does its job well over a heat sink that looks cool and sucks in performance.

"Monitor (G Sync monitor, need more than 600 dollars)"
    G Sync monitors are not $600.
  13. To be honest, a G-Sync monitor isn't really necessary unless you want to play games at 4K IMO. But I don't know much about monitors

EDIT: Now that I know what g-sync is, I don't think you will really need it because you really just need to get a monitor that suits your use.. Maybe a 1080p or 1440p monitor because Screen tearing most likely won't be a problem.
  14. G-Sync and 4K have nothing at all to do with each other.

4K is a resolution, 4 times as sharp as 1080p.

G-Sync is V-Sync but proprietary to Nvidia and it automatically changes the refresh rate of the monitor to match the framerate of the game in order to eliminate screen tearing.
  15. I feel like I should just stick to what I know.. Monitors aren't my thing and my setup consists of 3 goodwill monitors..
  16. Well, any links to any of these? And for a case I need it to be big, the better the airspace, the better, also twist ties will come in handy to keep the wires organized. Also my brother said NOT to get the ATI, that is why I put it there so I don't get confused. That is the motherboard my brother has, an Asus sabretooth, he did used to have an Asrock in it, but he changed it.
  17. Try again, instead of Newegg do Best buy or micro center, please -.-

And cheaper, I am aiming to around 600-1000+ by the end of christmas in 2016. So try 1600 in total price, also maybe a larger TV (Yes TV, not monitor) like sony or insignia 55" or less. Around that.
  18. Just goto the website.. It chooses the cheapest price out of all the stores is looks at and puts that in the list
  19. I just remembered, Micro Center can price match, so even if I don't want to do Newegg I can still go to micro center and price match these items.
  20. There you go :3
    Shyguy_1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.