Chat updates - channels & ignoring

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by JustinGuy, Sep 15, 2011.

?

Do you like this new update?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2011.
Yes 9 vote(s) 100.0%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Yeah, can't do this :(
    If the client side was that flexible we would already have tabs for rooms ;)
  2. Hmm, I was going off of the prefix that was already in chat, I don't know much about the way minecraft is coded to work, nor do I care to learn. but kay kay.

but then again. I have no idea why this would be client side. but my first part of this answers why I don't.
  3. Thinking more about the question of only being able to be in one chat channel at a time or not, I think it would be best to leave it so we can be 'hearing' multiple channels.

That way we can monitor the global channel while still having a local or private conversation if we want to.

That doesn't solve the problem of people using the wrong channel to reply, but that's an issue of lack of education in most cases. And I don't personally see it as a big problem really.

The chat commands are fairly advanced, and there are lots of very young people on the server, so this kind of thing is inevitable. I think a good semi-solution to this might be to give people a tip on how to use the chat commands here and there (possiply also referring them to the guide).
    ZerreissenDirge likes this.
  4. I may have mentioned this before, but what about putting a cool down timer on the Global channel. Like you can only send one message every 10 seconds. It would encourage people to only use to coordinate a meeting spot, and use local / tell / or private channels (when i get them added).
  5. That might be a good idea.

I think it's something we'd have to try out to get a feel for. And it could be reversed if it feels wrong (assuming it's not too hard to implement).

Even a shorter timer, like three or five seconds might be good as it would discourage those strings of quick messages that together make up a coherent sentence.

At the same time, the character limit in the chat makes it hard to type longer sentences. A timer would make getting a more complex message across kind of choppy. I guess we would use the other channels in that case... but what if we want to send that message to everyone? (just sort of thinking out loud here)
  6. i l
    I like the ideal liz make a timer in global timed its like a /Yell in WoW this way we us the local channels more often also make the timer not as long for subscribers
  7. Make the timer less long for subscribers?? :confused: lol

Don't you get enough perks already Starcraft?

It was Justin's idea by the way... and I'm actually not yet certain it would work out well. I don't know, I think we'd have to try it out for a bit to see.
  8. Its another way to add perks, just an ideal. Yes, grammar last night was horrible.
  9. I don't see why supporters would need even more perks. Don't you get enough already?

And as for the timer, the more I think about it the more it seems like it would just be a pain.
  10. Personally I don't have a problem with how often someone can send messages. The only concern is exploiting it for spam. If anything, we should just put a counter that blocks the person if they send more than say five messages per second. I wouldn't want the limit too low, because a lot of us use Spoutcraft which splits long sentences into two simultaneous messages.

The chat is becoming a might hairy at times now, but I think once there are channels for each world that the player joins automatically, things will calm down a bit.
    GameKribJEREMY likes this.
  11. Would like to just touch on two parts here:

1. I don't really think we'll put a limit on how many perks supporters can get or not get. They're a big backbone of keeping the server alive and lag free. But, as said in the past, we would never do a perk that would "take away" something that's by default, free in the game to those that choose not to/can't be a supporter.
    2. IF this were an idea that would pass, I don't think we would add a shorter timer for supporters as that IS something that would affect non-payers directly.
  12. The thing I care about more is this:

JustinGuy: Hey
    JustinGuy: jeremy
    JustinGuy: are you around
    JustinGuy: i wanted to give you
    JustinGuy: something

I see this a lot and during busy times it kind of irritates me... I know it is hard for people to change habbits and that is the only reason I had though of a "timer" :)