Can Someone Explain Nether Port Travel?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Leafjosiah9, Aug 24, 2015.

1. So I'm looking to build a base in the frontier with a friend of mine around Christmas. I want to travel far out into the frontier to reduce the chances of it getting griefed, but it will take a long time to get back to our res and we don't want to make it on a separate server. We've seen Nether Portal travel used efficiently but we don't know how to use it ourselves. Some questions I'd like answered:

-How does it work?
    -Can it be done from your res?
    -Any cons / dangers?

Thanks! :)

-InfectedMiner007
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. Portals aren't used as a direct form of transportation; rather they will teleport you to a corresponding coordinate in the opposite world (Overworld --> Nether or Nether --> Overworld). It's better to travel in the Nether because it's much quicker - eight times quicker, exactly. Walking one block in the Nether is the equivalent of walking eight in the Overworld; walking eight blocks in the Overworld is the equivalent of walking one in the Nether. This makes the Nether convenient for long trips as it will shorten travel time considerably.

People normally set up Nether rails, which are basically long, narrow tunnels either at the top or the bottom of the nether that make for convenient minecart tracks.
  3. How does it work?
    1 block in the Nether equals 8 blocks in the Overworld. So going 100 blocks in the Nether and creating a portal will put you at around 800 blocks in the Overworld. So if you built a Nether portal 5,000 blocks out in the Nether it will generate a portal around at around 40,000 blocks out in the Overworld.

Can it be done from your res?
    No, it must be done from the Frontier Nether.

Any cons / dangers?
    Digging into lava while digging the tunnel.
    Takes a lot of picaxes to dig the tunnel.
    Nether portal spawning under an ocean/cave (not to big of an issue)
    Takes a little bit of time to go through the tunnel. (better than going through the Overworld though).
  4. There are 2 major worlds in Minecraft: the Overworld and the Underworld, also called the Nether. Traveling 1 block in the Nether will actually move you 8 blocks within the Overworld. So that is how this works: if you travel 100 blocks in the Nether you've traveled 800 in the Overworld.

Now, on EMC both the Frontier as well as the Wastelands have their own Nether. So the idea is simple: go out into the Frontier (or travel directly to the Frontier Nether using /nether), put a distance between outpost, make a nether portal to go back up to the Overworld and you should be well on your way.

No, you can only build a nether portal in either the Waste or Frontier world, not the town world.

Some players have made cool pathways (railways even) to travel between their outpost and the frontier outpost. Obviously you want to keep such traveling methods well hidden because if someone finds it and uses it you'd still risk running into problems.

So, cons: you need to hide your pathway, provided that you're going to continue using it to travel back and forth from your outpost / building area.

Also: be sure to use some locked chests. (place a chest, add a sign above it which says "locked"; this will lock the chest. You can also add more names so that those players can also access the chest).

Hope this can give you some ideas.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  5. I always travel in the over world to get to my location first, and then I dig back towards spawn in the nether. Sure, it takes (A LOT) longer, but this minimizes chances of the spawn location being compromised in some way. This way you can make it safe to get to and from, and place the portal in a convenient location.
  6. Thanks so much! Explained everything.
    ShelLuser likes this.