[Building Talk] - Physics

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ForeverMaster, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Hello again EMC; this is Byeforever.
    This time, I'm offering this thread as an extended conversation over a fundamental science for building, physics.
    I originally wanted to make this topic as part of my building guides, but I have realized how difficult it is for me to express after spending 2 hours on the original post. Ever since my older brother was able to take it in school earlier than usual, I have wanted to take it badly, but I have to wait another 2.5 years.:oops:

Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion is just the beginning; there's much more to this highly math-based science.
  2. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "building", but I am a physics major :) I'm by no means an expert, but I have taken some upper-level courses including quantum mechanics and relativity. What I'd really like to do is work towards a unified theory of everything that has just a few basic equations from which everything else can be derived. Let's get the discussions going!
  3. I'm trying to say that building a standing structure requires knowledge about physics. What I'm not sure about on is why exactly denser material is used along the foundation than most of a build and why buildings are terraced besides for aesthetics.
  4. For a second, I was excited by the word "Physics" in the title, then I realized this was probably mostly engineering based, not quantum based.
    I do have a book documenting 18th century architecture styles, published in 1700s Philadelphia, so that might be relevant.
    gabeli likes this.
  5. Welp i know a lot about walls,"blueprints",after a year of studying its the least a bricklayer should know :/
  6. Like nether said, a civil engineer or architect can probably help you better than a physicist.
    For building science, you'll want to study statics and also materials science/engineering. You'll also want to learn calculus so you can derive and understand what's going on. I'd definitely recommend going to Goodwill and looking for textbooks on these subjects; it's way cheaper than buying them from normal sources.
    If you want to go ahead and get a jump start on physics, this might help: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-1/ It may not be the best one available, but it's a completely free set of lectures from MIT's physics 1 course. I checked for a materials science course, but couldn't find video lectures.
    Good luck!
  7. *Ahem* (static and dynamic loads) - Structural engineering...

denser material is less prone to cracking and wearing away... also helps keep water out...
    Why not? Once architects get involved, everything has to be pretty.
    Byeforeverthe2nd likes this.
  8. Well inventing is one of my hobbies since most things mechanical and scientific just make complete sense.

:( Why couldn't this be about quantum physics?!?!?!?
  9. Yeah he's talking about Newtonian physics, which is pretty much all engineers care about. I'm a mech E major and I say "pretty much" because quantum and relativistic physics do have a few applications in isolated areas of engineering but for the most part, we only bother with Classical Mechanics.
    Byeforeverthe2nd likes this.
  10. depends on the building really and where its being laid. denser material is used at the base in order to prevent movement for the most part also because of the intense strain on the foundation as you add mass to keep from shattering/splintering under the gravitational pressure. terraces serve a variety of purposes mostly spatially based but are mainly for aesthetics