[Blog] Legit Animalia

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by Slvr, Oct 2, 2018.

?

What's your favorite kind of animal?

Dog 4 vote(s) 40.0%
Cat 2 vote(s) 20.0%
Equine (Horse, Donkey, etc) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Reptile 1 vote(s) 10.0%
Fish 1 vote(s) 10.0%
Amphibian 1 vote(s) 10.0%
Invertebrate 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Bird 1 vote(s) 10.0%
Other (...Have I missed any?!) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. I can't sleep, I am very bored, and I need more stress in my life like I need a hole in the head. What better way to knock those three birds with one stone by starting a blog?

My goal here is simple. At least once a week (potentially more if I am incredibly inspired) I will write a segment in a "newspaper-esque" article about one type of....
    • canine
    • feline
    • equine
    • reptile
    • fish
    • invertebrate
    • amphibian
    • bird
    • wildcard (can be any of the above or something else... like a plant, fungus, etc. It can also be a general wellness article, or anything related to nature, really.)
    So, let's get started, shall we?
    ----------------------
    Week #1
    Canine
    Czechoslovakian vlcak
    The Czechoslovakian vlcak, more commonly known as the Czechoslovakian wolfdog, is a breed of dog that has been in development since roughly the 1950s. The breed was designed to be a working dog that combined the desirable, attentive nature of the German shepherd dog with the working class of the Carpathian wolf (a form of Canis lupus lupus, or the Eurasian wolf).

Image Source
    The Czechoslovakian vlcak is recognized in the American Kennel Club and United Kennel Club. Unlike the Saarloos wolfdog, shyness is considered a disqualifying trait in the breed - these versatile dogs are made to work, whereas the Saarloos wolfdog was designed to be more of a companion with the novelty of appearing similar to a wolf.

Image Source
    Czechoslovakian vlcaks are available from three recognized AKC breeders. These dogs are recommended for someone that has an active lifestyle that will heavily involve the animal, as a bored vlcak is a destructive and potentially even dangerous vlcak. As always, make sure to read up far more than what this short overview offers if this piques your interest. All dogs can be dangerous when not trained or cared for properly, much less so a dog that is so closely related to wolves!

That said, some things to keep in mind in regards to a Czechoslovakian vlcak is that they tend to be quite aloof, confident, and don't often get along with other dogs of the same sex. Socialization from a young age is a must and they require a thoughtful, involved owner that is willing to spend a significant amount of time focusing on their development. For those looking for the beauty of a wolf but the temperament of a dog, the Saarloos wolfdog may be of more interest to you!
    Feline
    Lykoi
    The Lykoi, a newer cat breed also known as the werewolf cat, is the result of breeding for a specific gene that produces a mix of white and black hairs on the coat of a domestic cat as well as partial hairlessness around the legs and face (sometimes complete hairlnessness). This produces the rhythmic patterns that give the cat such an eerie appearance! This trait was not designed by humans, either. It is a naturally-occurring trait that was found in feral cat (Felis silvestris catus) populations that has been occurring for two decades at this point. The name lykoi actually derives from the Greek lycos, meaning wolf.

Did you know that I am from Virginia, USA?
    Source

However, these new cats are pretty popular and will cost you a pretty penny, too, if you're determined to have one - $1800 USD or more.
    Equine
    Friesian horse

Image Source
    This beautiful breed of horse (Equus ferus caballus) has nearly gone extinct on more than one occasion, but has persevered. Interestingly enough, the name 'Friesian' was an attempt at creating a unique name for the animal - Frisian would technically be the correct term, and is usually ascribed to any random horse produced from Friesland, the Netherlands. Only specific horses of this breed are noted as Friesians.

Anyway, these horses have a baroque or well-defined body type, as well as a long, arched neck. Although they are most well-known for their black coloration, not all purebred Friesian horses are black - some carry a red or dark chestnut color.

Image Source
    Friesians, like many other horses, are not needed purely for grueling, manual labor anymore. Most horses now are kept for enjoyment and for showing. The Friesian has become quite popular in recreational events, such as driving, recreational or competitive riding, and dressage.
    Reptile
    Green tree monitor
    The green tree monitor, also known as the emerald tree monitor (Varanus prasinus) is a fairly rare reptile hailing from New Guinea, a few nearby islands, and the northern Torres Strait Islands. These lizards are arboreal and unlike most other reptiles, communal. In fact, it is believed that male green tree monitors will refuse to breed with a different female if their initial partner dies or they are separated. Unfortunately, these beautiful reptiles are also poorly understood and most in the pet trade and in zoos are not captive bred but taken from the wild. They don't adapt well to captivity and even when they are successfully bred, it is not uncommon for the embryos to die in late stages of development.

Yet, it is not impossible! Some keepers have managed to successfully keep green tree monitors for close to 12 years and produce viable offspring. But a captive bred, healthy green tree monitor will cost $600 USD or more, and they are not for the faint of heart. These animals require a very humid but also very open enclosure, with a water source large enough to bathe in, as well as plenty of plant matter to climb. Basking spots must also be provided and a diet of mixed insects and rodents is required - and that is just putting it lightly. I imagine it is easy to spend close to $3000 USD or more setting up an appropriate enclosure for just one of these lizards. Failing to meet even one requirement could spell disaster for your scaly friend, as green tree monitors are notoriously unforgiving of mistakes.

Hopefully, however, with more crazy reptilian keepers, the green tree monitor will be better understood and can become more available to the public along with accurate information.
    Fish
    Red-bellied piranha

Image Source
    This infamous fish is native to South American rivers, but despite what big-name Hollywood films would have you believe, the red-bellied piranha (Pygocentrus nattereri) is actually an opportunistic forager more than a voracious predator. They travel in shoals as a defensive measure and are actually quite popular in the aquarium scene!

The typical diet of a red-bellied piranha consists of insects, worms, crustaceans, and fish. Most captive piranhas are fed pre-killed, frozen varieties of their favorite foods to keep the risk of introduced bacterium and viruses low, as well as prevent injury to the pets. Although they can eat one another, it is unlikely if the animals are fed appropriately and aquarists have successfully kept multiple of the fish in the same aquarium. But these fish are extremely messy eaters, and do not need a large shoal of brethren as long as adequate substrate and plants are added. It is probably easier for many to keep a large tank with a single red-bellied piranha with a lot of foliage as opposed to a fairly bare tank of the same size with many piranhas.

[FEEDING WARNING]
    [The pinky mouse is pre-killed in the video and is unlikely to have endured any suffering. Most feeder mice are killed in humane, quick methods. Please always try many, many methods of feeding pre-killed as opposed to live to any carnivorous pet. The only exception are insectivores, as most will not eat pre-killed insects and pre-killed insects have very little nutritional value.]

Notice how although this tank is rather bare and has a lot of smaller fish in it (most likely "cleaning crew" fish, or fish that help clean up the mess piranhas make), there is only one piranha and that it doesn't lunge after the man's hand, even when he has it in the water right next to it. Piranhas are not vicious killing machines and although it could make a snack out of those smaller fish if it so chose, when kept well-fed, a piranha will typically choose its easy, pre-killed meals as opposed to messy, live ones. These fish are extremely opportunistic and tend to choose weak, dying, or dead animals as their prey.
    Invertebrate
    Cobalt blue tarantula
    Despite their fairly potent venom, defensive nature, and how they spend most of their time hiding, the cobalt blue tarantula (Cyriopagopus lividus) is a mainstay in the pet trade. One glance at it, and it isn't difficult to see why. However, one should be sure to keep the aforementioned flaws in mind when considering one of these living art pieces as a pet. Although their venom is unlikely to kill you unless you are allergic, it can cause severe muscle cramping and can certainly send you to the hospital.

Furthermore, because they hide so much, it is unlikely you will see the animal much - and since you can't handle it for fear of bites, it is always good to really weigh your reasons for getting a certain animal.

But if you are an insane collector (like me), the cobalt blue can be a fantastic addition. These tarantulas require an under-the-tank heater (UTH) connected to a thermostat and set for 77* F (or 25* C), a minimum of a 10-gal long enclosure, deep substrate (5-10 inches), and should be fed 2-3 times a week with live, "gut-loaded" insects (insects that have been fed in the last 24 hours prior to feeding to your pet). Source 1, Source 2

As always, please do extended research before buying any animal I mention here. My recollection of care requirements is likely to be barebones at best.

2. Amphibian
    Axolotl

Image Source
    It's no surprise that the infamous axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) would get the first slot for amphibians here. Axolotls are notorious for being an amphibian that never metamorphoses to leave the water (well... in most cases). Outward-projected gills, a disillusioned expression, and active swimming habits make these animals incredibly entertaining pets.

Unfortunately, axolotls do have quite rigorous care requirements and are close to extinction in the wild (if they aren't already there - we aren't even sure). Axolotls prefer cooler waters and are actually illegal to keep as pets in several states. All that said, the axolotl isn't impossible to raise in captivity and its unique looks have gained it enough popularity to remain more than established in captivity.

Do keep in mind though that even if it is classified as an amphibian, since it spends all of its time in water, careful maintenance of that water is necessary to keep a pet axolotl happy. Water testing kits - the good kind, not those strips - are a necessity. In general, it is better to choose an aquatic pet based off what your water is like from the tap as opposed to trying to make it match what you want. It isn't impossible to do it the hard way, but it will cut down on required maintenance and make your life so much easier.

Image Source
    Axolotls come in a few different patterns, but the most common are albino, leucistic, and wildtype. Albinos are pinkish-white in color with red eyes, leucistic are pinkish-white with black eyes, and wildtypes are a marbled gray/black/green, and tend to have shorter, smaller gills as opposed to their lighter variants.
    Bird
    Quaker parrot / monk parakeet
    This hardy, smaller parrot (Myiopsitta monachus) is also quite famous with respective bird keepers. Known for its odd "quaker" behavior (potentially where it got its name, although that has also been ascribed to its pattern of green which is reminiscent of that of Quaker robes), these birds are common pets due to their quirky, powerful personalities and the ideal of having a bird with a lot of personality in a smaller package.

A quaker parrot "quaking."

Quaker parrots are illegal in several states, however, due to their invasive nature. Flocks of these mocking birds are common sights in Texas, USA. Many states in which the birds are legal require them to be close-banded (have a band slipped over their feet soon after hatching, rendering it unable to be removed without force).

Birds require owners that are willing to give up to four hours a day of attention (outside of the cage), and are very attentive to food in the animal's cage. These animals are also very intelligent and quickly bore of the same food and toys, and can resort to self-mutilation (most commonly, plucking of feathers). This applies to almost all birds, and they are not for the faint of heart, as birds are easily stressed and very fragile.

In fact, did you know that non-stick cookware cannot be used around birds? The fumes from the chemical most commonly used in non-stick cookware is fatal to birds, as they replace almost all of the air in their lungs with every breath. Shocking, seeing as they seem more than content to scream all of that air right back out...

Wildcard!
    Where Should I Get A Pet?

Image Source
    Many first-time pet owners make the mistake of buying their new friends from shady sites such as Craigslist, or from chain pet stores such as PetSmart, PetCo, or Pet World. Why is that a mistake? First thing's first - don't take offense. My leopard gecko came from PetCo, I'm not going to lie. When I bought him, I thought whether you bought your pets from a pet store or not was more of a matter of preference than anything else. I quickly learned otherwise.

Especially in the case of exotic animals such as birds and reptiles, animals are mass-produced in mills. In fact, a LOT of breeders, not just the suppliers of these stores, of these animals keep these creatures in bare, unsavory conditions. Breeding reptiles are often kept in sterile, cheap rack/tub systems that are heated poorly by a heating tape, fed the bare minimum, and given little enrichment for their lives (nowhere to hide, nothing to dig in... nothing to do). But in the case of pet store suppliers, they are upheld to a strict standard of number of animals required to be produced, and this tends to result in animals that are not observed before being shipped and may be sick. Pet store employees are also not required to have the knowledge of the animals they sell when hired and sadly, some may just not care.

This leopard gecko is suffering severe stuck shed - meaning that its old skin is unable to be pulled off by the gecko due to the lack of a humid hide or raising the tank's humidity.
    Image Source

This means you may be paying a slightly cheaper price than you would at a breeder ($30 compared to $50), but are likely to be getting a sick or neglected animal. In the case of the leopard gecko pictured above, that is severe stuck shed that can take weeks to work off, and during that time, most employees wouldn't be able to tell you how old the gecko was or even when it last ate. With stuck shed that bad, the gecko is certainly unable to open its mouth, and could very well die before you can even begin to help it properly. More serious issues such as contagious diseases and parasites can also affect these animals, meaning if you already have some and bring a sick animal home, it could spread that sickness and then hurt your existing animals as well as your new pet.

When getting ANY animal, not just an exotic such as a reptile, you should always thoroughly research who you are getting it from. Ask the breeder about their facilities and make sure you're knowledgeable about the animal beforehand, as well. Join a forum, do some deep Googling, hit the books at the library - know your stuff so you know what questions to ask. A breeder should be more than willing to share what they know and their animals' environments. Although a topic for another day, animals in general are not cheap, and by buying from bad breeders and chain pet stores you are supporting the ugly, corporate side of the pet trade. You are supporting the maltreatment of animals when there are much more humane ways of making pets available to the public. And please, although the video I linked above in regards to the leopard gecko with stuck shed features a girl "rescuing" the gecko by buying it, do not buy even a sick or injured animal from these stores. Doing so just encourages them to buy more and put them in the same situations.

Instead, try to calmly talk to the manager and explain to them in a serious tone what is wrong and if the animal is in mortal danger, explain that. Some Petco and PetSmart managers may give the animal up for free rather than keep it and treat it. Getting it for free means that they don't get your money and therefore you aren't adding to the incentive to buy more animals and put them in the same situations.

However, this issue isn't just rampant in chain pet stores and their suppliers. Many larger exotic companies keep their breeding animals in subpar conditions and their juvenile, intended for sale stock in downright deplorable conditions because it is cheaper. If you notice a breeder doing this, leave them and don't give them a penny. Someone that is into raising animals for sale as pets should care for the wellbeing of the animals and should not keep them in bad conditions simply because it saves money.

So where should you get pets? Most animals have rescues and shelters that you can look into, especially when it comes to dogs, cats, and horses. But if that is out of the question, all animals can be found at respectable breeders, just remember to ask questions and LOOK at the facilities as well as the parents! For exotics, "reptile expos" or "reptile shows" can commonly be searched up for your area. Again, just remember to ask the people selling animals there about their care methods and how the animals are housed at home, and try to be prepared for your pet before you bring it home!

Image Source
    MoreMoople, Kephras, 607 and 3 others like this.
  3. Woah, I thought it would be in one of the categories, not in all! :eek:
    "All dogs can be dangerous when not trained or cared for properly, much less so a dog that is so closely related to wolves!"
    Less so? Wouldn't more so make more sense?
    There is so much information here that I'll read the rest later, or not at all. :) (I also still want to finish reading the thread about the Great War...)
    Slvr likes this.
  4. That is called another weird English phrase. I can edit for clarification later. This was mostly written pretty late and while I was pretty tired even if I couldn't sleep... Hehe. Thanks though and hopefully you learn something neat if you do decide to read :)
    MoreMoople, 607 and FadedMartian like this.
  5. Ooooo interesting! Following this thread!
    Slvr likes this.
  6. Being closely connected with Friesland (I used to say Frisia, but I learnt that that is technically the name for an area larger than current Friesland), I am always proud to see these beauties mentioned. :D
    MoreMoople and Slvr like this.
  7. This was so very interesting!! :) I'm looking forward to more!
    Slvr likes this.