Best way to kill a Momentus

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JParsonsX, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Thanks for all the amazing tactics! I also hope new players find this thread useful :p
    AWW1010 likes this.
  2. Put a thick layer of blocks between you and it, have it go cactus, iron block, cactus, obsidian, cactus, cactus, cat, and have a saddled pig and carrot on a stick in case a bacony escape is needed, and some tnt for if he is close enough to spit in your general direction. But lvl 7 may still drop the good loot i think.
    SkareCboi and JPGamerZ like this.
  3. Ride a horse, makes an easier escape.
    JPGamerZ likes this.
  4. The way I do it is: Full U3P4 diamond set + U3Loot3Smite4 diamond sword + strenght II + Speed II + Regen I + Fire Protection + Protection II (beacon).
    If too far away from my beacon I use a zombie virus (30 seconds Prot IV). One right before engaging him is enough, just to deal with the hits he lands after pushing you. After that you should hit him while running backwards (Speed II will guarantee that you can outrun him if needed).
    Biggest problem I have are the guardians he spawns. If you take too long there may be too many of them for you to deal with; if that happens just run. And for God's sake don't drag him to water or to a place where he can't hit you, that will only reduce drop chances.

With this approach I can generally kill each Momentus (difficulty 7 or 8) in less than 1 minute, saving durability on my armor and my sword.
    JPGamerZ likes this.
  5. Smite is actually worse for fighting Momentus than sharpness. If you have the choice, always use sharpness instead. As of 1.8, giants are no longer classified as undead.
    JPGamerZ likes this.
  6. Really? So i'm doing like half the damage I could be doing instead? I'm not even mad, that's impressive!
    JPGamerZ and PenguinDJ like this.
  7. 1- This way drop chances are reduced (only matter if you want the loot)
    2- He can still draw you in, which is a pain
    3- The guardians can still hit you, and they're arguably stronger than Momentus himself
    4- Staying under a tree requires you to stand still, making you an easy target to the guardians
    JPGamerZ likes this.
  8. Didn't spawn any guardians? :eek: Either the difficulty was low or you're the luckiest guy I've ever seen. I can never fight a Momentus without having to deal with 8 or 10 guardians at the same time...
  9. does anyone use a soulbound weapon on momo? which would be best? Turkey Slicer, Ham Hacker or Toothpick?
  10. Imho toothpick since knockback means it will take longer to kill him. Also it means you have to give chase and that gives the guardians more time to attack you, especially if you have to leave your "safe" water source lol.