Best way to connect my wilderness base to town?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Justiceinacan, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Hey everyone :D

I've had a private base on SMP5 and recently I've been pondering setting up some kind of rail so I can cart over supplies that I have more than plenty of (to the point where I already outgrew my storage expansion made 3 months ago) so that I don't need to go ravage the areas around my base to build big things. Real descriptive.

Anyways, I was told a while back that traveling through the nether will get you there faster than the overworld. Is this true? If it is, what's the best way to get a portal from the base to a mostly hidden portal close enough to the wilderness spawn point? Or should I just make a super long overworld rail?

Also on the topic of rails, I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on how to merge a few starting points so that I can launch many carts at the same time but then have them eventually move onto the same few tracks then spread back out at the end of the track. Basically I want a way to easily make as many carts as possible travel together so I don't lose any (I belive carts stop if you go far enough away from them) while transporting as many materials as possible.

And finally another question, I never really understood the whole outposts and establishment things so I just wanna ask ; do I need to establish one if I'm just building here solo? Anything I need to keep in mind?

2. nether rails the nether is a lot quicker 8 blocks in the over world is just a single block in the nether so use that math to plan your portals. Just remember 1/8 for every direction change :)
    Baradar67 likes this.
  3. The "do I need to establish one" is an interesting question. Do you know where you are is not already within an establishment? If you are, the owner could kick you off it. Then all you have built will be for naught. But if it is not established and if you have built a structure no one else can establish it and you are safe. But if it is not your claimed outpost someone could build a house or something next to yours and you could do nothing about it. There it would sit. So there are your options.
  4. So I got the minecart situation figured out, but when I tried to make a portal in on the town side (took coordinates first before I left of course) it spawned me into another location that looked pretty developed, and when I tried to break the portal it said it was someone else's block. Then, when I tried to go back it brought me in through a totally different portal. Is this a known thing? How can I ensure that I can enter and exit through the same points consistently?

According to the live map I'd need to travel vertically about 1,700 blocks before hitting the nearest one. Is that good enough?
  5. one way to fix it, is link the portal on the other world with the exact same cords as the one you made. (With the cords as in what the nether and over world equals If that makes sense)
  6. Whoah, be careful there!

Breaking someone elses stuff without their permission is basically griefing. Do not try to break someone elses blocks while assuming they're protected, that doesn't always have to be the case in the Frontier (think about /noprotectmode), and if it isn't you're basically destroying someone elses builds.

That's normal. When two nether portals are placed within 127 blocks distance (from the top of my head) then they'll automatically link to each other. So if you build a portal which is close to another then that's where you'll end up in.

(edit): Seems I was close on the mark; check out the nether portal page on the Minecraft wiki, it fully explains the "search and link" aspect of the portal.

This also means that you're building inside someone elses area. If I were you I'd verify that this area isn't an established outpost, because if it is... well, GoG already covered that part. It could result in a waste of time & effort.

But to answer your first question: nether rail is definitely a solid way to do this. And because rails are an uncommon block they'll be automatically protected as soon as you place them, which seriously reduces risks of griefing.
  7. incorrect, the block under it (as far as i know) isnt protected meaning it will break if you break that block
    BlitzAttack likes this.
  8. Alright so I'm not entirely surprised now that I've read the wiki page, because I'm sure plenty of other people have had the same idea with the nether, and for a good reason it seems. To be clear, though, my actual base is not in anyone's area. It's when I tried to make a portal near the /wild outpost that I had the problem with running into someone else's territory. The simplest thing to do is to make a small sub-route a little ways out so I am a decent distance from the others, make my own portal, make my own tracks the rest of the way to my base. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Anyways, I've almost cracked the code to having multiple starting points for minecarts and having them slowly merge into one track then split up again at the end. I'll share when I've finished my concept because why not.

Edit : Another point of entry I just realized, instead of using a portal right out of the wild, I could just enter through the nether, and find the coords for my base portal and then match em up with a minecart. I'll have to take a look at the area and make sure I'm not in the middle of anyone, of course, which might be hard if there's a lot of rails, but I could find a way with that method.

Edit 2 : changed /waste outpost to /wild outpost, I am tired
  9. This used to be the case, but that behavior got an update.

(edit)

That can also be explained. The 1:8 distance relationship doesn't apply to the Wastelands. There the whole thing is a 1:1. So maybe that caused some confusion?

Ayups!

I can definitely see where you're coming from, it's sometimes easy to overlook. Also because /frontier (or /wild) and /nether are different commands, but in the end they're still linked to each other :)

Good luck with your railway btw!

Reminds me that I also had plans in that direction for my outpost, but so far most I managed is connect my outpost to another outpost (and not even using a rail but all on foot ;)).
    bitemenow15 likes this.
  10. Hitting the nearest build or established outpost? If you mean nearest build you would be fine establishing as it is 1500 blocks each way from the chest.
  11. I had to travel a fair distance to avoid my portal linking to someone else's in order to have a reliable set.

In the Nether, every block travel equals 8 in the Overworld, so it's definitely quicker to travel through it.

I built an ice road in the Nether, then use a boat to travel along it. It's super quick.
  12. I wouldn't even attempt to make a portal near /wild... Just do /fnether and start from there... Unless your outpost is at one of the new way out spawns... Then I'd say just to use the nether portal at those spawn locations...
  13. Your biggest issue will be the nether portal near spawn always. You have to get approval from the owner of that portal before you can make your own branch. Many times that person is gone since we never refresh the wilderness.

As for your portal issue near your outpost, that makes me believe you are closer to an established outpost already. As noted by many, both the overworld and nether areas around that portal are considered the other owners property.

For my own outpost, I had to find an open nether portal spot, I then use that for a nether access point which I had to get a rail from my outpost about 2500 blocks from it to find an open portal. At that point, I couldn't get any approval on using the only nether portal near the wild east so I just did an under ocean 8k rail. It was actually kind of fun to build and while it is a long trip I can do it without having to do anything myself so it frees me up to do forums or irl stuff.

I want to wish you luck on this, I battled this myself.

One last note, rumor is with "Empires" for EMC you will be able to get a TP ability to town/spawn from your established outpost.
  14. Might I add... If that player is gone for a certain time you can contact staff and they will remove it.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  15. Nearest establishment

Sorry had to clarify, this isn't the issue, I was only having problems with the nether portal close to spawn, the nether near my base is all clear. As far as the portal near the spawn - I don't need one. I'll just enter via the nether and set up the cart in a good spot and use that as my means of loading up.
  16. Just be careful... If you go through to the nether near spawn and add anything, no matter where you think you are putting it, it can be considered an issue since the first person to claim that nether side portal has the rights to that area and how that room looks and so on. For example if something comes up missing (eg mine carts) or there is any griefing, they may try to blame you.

Though see FinchRocks_1's response above as that may help if you do not know who to reach out to or if the player(s) who own that are not active.
  17. He can go directly to the frontier nether and then to somewhere where he has his rail starting. He isn't using any portals until he gets to the corresponding location to come up at his outpost. That is the way to do it.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  18. Nice, where were you at when I was trying to figure out how to get to mine!!! lol oh well, I love my 9k under ocean transit system.
  19. Hey! I made a railroad from my outpost to town like two weeks ago. I still have powerd rails and normal rails left, if you want you can have them? Tell me if you want to and ill setup a chest for you to pick them up!
    mjnoe70 likes this.