Banners for Outposts

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Baradar67, May 7, 2015.

?

Would you like to see banners required for all player outposts?

Yes - And they have to place the banner around the boundaries 2 vote(s) 13.3%
Yes - but placement is optional 4 vote(s) 26.7%
No but a voluntary register is a great idea 7 vote(s) 46.7%
No - the whole thing is a bad idea 2 vote(s) 13.3%
I have a better idea - see the comments 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Hello all.

My comrades-in-arms have created banners for our shops and I thought it was meant for our outpost. This led me to thinking that maybe all outpost should have their own flag/banner and this should be registered along with the outpost when asking for it to be formally recognized. The outpost should have the banners displayed prominently around the perimeter and should be near the locked chest or could be locked instead of a chest for outpost setup.

We could then have a page with the images of all the banners and the outposts they belong to.

In keeping with that, we might need a Chief Herald, someone interested in Heraldry, banners and website maintenance!

Here I give you the banner designed for our outpost River Run on SMP6.

It is Purpure, a saltire azure, bend lime and bend lime sinister. (That's heraldic speak and someone more knowledgeable will point out any errors please). In English it is Purple, a blue diagonal cross with lime bends (which are the outline on the cross).
    River Run Banner-sm.png
    weeh666 and Dramanya like this.
  2. i agree! banners for outposts :D
    weeh666 likes this.
  3. Nice idea :)
  4. I would not like to see this... mandatory anything that involves some sort of skill/rupees isn't good. Maybe voluntary, but I'd like to see it done by a player, not on the Wiki.
    hashhog3000, nfell2009 and ShelLuser like this.
  5. I'd like to chime in with Penguin. When made voluntary I think this could work because I fully agree a banner (a flag) could add up to making an outpost a little more official and optionally look better in general.

But making it mandatory could pose a problem for quite a few players. To me this would be like saying "We'll only approve the establishing of an outpost if it looks nice enough" which I think defeats the spirit of the whole game. Especially because all this would add is a cosmetic improvement.

Take the mandatory part away and I'm all in favor.
  6. Good basis, but not good for execution.

We don't want to limit the creative ability of any player on EMC, therefore we are not going to impose a Outpost Flag rule. Feel free to put them up wherever you feel like, but the staff of EMC will not be mandating the registration of designs nor policing the use of others' creations. (as long as they obey emc rules)
    cadgamer101 and PenguinDJ like this.
  7. Also note some players have established outposts underground for privacy/security, and don't want to make it obvious to the world its there.
  8. As an outpost owner I do plan to put up ours around the main town. Thinking well leave one or 2 customizations on it members want to add thier own touch. It might not fit all builds though and there are plenty of things we don't want to highlight or draw attention to. Player hosted thread though for outpost banners would be cool.

Security and privacy are always a top concern for our outposts. Until the land claim functionality comes out secrecy is our only true protection.
    ShelLuser and weeh666 like this.
  9. I agree with the 4 people above, maybe you should make banners for outposts OPTIONAL. If I had valuables at my outpost, I wouldn't want to put a banner unless I had to. So, great start of an idea, but it just needs some modifications. :)
    kevmeup and weeh666 like this.
  10. Thanks for the responses, definitely didnt think about the more secretive and of course the amount of work involved for staff with anything mandatory.

I imagine the best way to do this is to setup a (stickied) thread for Banners where people can post their banner if they wish and others can look them up, sort of like the Show Yourself thread. Comments?
    kevmeup likes this.
  11. Sounds good to me. Got mine ready, added to establishment thread.
  12. Good idea. The banner ill put up on my res will be the flag if I decide to make an outpost.