Are you an immigrant? / I need help with my exam topic

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Xandrow, Apr 26, 2012.

1. That's how a active community should be like. I spend most of my sparetime here, so i thought why not bring school into my sparetime? Well it turned out to be a very good idea even tho i felt like this will be weird to make a thread about :)

Also my main language is not english so this is a good way to improve my english, even tho the internet ain't school (sort of, we all learn stuff from the internet)
    killerzone likes this.
  2. Some people think Americans work little, and are lazy. Mexicans get a bad wrap too with that stereotype. Others think Japanese work more than anybody. Actual paid averages per capita: "OECD average was 277 minutes (4.6 hours) of paid work, and 207 minutes (3.45 hours) of unpaid work each day." Most would follow paid wage work, and even that is much less than most would think at 4.6 hrs/day on avg. Most countries are generally in the same neighborhood.

Interesting links with info on what countries citizens work the most.

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/13/what-country-works-the-most-each-day/

http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/46/17/37964450.pdf

Who really works the most overall? Mexico.
    Xandrow is in Denmark? They work the least paid hours, second least hours of work overall :p
    Turkey rates highest by OECD measurement in 2002 for employed peoples who work over 45 hours/week.

you're doing quite well with your english :)
  3. Oh thanks :D Fun fact my english got way better after i started playing Minecraft. And it's also pretty difficult to normally talk Danish and Turkish and then in my sparetime talk English (When im playing games)

Also danish people are lazy. An full time' worker works MAX 6hours a day. They can work more than 6hours a day if they them selfs want to work extra. My cousin in Turkey works between 10-12 hours A DAY. See the big difference?

I don't work because i'm studying, and students here in Denmark gets money from the country (I don't know what that's called in English)
    killerzone likes this.
  4. Me answering the questions:

1. This is difficult for me to answer because my bad english (people will understand me wrong)

2. Yes i have. Few times in the streets when i was walking home i saw people being afraid of me, without me doing anything to them. They was judging me without knowing me, that feeling is wrong because i'm not that type of person. And i felt sad after that episode (i've tried it few times)

3. Yes and no. Yes because i'm pretty good at the language and live there (Denmark) No because i'm still from Turkey and was born there. So i don't see my self as 100% Danish or 100% Turkish.

4. It kinda is because the Culture difference between Turkey and Denmark. There are some stuff in Denmark that i never would do in Turkey, and some stuff in Turkey that i never would do in Denmark. So yea its kinda difficult to be your self without being disrespectful to both cultures
    killerzone and BloodDisciple like this.
  5. Lol I cant believe this thread is quite helpful really EMC is the best forget the rest :D
    BobTheTomato9798 and Xandrow like this.
  6. Indeed, it's very helpfull for me, deathline is tomorrow. And i got what i needed. :)
    killerzone likes this.
  7. I will still appreciate if more people could answer the questions :D
    killerzone likes this.
  8. My dad is from denmark and he moved here fine. I know in denmark english is taught in schools and most Danes pass the test. You'll be fine and will pass for sure.
  9. Do you mean the deadline? hahaha
    Do you mean financial aid? or student loans?

My experience with immigration is second hand. I am an American, and grew up in middle of no where Ohio, so I haven't really had much exposure to any kind of radical ethnic diversity. I did work on a fruit farm that employed several Mexicans, all of whom BLEW US AWAY with what they could pick in a given time period. It was literally scary what they could do. They were assisted by the farm owner to get here legally, two of whom gained citizenship. For those two they managed to get here with the assistance of a government program that was running at the time, but even with that it took them 10 years a piece and $30,000 to get here. Due to this the others got here legally yes, but they are afraid to try to go back because they wouldn't be allowed back in, since their cards that got them here have expired.

Another happened to a man that my mom knows through a church connection. He is from an African country and got here virtually effortlessly. He married an American woman and had 2 children while he was here. Then a few years later he returned to his country of origin to go to a funeral for one of his dear relatives and was only there for about two weeks. During those two weeks, the US changed its foreign policies with that country, and when he tried to come home, they wouldn't allow him over the boarder and put him on the next plane back. His wife and children could get in since they are citizens, but now, I believe it has been somewhere around 8 or 9 years since this all happened, he still cannot get back into the country.

The US immigration policies make me SICK to say the least.
  10. I'm not an immigrant and I'm not going to pretend like I am one. I am half-asian; my dad came here from Taiwan when he was 11.

1. There are lots of both. Some advantages are that you tend to think more openly about race, especially the one you 'belong to'. There's a lot of prejudice and stereotypes out there, but the ones towards asians aren't NEARLY as harsh as others I've heard. Also, another stereotype is that caucasians (aka whites) tend to be racist and think they're superior. I have a lot of white friends, and hardly any of them care at all about race.

2. I've never been called prejudice, but you never know. I guess there are expectations that come with the stereotypes, but I've never shunned someone simply because they're of a different race.

Do I think it's a scandal having immigrants in my country? Of course not. Heck, the USA was built by immigrants. The only people currently living on the American continent that were not immigrants are the Native Americans, and (if you follow human migration theories) even they came over from Eurasia when the Bering Strait iced over. I think that as a country with ideals based on freedom and opportunity, we're ALWAYS going to get immigrants. I mean, who doesn't want a life of freedom and opportunity?

My stance on illegal immigration is that... well, it's illegal. It shouldn't be done. But I don't think that we have the right to racially profile Hispanic-Americans (who may be living here just as legally as you or me) just in case they might be an illegal immigrant. Sure, if we catch them crossing the border illegally, we should send them back. But going to all the reasons WHY they're coming, it's not like we are completely innocent. I don't really want to get into the whole 'Fast and Furious' thing, but one of the push factors for Mexican immigrants is the massive drug war going on. If we don't want legions of illegal immigrants from Mexico, we would do well not to perpetuate the violence going on there. I know this is a sensitive topic; just trying to throw in my two cents.
  11. Iknow i will pass, i already passed the test so Exams wont be that hard, just trying to go all in :p
    killerzone likes this.
  12. Yup deadline, my mistake :D

And i'm not sure since i don't know whats that called in U.S

I'll edit this later on if i don't forget.
    killerzone likes this.