An easy way to check the value of items

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussion' started by samtheboo, Feb 12, 2017.

?

Did I Solve Your Problem/Answer Your Question?

This poll will close on Jun 12, 2025 at 5:49 PM.
Yes 1 vote(s) 33.3%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Sorta 2 vote(s) 66.7%
  1. Search the community auction archive.
    How, you might ask. Here's how.
    1. Go to the advanced search page (https://empireminecraft.com/search/)
    2. In the keyword field, type in what you have. Try not to be too specific. Enter 'rememberance poppy' rather than '2014 rememberance poppy'.
    3. Check search titles only
    4. In the 'Search In Forums' box, scroll down to 'Community Auction Archives' and click on it
    5. Press search
    6. Open the first relevant result
    7. Find the winning bid
    The winning bid, provided that the auction is current enough, should give you an idea of the value.
    I hope I helped!
    --samtheboo
    Jelle68 and Slvr like this.
  2. You have to be careful with auctions, in that they can often reflect extremes in the market and/or anomalies.

The price of an item also depends on the quantity purchased.

For most items, the more you want to buy and the faster you want it, the more expensive it becomes. This is because limited amounts are available at lower prices, and eventually the last of an item would be really expensive. For example, if you want a stack of Sand, you can buy it 50r some places (if you know where), but if you want a DC, you'd have to pay 128r/stack. If you want say 10-20 DCs within the next 30 minutes, then the cost is generally 150r/stack.

For many items, there is an inverse relationship. Lots of people can produce those items in bulk. A good example would be XP bottles. Buying a few of them, typically you will pay say ~25r each. If you want a stack, you can often find bulk deals and it's worth the time to shop around and maybe find for 20r each. If you buy tons, you can deal directly with suppliers and get something like 15r each or even less.

I think the best idea of price is to use as many sources as possible!
    - Yes, it includes recent auctions. (Bearing in mind all the warnings above.)
    - Visit as many shops as you can, both buy and sell prices. But beware a lot of shops are out of stock. Try to buy the item if possible so you can see if there is stock. You can also try to sell an item even if you don't have one to check stock levels. (Which you can't do with buying.)
    - Ask people who supply it how much they charge, but bear in mind the cheapest supplier may not be reliable.

There's really no such thing as the 'price' of an item. It's really more of a scatter of prices people believe. You have high and low prices. In markets where there is a much higher trade volume, the variation is less, but it's still there for sure! When the prices goes up or down, and based on different information, individual players are willing to buy or sell at different prices.
  3. So true.