[Survey] What kept you on EMC?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xXBuffa1oXx, Mar 15, 2016.

1. I made really awesome friends, people whom I felt I could connect with in real life. Then our friendship grew, and with the help of WolfInAction, FlareonInAction, Khixan, Syrio_, and many other players, I decided I thoroughly enjoyed playing with these people, so we kept setting tasks (Mostly the incredibly ridiculous ones) like killing a wither, going to the end and randomly attacking enderman, going for days out in the wild, and building mall(s). Yes Wolf and I built more than one mall, don't judge. Anyways, it was these players that kept me playing emc.
    SealInAction likes this.
  2. When I first joined 4 years ago, I liked the fact of the Plots/Reses, and the shop systems. People where nice. Although over the years, I have noticed the younger generation getting more rude. I stay as I have done so much on emc, and will continue to support the server when I can. I also have few friends in-game, and few friends on mumble who I talk to.

Although this is the case, I have been growing away from certain people on emc due to the Drama, and the Rudeness I get. I hope that in time people will become more understanding and nicer to other players.
    M4ster_M1ner and 607 like this.
  3. I would really like a name so I can investigate this. Please pm me.
    fBuilderS likes this.
  4. I've thought about this for a while, your question is more difficult than you think, but..

For me it's most of all Minecraft to begin with. I enjoy playing it and EMC provides. I guess the main reason is because playing on EMC doesn't alienate me from playing Minecraft. Sure, when I play singleplay (or on my LAN server) there are some features I've grown used to and those aren't there. Things like the compass for example.

But I've never felt that all of a sudden single play was no longer fun anymore because of what I could do on EMC.

For example... On my previous server we also had a mining world, but we could also teleport from wherever we were. So mining was relatively easy: you teleported to the mining world, started mining and when you were done (no matter if you managed to lock yourself up completely) then home was but one teleport command away. Ran out of food and you were 1000 blocks away from the spawn? No matter! Ravines? Jump right in (no fall damage).

So the moment I played on singleplay after a few sessions of that I really had to adjust to mining. Because I basically left my house, went mining, but I also had to find my way back again. No easy teleport commands (unless you gave yourself some command blocks of course, but I always considered that cheating).

Things are different now. Sure.. I sometimes miss out on /dispose, I'd also like to have a useful compass, but in general I don't feel to be playing some kind of weird game. It's all Minecraft.

The only thing I can come up with is maybe making it a bit more obvious when someone moved into the Frontier straight away. There is a difference between those messages (one is in clear blue, the other more 'hidden') but it still manages to fool people who welcome the player while they're out in the Frontier (so they son't see town chat).

Still, I don't think it really needs changing, it does its job well.

Thing is: we also need to be careful that you don't make things too intrusive. Some players like to be left alone and stick to themselves most of the time. Even though EMC is more of a group effort I also think that you should always keep those players in mind as well.

As to motivating players to greet new players: no, I think that's a bad idea. When you greet a new player its best if you actually really mean it and don't greet them because there might be something attached to it. Because if you really mean your welcome words, then you also won't mind if that player starts asking questions. You'll answer them, because you want those players to feel at home.

But if you just greet them because it might get you something, and then simply ignore them whenever they ask something then yah... That would really leave a weird impression on them.

I appreciate you sharing your opinion, even though it is negative. But having come to know you a little bit better (and I really respect all the work you put into the contrib. team and your parkour builds!) I can't help share that I am sorry to hear this. Of course, each to their own but yah...
    iamcavie and 607 like this.
  5. I believe if we change it more it sounds more desperate. I have been on many servers after I left and trust me, I don't want a see a paragraph joining in saying how great the server is.

I can go on the Announcement text. Please update it. Wastelands were scheduled for Feb 28th please just say "After EMC updates to 1.9" Servers with faulty information for new players is a little weird.
    ShelLuser and jossytheninja like this.
  6. the supposed dragon tombs, jk! aikar take your time to make the awesome update happen.

It was the propaganda video that ICC made that he talked to a pig to show the build he built, but then he discovered EMC, so he could share it with everyone
    FDNY21 and jossytheninja like this.
  7. Actually, that wasn't ICC. That was a player that made that video.
    The player name escapes me atm, but credit where credit is due...

EDIT: Simon found it. The player was heyaroo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxHXQVrIqRU
  8. I stayed because I love Minecraft, need an SMP to stay interesred and EMC has one if the best infrastructures around.

At different times its also the people, both in game and on the forums that keep me here :)

Once "Empires", " Outposts" and some usability improvements for The End are added, EMC will be complete in my opinion.
    ShelLuser and Moonglum_ like this.
  9. Exactly the same. I only login to keep my residences. Use the forums occasionally.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  10. At first!! I stayed because of the creativity of the kids in town with their skin contests and firework at sunset shows and the clever shops where they would bake you a cake or serve you fast food. they did this to make a measly amount of rupees but it was creative and a lot of them made it very entertaining.

Then I lived in the wastelands for about a month and brought my spoils back to town and built my own fortune.

There I met my friend that was doing the same thing for weeks about 400 blocks away, unknown to me until after we met. We shared our mining bases and had tea and crumpets... no the tea was later and the crumpets... we don't like crumpets i fear.

I was then intrigued by the malls in town when I met yet another friend. ooooh friends are fun.

Even when I am playing with no friends on EMC I am always entertained. there is always something to do regardless of the bah humbugs that still stay around despite all their whining.

My favorite thing though and the reason i will be around and have been around for a long time is that near infinite frontier where I can build whatever I want, share it with friends and not have to worry about it ever getting deleted til emc servers death do us part. I could literally build until I myself die if the servers last that long and I would never run out of space.

Edit for ironic ninja. so ironic that ninja
    ShelLuser, jossytheninja, 607 and 4 others like this.
  11. I didn't see this and wasn't editing my post again(someone else ninja me again so it doesn't look like a double post)

I don't think there is a problem with the message. On any server people will log out as soon as they join if they don't see exactly what they want. A lot of minecraft players are young and don't want to investigate the new servers they just want everything immediately. EMC is too broad to be able to understand every facet of it as soon as you finish the tutorial. even the tutorial has so much info you can't possibly remember it all your first time here and going through it.

When I play in the wee hours and see a new person and am not busy(look we can't always tend to the new people or it becomes a job) I will take them out to the wastelands with me or to the mall or around town and if they have played minecraft before and i get a good vibe they might even get to see my secret base because I know they will have no idea how to get back after all the mazes I take them through and all the commands I require them to put in xD I make sure to engage new players epspecially in the wee hours because they are obviously less populated, that time of day I mean. Having someone else to pay to do my bidding that late/early will come in handy :D

edit: ninjas went on lunch break early, lunch isn't supposed to be for another 30 minutes. its only 11:30AM emc time.
    ShelLuser and jossytheninja like this.
  12. *Taps metal foot* Not inclusion of me? :confused:
    PhoenixAffinity likes this.
  13. Oh, memories... <3
    That video was published shortly after I joined, when I was still getting into EMC and really loving playing on the server. I miss heyaroo, and quite some people in that video...
    ShelLuser likes this.
  14. Mainly the promos kept me on, my goal was to get a SC and now I'm struggling to keep them in 2 DCs, but nowadays its all the awesome people I get excited to see when they log on, you know who you are ;)
  15. Why are people liking this comment?
    ShelLuser, Gawadrolt and PenguinDJ like this.
  16. Nice to know you like the server, theres only a certain amount of stuff we can do to exite players. Maybe try a project to do, a big build or something. You can do more in MC than PvP and parkour. *waits for one of DJ's hateful replies*
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  17. LOL that's what I thought. Yesterday it was the second most liked post in the thread behind Krysyys...
    See, that's the thing, I DON'T like the server. I like my friends and that's it. I enjoy PvP so that's what I do. I have tried to make big builds. I had pages and pages of plans for EMC years ago. I never started them because I find survival/economy MC to be incredibly uninteresting. And why would I be hateful? That hidden statement is more hateful than anything I'd post on this thread, because I don't give enough [plural word of choice] about being here to start fights/bate/arguments or to get offended by what people say.

Written on a moving bus so excuse any mistakes.
  18. The community. When it comes to servers I know no other server with such a close community of people it's like were a small town in the middle of nowhere sometimes.
  19. Myself, its a combination of things. The flexibility of minecraft itself that just isnt available in other games (to the same degree). EMC because of the people, so many great ppl! The friendly atmosphere, the way its run; its professional, balanced, controlled without feeling like it.
    Oh and I dont like PVP, so I dont have to, its optional (those that want to; can, those that dont; dont have to) I like that too.
    The way I can build or do what i want where I want, however I want (within some understandable limits of course).
    And when that time came (about a year ago) when I had built everything i could think of, when the game became a bit slow, mining a bit tedious and didn't know what else I could do; I became a Mod... Problem solved, lol.
    607 likes this.
  20. My reason right now? It's promos. As horrible as it may be, the special items are what truly keep me on.