Enchanting Is So Disappointing...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dark_Liz, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I'm saying that they could drop XP, but not always. Sometimes.
  2. I thought that if you hit them once before they died they dropped exp??
  3. It has to be your damage that kills them.
  4. Wiki:

Death by Fire/ Lava - Mobs will not drop orbs if killed by fire, lava or burning.
    However, if the mob was ignited by an enchanted sword, and the following burning damage kills the mob, it will drop orbs.
  5. Thanks! :)
  6. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Xp#Bugs

In Minecraft 1.0.0, Experience is not always rewarded after killing an animal/mob/player, this may be due to effects such as "Fire Effect" for swords which do additional damage and that damage may not be attributed to you. Animals/mobs should give experience 100% of the time if you use a standard sword and the killing blow is yours.
  7. That would explain my initial observations and assumptions about Fire Aspect. I guess I had originally only noticed the times when they dropped no XP orbs after dying from the fire.

So... Fire Aspect is like a curse that's broken and only causes it's ill effect intermittently, lol.

That's better than a fully functioning curse any day. :)
  8. Precisely.
  9. Ill pay based on the enchants, fire aspect alone on a diamond sword, ill pay 1000r, If there are more enchants, ill pay more
  10. The sword is in a chest in my tower that you have access to IPwnCreeps (main floor, on the left when you enter) .

It's yours. Free. Enjoy! :)
  11. You got a better one then? ;)
  12. Nah. I'm just still... disenchanted by the whole thing. lol

And IPwnCreeps will have fun with it I'm sure. :)
    IPwnCreeps and d1223m like this.
  13. =DDDDDDDDDDD
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  14. I'm still having a terrible experience of the whole XP/enchanting thing.

I won't get into the details of my psychological anaylisis of how all this is set up is adversely affecting my, and others, experience of the game. All I'll say is that I think this way of handling the concept and function of experience points is totally lame and really takes away from having a positive game experience.

I mean, wouldn't it be way better if XP was something permenent? What if levels were harder to gain but the effects stayed with us? ...with the possibility of even losing something like 10% (or slightly more) of it when we die or something.

What if each level could be put to improving a certain ability, like mining speed, running speed, holding your breath, etc., but in very small increments, like maybe 1% faster per level or something? Of course, like I said, levels would have to be gained much more slowly.

Can you imagine how cool it would be to, after a month of playing and gaining xp, be able to mine 50% faster?

...with the chance of that going down to 45% (a 10% loss) if you die... or something like that.

Also, in a game like Minecraft, XP really needs to be also gained from doing things related to mining.

That would be a solid, and encouraging, XP system. Unlike the current system.

And how many other possible XP systems are there that would be astronomically better than this current malarky?
    d1223m and shaunwhite1982 like this.
  15. It also occurs to me that calling the energy used to enchant things "XP" is a severe misnomer.

The concept and use of "Experience Points" in Minecraft is nothing like the concept of gaining experience in any meaningful way. In RPGs, the concept of gaining experience is meant to simulate/represent how people grow and become better and more skilled at what they do. In Minecraft, with the current "XP" system, there is no such association.

What is called "XP" in Minecraft would be better named "Magical Energy" or something similar. "XP Orbs" actually represent the magical energy that needs to be collected in order to imbue items with magical properties.

"XP" in Minecraft has absolutely nothing to do with esperience points.

So the conclusion that must be arrived at is that Minecraft does NOT have an Experience Point system. It has a resource-based Magical Energy Collection system that's disguised as an XP system.
  16. I think part of the problem is calling it XP in the first place as it's different from the XP we're used to from other games. Perhaps magical charge, or something like that. (Edit: Your last post didn't actually show up until after I posted this :) )

The problem I see with XP being permanent and rewarding permanent perks in the way that MMOs do, is that once you've got them all, then what? You win the game?

I agree that enchanting needs attention. What's the point of listing enchants we don't have enough XP to do? Infact why not let us just pick the level we want, rather than RSI inducing page flipping?
    Dark_Liz likes this.
  17. you just described the MMO plugin for Bukkit. A never ending XP system that allows you to build on your skills, by USING those skills.
  18. Derp this is so cunfusing is fire aspect bad or not?
  19. Very similar to elder scroll skill gaining ability. The more you jump, the more you increase jump skill, etc.
    I agree it would be great if after a certain amount of counts, your level of that skill would increase.
    Example:
    100 blocks broken with pick = Level 2
    300 " " = Level 3
    600 " " = Level 4
    1000 " " = Level 5
    1500 " " = Level 6
    Etc.
    If this is what the MMO plugin does it would be definately worth a look into.
  20. Looking at the Magical Energy system (I'm calling it that from now on instead of "XP") as it is, it actually isn't all that bad if it was implemented and presented as a Magical Energy system rather than falsely as an XP system.

If Magical Energy Orbs dropped from creatures and we were able to pick them up like any other resource and store them in chests, then we would be able to interact with them just like any other resource and use them as such without thinking they're representative of some kind of growth or gain other than just another resource.

And even if using them was a gamble due to a wonky enchantment system, thier importance would not be exaggerated by displaying them up front and centre and calling them somthing they're not (XP) that makes them sound, and feel, like they're something other than just another resource... to be used for gambling with possibly getting some good magical enchantment on an item in this case.

Magical energy collection and enchantment could work fine like it is... but not if it's called or presented as an XP system.