Writers Needed for the new SMP7 Bookstore!

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by harpyLemons, Sep 8, 2017.

1. I already have a thread about the bookstore somewhere, but I figured, why not just put up a "help wanted" ad in the writers' corner!

I'm needing lots of writers for the store! So far it's only got 3 genres, so we need more! Whatever genre you wish to write will be added if it doesn't already exist. And be creative! Instruction manuals, EMC history, and other topics of that category are accepted as well as pretty much any genre you can think of. The only rules are:

1. Follow all EMC rules. This should go without saying, but I'm saying it again.

2. Use correct grammar! I suggest using Microsoft Word or another word processor with a spelling/grammar/punctuation checker, or a program like Grammarly (not an ad for it, I've just seen plenty ads and know it exists, it's probably useful if you can afford it). Books with insanely horrific grammar will NOT be put in the shop.

3. Same goes with spelling.

4. And punctuation.

5. As well as capitalization.

6. Be CAREFUL of the US copyright laws. Do not use any currently copyrighted material (such as copying Harry Potter, for example), as it is possible you will be caught and that'll earn you a large fine.

7. Try to avoid risky topics such as politics, religion (yes, for all you on SMP7 you know I have religion books, this rule is just a general guideline. You may still write them, I'm just suggesting you avoid it), or similar topics.

8. If you do end up writing a book about a risky topic, please carefully consider your words as well as the other viewpoints. Arrogant or assuming books will not be tolerated!

9. Have fun writing the books!

The way this will work is, you'll write the book (one copy!) and send it to me via mail. If I like the book, I'll contact you asking for an amount of copies and a price per copy. Otherwise, I will not contact you. If it takes me a week to contact you, do NOT go hunt me down and find me just to ask me if I got your book. This creates very awkward situations if I did not contact you for a reason-- and I hate awkward situations.

Thank you to the four authors who have already written books for my store!

You may visit the store at '/v +bookstore books' if you so wish. It is important that you add the 'books' at the end, as the residence is also my directory residence and this command spawns you in the actual directory. If you do spawn at the top, however, just go downstairs! Thank you for your business and support!
  2. Reminded me that Grammarly exists. Shudder.

Anyway, may write or may not write something. mh
    Shadow_Dcord and Harp4Christ like this.
  3. Have you tried it? Sounds useful but it's like $15/month sooooo.. yeah.
  4. I can certainly help you, but I do need to run my own bookstore, NESB, whilst help another EMCer with theirs. If you do want a book to be written for your store, I can arrange for that.
  5. Tried the free grammar checker, and I strongly dislike it. I've never really had a complaint about my writing style, but according to Grammarly I may as well be a five year old trying to write a barely functioning sentence.

It also doesn't take into account certain dialects; for example, I speak Scouse English and grammar is sometimes structured differently to most other English dialects, but Grammarly seems to believe I'm a foreigner who doesn't speak a lick of English when I input something typed like how I talk. Gets really annoying with the big buttons in the corner blocking off your words because it thinks you made a mistake.
    Harp4Christ likes this.
  6. Can we add a Deep Space fiction section? I am all about writing some of that.
    Harp4Christ likes this.
  7. Sci-Fi! I don't have any yet so I haven't added it, but sure! That sounds really cool!
    fluffinator09 likes this.
  8. Also, I did not see this mentioned, but do authors get a cut?
    Shadow_Dcord likes this.
  9. I came, I saw, I bought... Thanks!!
    Harp4Christ likes this.
  10. Sorry it took me so long to respond! This is kind of a tricky question. In technicality, no, the writers do not receive a cut. There is no way to actually split the cost from the shop sign to two people. HOWEVER, I buy the books from the authors. Most books I'll buy for around 100r. Now, I might sell it for more than that, but you still make the original 100r per copy. So in practicality, yes, authors make a cut of the book.

That's just a technicality. You write the books, you copy the books (thanks to Minecraft's built-in copyright, I'm unable to copy another author's books.), I buy the books from you, and if they sell well, I'll ask for more copies. You make almost 90% profit on it.
  11. Also, sorry to be so confusing. I don't want any sort of trouble so I have to be specific about technicalities.