What makes a graphics card good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jjp360, Nov 22, 2014.

1. If I wanted to play skyrim smoothly on a TOSHIBA SATELLITE what sort of graphics card should I get? Or should I get one? Would I be able to play it on this laptop smoothly and would I there be any point in getting one for this laptop or should I just look for another model?
    (Forgot to mention I also have a standard graphics card as I don't really know what makes a graphics card good or bad)
  2. Very difficult to add/upgrade a graphics card to a laptop. Can only be done with peripheral adapters, which are not very good (limited by the speed of the port it is connected to) or serious modifications to the laptop unless there are original upgrade options for that model of laptop. The original upgrades are likely out of date cards and the cost of them is going to be 2-4 times that of a desktop card.

You could almost build a whole new desktop PC for the cost and effort of upgrading video on an older laptop.
  3. Ok thanks!
  4. For the cost of modding a laptop you may as well get even a junk PC with decent graphics added in it.