Tutorial Skipping

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Nov 11, 2013.

1. It seems like I am not the only one that is not in favor with this new Tutorial Skipping idea. The real only thing this could be useful for is for alternate accounts to skip it, TBH.

How about we use the already suggested ideas for this update? If a player skips the tutorial, at least have the rules pop up on the screen, and a little help bar. It is probably getting really fustrating for plyaers to contiouseousely be telling new players how to do everything. Sadly, IMHO, this server is a little confusing for new players that skip the tutorial. There is so many commands and features and they new player doesn't know what to expect. In most games, they have instructions and tell you a BASIC idea of what to expect in the game. Why not the same on EMC? The tutorial is beyond confusing, maybe the tutorial in the past brought more players than the tutorial now? The tutorial even today is still cluttered with some mess and confusement.

If a players skips the tutorial, can we atleast have the commands and rules pop up? And for help they could have /ophelp and this idea would pop up?
    Jake_bagby and cddm95ace like this.
  2. My point exactly the Skip Tutorial Option helps people interact with the real server instead of being stuff for an hour trying to figure out how to do the tutorial.

I can deal with the questions, the spamming, begging, and maybe the threats, but if we can pick 1 good player out of 5 that skip the tutorial that's one more player that we can play with, enjoy our time on EMC with, and help. The Skip Tutorial is good enough to the point that we get more players and to the point that we sort the bad apples from the good ones.
  3. What we should do is make the recommend server not smp9. It builds up sooooo many players on there. Make it smp2 or 3 or something.
  4. But people with alts know all the answers so they will just wizz threw it, I did it in 2 mins with my alt
    Aquazzz likes this.
  5. Maybe make it so they get reminders to try it after a certain amount of time.
  6. Minecraft's peak was during the 1.1-1.25 versions. Ever since then, they have been ruining the core essence of the game in their effort of trying to keep sales going. Its too bad that there isn't a Minecraft classic, and a Minecraft 2.0.
  7. I'll just go out and say that this is a step in the right direction. The tutorial is great, yeah, but the first 5-10 minutes are when someone decides whether or not they want to invest. After that period of first impression is over, it is incredibly difficult to change one's opinion.

In a perfect world, the tutorial would explain things as they became relevant. Minecraft isn't exactly perfect.

The tutorial is still around, and it is incentivized with rewards of rupees, equipment, and the all-powerful diamond. People who are good players will still be good players, people who get banned within the first twenty minutes will simply get banned within the first ten.

While EMC may be complicated at times, assuming that, without hand-holding, nobody can comprehend it—well, it's just foolish. Put a little more faith in the kind of people we want to have around.

(Also, if people don't understand why Aikar is more concerned with longevity.. he's spent like a year working on the Dragon Tombs, among other things. How terrible would you feel if something you poured your heart and soul into was seen by nobody?)
    Aquazzz likes this.
  8. THIS.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  9. I think it's good that the tutorial is now optional. I hate it when members in tutorial leave, I find that this is only happening because they were disappointed by a first impression: A no-fun tutorial, no player creations included. I guess you can consider players that do this as future troublemakers, but I think all new players would realize that they have a lot of good potential on these servers right out of the gate. Members on the server can encourage the newbies to do the tutorial too, especially with the Easter eggs in it.
  10. Not a good thing. I know that EMC needs numbers but whats the point of having noobs that have no idea what they're doing and will probably quit after a few hours compared to well-educated players that keep coming back daily (that have done the tutorial)
    wisepsn and Olaf_C like this.
  11. I remember the old tutorial was a bit weird to me but my friend kept on telling me to do it. So after I did it and got a nice welcome, I started playing. I refused a few times but then I gave up and let him show me the serer. Now im around 300 days in and look at me now. I will stay in this serer till the end. In some parts of the new tutorial the area around it is distracting, but is also cool. Yes we might not get SO many people at once but at least most wont be trollers and can turn out to be your best friend. Servers that you can just get on is the target for trollers. No going through it so fast. Poor maxarias worked so hard.
    wisepsn, RainbowChin and Aquazzz like this.
  12. If you /skip ,There should be some 1-2 hour demo period where you can look around the server,but not interact with things.And then it should send you back to the tutorial with the message 'If you like EMC,learn how to play by doing the tutorial!'
    wisepsn, cddm95ace and Olaf_C like this.
  13. guys with all the idea being pumped into this thread aikar stated the goal and why, i agree the spammers we have gotten are nothing next to the amount of time we have. Is it annoying yes. can we live with it yes.

At most they come on spamm and get banned it. Use /report to ensure this happens. i myself take a no mercy stance on advertising.

The goal of the new tutorial was to revive and inform which it did. People still got lost we made it next to fool proof with out an auto tutorial. Wich can be done and with all the stuff being done atm would not been seen for a while even if considered.

So bottom line is as part of the empire stand up and help the new members that wish to skip the tutorial. They only hurt themself if they do and miss out on all the perks
    Kaizimir and BevK56 like this.
  14. Smp2 please!!! I completely agree with him :)
    Aquazzz likes this.
  15. We would be helping the new players 24/7.. then they might quit the server because they are so confused and have NO idea what to do, or what the commands do. They might not even know EMC is an economy server. :p
  16. Tutorial doesn't even tell them there is an economy, and please be careful with wording, we are not an economy server, we simply have an economy :p

We will be adding a book for new players that covers everything, hopefully this weekend.

Working on some stuff right now and should be done with it today.
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  17. I gave away a book and quill with the EMC rules signed by me once in a scavenger hunt. I think JCPlugs found it. This book idea is a really good one.
  18. i agree, a book sounds like a good idea. and make it soulbound :D

one thing i realized in the last weeks when new players joined is they have no idea where to get materials, maybe there should be some hint about what /town /wild /waste is and how to switch between those worlds. a strong advise to use the live map could help too. many get the info to go to the waste and then they are stuck there having no clue how to get back to their res.

maybe the website/forum should get mandatory again. optional as it is now leaves a lot of newcomers clueless, most i tried to help did not knew that there was a website, guides, etc.
  19. No.
    As Aikar said before, that would lead to a terrible gameplay experience, most likely causing the player to leave for good.
    Imagine, you're a new player just a few hours old, you're playing good, getting loads of resources and you are just about to mine your first diamond on EMC, then *woosh* you are teleported to the tutorial to be forced to do something you originally thought was optional. You would be confused, annoyed and quite possibly angry, you may even think that a Mod/Admin is tp'ing you around just for fun.
    Not good.
    Qwerty189 likes this.
  20. I was saying that it would be a MESSAGE telling you that you should go to the tutorial.Plus no interacting during demo.