The All Caps Terminator

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Mallosaurus, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find a thread on it. So here goes. I feel like we should have an anti-caps filter in the chat. Before you shoot me down, please read the whole post. On a different multiplayer online game, if someone capitalized all the words in a post, it would automatically be reduced to lower case. UNLESS they added a space on the end or some lower case letters. I feel like we could make this work in minecraft servers as well.

And no, this wouldn't solve the caps problem, but it would:

1. Prevent new players from typing in all caps, accidentally or deliberately. Being new, they wouldn't know how to get around the anti caps feature. (Unless they read this post, haha.)

2. Weed out people who deliberately type in all caps, if they go around the feature. Because if they know that much, they have absolutely no excuse. And "sorry all caps" and "my keyboard is broke" will no longer keep them from getting a kick or temp ban.

That's assuming Aikar (or whoever works on it) doesn't find a way to do away with any holes in the anti-caps feature. I feel like it would be a useful feature... unless it caused server lag. In which case, the good work it'd be doing would be cancelled out by the horrible lag outs. Thoughts?
  2. Meh likings.
  3. Creates chat lag unfortunately. Otherwise I like it.
  4. I have a bad habit of accidentally pressing caps lock instead of shift... It can be really embarrassing. I think it is a good idea because I see a lot of messages like "COME TO MY SHOP I HAVE THE CHEAPEST PRICES" "SORRY CAPS" and it can be really annoying. I think that it is a good idea besides the lag that it might cause. I actually have seen a few servers with a feature kinda like this...
  5. As NINJA has said, this sadly causes a lot of lag as every message has to be checked first. :( Oh, and old thread >.>
    mba2012 and NINJATTILA like this.
  6. Please avoid from bumping old Threads.
    mba2012 likes this.
  7. It was an old thread? Sorry, didn't notice. I usually try not to comment on old threads.
    NINJATTILA likes this.
  8. I think its a good idea i always accidently push caps OOPS did it again lol
  9. In principle, yes. In reality? Not so much.
  10. Most all-caps posts are matched by regex ([A-Z]\s?[A-Z]\s?[A-Z]\s?[A-Z]\s?)
    This excludes strings of capitals length 3 or shorter.
    Blocked:
    • TROLOLOLOLO123
    • S P A C E S
    • tHE cAPSLOCK kEY iS aCTIVE
    Allowed:
    • EMC is awsome!
    • !!!!!!!! (would take more work to remove)
  11. Guys, this thread is super old. Please quit posting in it. :/ I'm going to see if a mod will lock it or something.
  12. One of emc forums greatest fails?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.