Terrible Drowning Glitch...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dark_Liz, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Many of you are probably aware of the glitch that happens when you start taking damage from drowning and it totally prevents you from moving upward because each time you take damage it pushes you downwards.

I just had the misfortune of experiencing the nastiness of this glitch personally. I was no more than a block or two away from the surface of the water, and it just kept pushing me down... I was totally unable to move upwards even that short distance.

From what I remember, this wasn't the case pre 1.0. Drowning damage used to slow upward movement as it made you stop momentarily each time you took damage, but you still had a chance to get to the top if you weren't too deep.

Now, once you run out of little bubbles you're dead!

The moral of this post: don't go diving until this bug is fixed!

(If my observations are somehow inaccurate please feel free to correct me. This is just what I saw/experienced.)

This bug makes any but the shallowest diving impossible. I'm hoping it's fixed soon.

2. I don't dive, simply because even if you die once, your stuff is gone. Anytime you return to get your stuff back, you'll just drown again. In moments of dire need, I use doors, signs and torches. These three things create air pockets underwater that refill air. Even the brief seconds a torch gives refills the air to 10 bubbles.
    clintwards likes this.
  3. Ikr i hate when that happens
  4. In a semi-related note, I wish we could use sponges again...
  5. I have died as a result of this glitch several times, but I have also lived through taking damage while swimming to the surface without air... so I don't know what makes it happen but I agree that it should be fixed. It is very frustrating when it happens. :(
  6. I've actually always noticed this. Are we sure it's a glitch? This used to happen to me when I first started in MC...in the 1.6's.
  7. Just seems glitchy to me... it happens at times and doesn't happen at other times. To me, there doesn't seem to be an in-game explanation as to why taking damage would intentionally prevent upward movement in water. If that were meant to be the case, why wouldn't they have just caused the character to die immediately when the air bubbles run out, since preventing further ascension in water at that point results in death anyway? If it's not a glitch, I still think it is something that should be changed.
  8. we should be able to use sponges again. i'd make the underground of my res water and have a cave :)
  9. If I remember there's a plugin for the sponges
  10. I've died once from this in smp3, but the next time I started drowning, I held my tongue just right and managed to make it to the top with 1/2 hp left.

So... idk, maybe it's the server's way of playing god...