[SUGGESTION] SS Service - Pre 1.18 Bedrock Solution

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Merek_Shadower, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Pre 1.18 SS Service Suggestion

Some of you may know this and some of you may not so I'll try to describe this best I can. I have also included a video that will greatly add to my suggestion.

*Note this would all have to be done pre update to 1.18

The upcoming issue - When we update to 1.18.1 the world heights change as you know and bedrock gets moved to y -64 (MINUS 64). Some people have builds in the frontier down to bedrock. (y-0) With the new changes they would have to take down their builds, dig another 64 block out and rebuild. I have a suggestion that could simplify this.

The resolve - To stop bedrock where it is currently and not let any block spawn below the current y=0 all you need to do is break the bedrock at y=0. Whatever shape you make, lets just say 32 block by 32 block. Once the bottom layer is broke no block will spawn below that 32x32 area you broke out when you update to 1.18. But the bedrock you leave above it will stay. Meaning bedrock at y=1, y=2 y=3, etc. Yes a few holes may to be filled in after you remove the layer at y=0.

PLEASE SEE attached video for better explanation.

The video - Please start at 2:50 secs and this is only about 1 min long. This best describes how to accomplish what I am describing. Click here -> Keeping Bedrock at y=0 for certain areas before updating to 1.18

The Service- For a fee, SS would come to your claim and from the 4 corners of coords you chose to save SS would remove 1 layer, y=0 bedrock of those approved coords and fill in any reg block so there are no holes to the void. Meaning filling in where there is no bedrock at y=1. In the video you can see areas at the bottom where you see granite and such after the y=0 bedrock was removed. Those would be replaced with bedrock.

The purpose- This would be used for the frontier only as the waste and town would not have that option. It would save players who have tons and tons of builds at bedrock and who don't wish to deal with new caves being an issue below what they already thought was at the bottom. This was a concern I have heard from a few players who don't want to move builds they have at bedrock now. Something along this suggestion would resolve this.

Summary -If this was implemented it could save only the area of choosing to remain at bedrock while allowing the rest of the land to generate to depths of y-64. I see that it would be possible to build sideways into the void. This could either be left as an intention since you'd only have room from y-64 to the bedrock at y=1 that you requested saved. No diff that building in the end voids.

Or just run a command and block fill a cube where the empty space would be with bedrock so a player don't have access to that empty space. The latter would have to be done after 1.18 update.

There are many talking points on this but at it's core this is a very simple fix to keeping bedrock where you want in the frontier. I suggest making a rational size limit as well. Not just 100 chunks by 100 chunks. These places would have to be already dug to qualify for this service.
    DrasLeona247 likes this.
  2. It's an ok suggestion. likely best option is the cube of bedrock, but that'll hurt any kind of mob farm you have as opposed to relocating it lower down. Just having a giant void sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I'd like to know too, how many people are interested in having this service performed. Don't know if you could add a poll after the fact. I'm also sick and kind of tired, so brain isn't functioning at full capacity.
    Merek_Shadower likes this.
  3. Creating giant voids is not going to be a valid option. Maybe we could consider filling in the new stuff with bedrock. But I don't love that after the first week
    nick92461 and Merek_Shadower like this.
  4. question:
    I originally understood that old chunks would keep their old y=0 as bottom, both in vanilla and here on EMC.
    did something change, or did I misunderstood?
  5. I think you misunderstood. I don't remember that being the plan for EMC at any point.
    Upgrading of old worlds
    Fred_TWK and Merek_Shadower like this.
  6. Creating that void gap was my main concern too. In fact I doubted this even to be considered but it was a somewhat of a solution I found after some talks. Like you stated the only possible way to fill it in would be to come back after the update, which, as you know, is not gonna happen but I was hoping maybe someone else had an idea that would work. I mean this would be only used in very specific places and would be costly.

My main reason of this post was to share my findings and let others with lots more knowledge than I expand on it and maybe find a better solution. I was talking to a few diff players who would love something like this if even possible which is why I posted this based off of other convo's regarding the 1.18 update.
  7. So, I was thinking. If you added a SS service applicable only to this very specific situation, you wouldn't have to do anything pre update. You could have it on your schedule just like all other SS services. It would go as follows; a player has a large scale mob farm. Let's say its a gunpowder farm. When these new caves generate, new entity spawns breaks the farm. What i would suggest, is the ability to use a relevant amount of DDTTs in the frontier, to take care of this very specific situation. However, if there was loot, spawners, etc in the requested excavation area, perhaps it becomes an invalid location for staff removal? The newly generated area could be "zoned" in 60x60x64 areas (not the whole world, just relevant chunks the mob farm is in). Lets say they need five of these said 60x60x64 zones removed, in order to clear out newly generated blocks, but one of these zones contains spawners or mineshaft loot etc. The one zone would be considered invalid, and must be removed manually by the player. The other 4 are considered valid, because they contain nothing but regular blocks and ores, and may be removed using 4 DDTTs. Additionally, maybe this service is only applicable within the claim of an established outpost. There could also be a limit set on how many DDTTs can be used per outpost. Or, to prevent a huge spike in the value of DDTT's, players must pay with rupees only. Many of the finer details here can be changed, but i think the basis of the idea is sound.

TLDR: Allow land removal by staff in highly specific situations, within the claims of established outposts, in order to fix farms broken by 1.18 generation. Zone out land in chunks of 60x60x64, and determine if those zones are valid for excavation by staff. Place limits on how much can be excavated by staff. Decide fairest method of payment.

No need to mess with bedrock, no need to create voids, no need to do anything at all pre update. Treat it like residence dirt removal, with the addition of checking the aforementioned "zones" for removal eligibility as defined by staff.
    Merek_Shadower likes this.