Standardized Testing: an Epidemic.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AmusedStew, May 4, 2015.

1. Standardized testing kind of goes against the idea of personalized learning. And since it is usually a once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence, students aren't pressured to constantly conform to how the tests work, and that's why people can do so poorly on standardized tests. Not to mention that this basically tries to ignore how people were raised and taught how to learn and solve problems.

TL;DR:
    georgeashington likes this.
  2. The tests exist to benefit the administration, not the students. Just keep that in mind and everything your teachers and principals say about testing will begin to make sense. If the administration were open and honest about their motivations more students would stop participating. (In my day this was done by filling in random answers.)
  3. I haven't heard about that, but then again I don't pay much attention to our governor. I'm glad they're getting rid of common core here though.

In my opinion common core and standardized tests are too lazy. The teachers teach the bare minimum required and so the kids aren't really learning anything new. I think if the teachers were allowed to teach more independently, kids would learn more. There is a "checklist" my son has had the past two years he's been in school and each time he completes the checklist by the time the first 9 weeks of school is over. This checklist is supposed to cover the entire school year, so he's basically bored 75% of the time. If I were able to, I would much rather homeschool my kid or send him to a more independent private school, but those don't really exist here.
    DubChef and Ultimamaxx like this.
  4. If you child has the aptitude buy/print study guides and let him learn from those. Have him learn the next year's material and when he's ready petition to have him skipped a grade. Kids can be moved up grades it just requires parent involvement and access to future course material.
  5. He does exactly that. They wouldn't allow him to test so that he could move up a grade because of his age.
    DubChef likes this.