Search for the Scariest: A look into Urban Legends

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by Gaming_Comander, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Hello everyone! I've been writing a book about Urban Legends and thought it would be interesting to share some info on some of the Urban Legends that are in this book and a brief biography of them. There are over fifty Urban Legends in this one book, and the planned sequels (if it goes well) include well over one hundred. With that being said, I hope you enjoy learning about myths and spirits and unhuman-like beings as we dive into them! Also, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me some Urban Legends in your area, It'd be a big help!
    SkeleTin007 likes this.
  2. El Cucuy (pronounced El Coo-Coo E)
    As a kid, you were probably told of the boogeyman, an evil person engulfed in darkness that would take away misbehaving children at night. To you, he was scary, but to the children in Mexico, he's a teddy bear compared to El Cucuy. El Cucuy is a tall, slender figure capable of elasticity and being able to turn into shadows, as well as the ability to shapeshift into hideous creatures. He carries around a small sack which he uses to grab misbehaving children to later eat in his cave. In Mexico and parts of the Southern US where Mexican culture plays a big part, it's said that when a child is taken by El Cucuy, their last words simply repeat his name twice..."El Cucuy! El Cucuy!"
  3. Kuchisake-Onna (Translated to: The Slit-Mouthed Woman)
    The tale goes that while a woman's samurai was away fighting a war, she became unfaithful to him and cheated with another warrior. When her husband found out, he was furious, and stripped her away for her beauty by slitting the corners of her mouth. Now a vengeful spirit, Kuchisake-Onna walks the streets of Japan, wearing a surgical mask while asking single or married men if she's pretty. If you say yes, she'll reveal her mouth and say, "How about now?" She'll then slit your mouth until it looks like hers. If you say no, she'll still do it. There is a way to avoid getting your mouth cut open, however. If she asks you and you say either, "I don't know," or "What do you think," she'll become confused, allowing you enough time to run
  4. Kala Bandar (AKA: The Monkey Man of New Delhi)
    This one is different from other Urban Legends, mostly because of the fact that he is real. In 2001, New Delhi, India was under three nights of terror, when a wild monkey would break into people's houses at night and destroy their stuff. It even caused the deaths of two men and a pregnant woman. Though now regarded as an event of mass-hysteria, the tale still goes on about the Kala Bandar, being used to frighten children and make them behave.
  5. El Chupacabra (El Choo Pah Cah Brah)
    Like the Kala Bandar, this event was entirely real. In 1995, a resident in Puerto Rico claimed that his livestock were attacked by a rabid creature with large, black eyes, long, uneven spikes, and a gray body. He ran on all fours and would suck the blood from goats, which was how he got the name Chupacabra, with Chupa meaning 'suck' and Cabra meaning 'goat'. Even though the Chupacabra has been dismissed as wolves with a rare disease that cause its fur to shed off completely, incidents of the Chupacabra are still being heard in reported in Texas, with video evidence and pictures further proving his existence.