Reading - What's on your shelves?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gottsmote, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Alright, we have topics for movies, music, even drinks. How about one about the publications that we players read? I for one have a massive library, a few thousand between me and my wife. So what doe the folks of EMC like to read? Books, Magazines, Scientific Journals, whatever..

Me, I'm a big fan of all sorts of things, particularly books from the Black Library, the Warhammer books. Let us not forget some other series, like The Wheel of Time and Dune.
  2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has to be my favourite book. I went through a phase of reading classics, in which I most enjoyed Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. Recently, I've been enjoying books about economics and sustainablity, which I find really interesting. I don't read as much as I used to unfortunately, most of my reading nowadays is newspapers.
    hayleycolgan, amadai and Gottsmote like this.
  3. The Guide is a pretty good book and its nice to see someone reading heavier stuff as well. Got sucked into Plato's Republic a while back, tough reading, but interesting.
    will_iamd likes this.
  4. One of my favourite reads is Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I'm a fan of a lot of her work. Can't deny that I do love the Harry Potter series too :p Talking of Plato, I've read the Trial of Socrates which was really interesting, and many more Greek stories :) So good!
    Right now I am reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Open to any suggestions! (avid reader :))
    ISMOOCH and Gottsmote like this.
  5. Suggestions?
    -The Malazan Book of the Fallen Series
    -The Secret of Recluce Series
    -The James Lovegrove books; Age of Odin, Age of Zues, Age of Ra, etc.
  6. Oooh, they all sound interesting. Age of Zeus especially!
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  7. Age of Odin really was. The old Norse gods in a modern setting, selecting humans to help them fight their war. Odin, Thor, the Ice and Fire giants, and assault weapons.

And if you like slightly silly fantasy books, try Grunts. Its a little twisted, but funny.
  8. Sounds amazing. Grunts is on my list too then :p
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  9. Always glad to make reading suggestions. Too few people seem to do it these days.
    hayleycolgan likes this.
  10. The Pendragon series, The Inheritance Cycle, and The Hunger Games have been my favorites so far, but I'm sure that list will grow as I get older :)
    Oh yeah and also The Book Thief ;)
    hayleycolgan and Gottsmote like this.
  11. Pendragon was weird at first, but it is a story that will draw you in.
    nab27 likes this.
  12. Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny has to be my all time favorite series, its a long read, but a good one
  13. Last books I read were the Hunger Games. You can make fun but they were awesome :)
    ISMOOCH, hayleycolgan and nab27 like this.
  14. Hmmm, might have to check that out, been hearing about it a lot since they started work on filming it..
  15. I'm loving the Hunger Games! So good :)
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  16. i like reading the three ???:)

i read the book when i was like 8 years old
  17. I have plenty of books.Currently reading through the Dresden Files.
  18. I can't believe that no one in this thread has mentioned Tolkien yet! So I will -- I LOVE TOLKIEN! Also, I'm a big fan of all things science fiction, be it hard, soft, space opera, cyberpunk, whatever. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Frank Herbert, Ron Hubbard, Neal Stephenson,William Gibson, Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein regularly rock my world. I'm also a big fan of Douglas Adams, Jean Auel and Ayn Rand.

I'm currently reading Michael Hicks' In Her Name Omnibus, and before that I re-read the Hunger Games series and Stieg Larson's Girl With the Dragon Tatoo series because there doesn't seem to be much in the way of new stuff that interests me that's come out in the last month or so.
  19. Game of thrones!
  20. I have to read boring calculus :(
    hayleycolgan likes this.