Possible Bucket plugin to add-on?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bossbaby, Nov 27, 2011.

?

(ONLY VOTE AFTER READING) Do you think a advanced logging system would invade your privacy?

Poll closed Dec 4, 2011.
Yes I do not want to be monitered this much 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No this could end griefing and stop some spam 2 vote(s) 66.7%
No, but I do not like the idea 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Yes But it would help the empire 1 vote(s) 33.3%
  1. Hello everyone this is Boss, a problem with someone being leeched has came up and he was aggravated about it saying that if there were logs of it the leecher could be banned. I thought about it and browsed for a shop log plugin for bukkitt and couldnt find one but did find this that may be helpful http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/advlog/ it has things like chest logs and I wasnt for sure if that includes sign shops but after looking at other feature I think this could realy help out and stop some of our problems. I do feel like some may think that it is a invasion of player privacy though but the positives out way the negative by a ton. if we do not have any logging software all ready please take a look at this. I will do a little bit more research on it tommorow but it looks like it has potential
    Bennievv likes this.
  2. These plugins are an awful idea, not for a lack of privacy.. this is the internet.. you have none. They're awful for the sheer amount of crap they log, with the amount of people this server has these log files or database tables would be huge in hours and take up way more server resources then likely most of the key aspects of the game all melted together.

The key here is to not leave chests with a buy price of stupid amounts on easy to get items it really is no one but your own fault. This kind of issue comes up a lot I remember the case of the utopia building at the start of that it is just one of those things.

tl;dr
    No, never. hopefully.
  3. it's not that it wasn't logged it was logged

that being said we can't keep people from being stupid
    who in their right mind will buy something for more then they sell it? in the same chest even
    autonamus likes this.
  4. I have tried plugins like this before and I feel the negatives outweigh the positives (for us). With as busy as our servers are I tried one for one day and it logged over a million records into a database. Now imagine you have a million sticky notes and need to find one to remember something. This is the load and strain it puts on the servers. Don't get me wrong these plugins are great for smaller communities.

It is much better to prevent grief than catch and punish it later (especially with thousands of players). We provide a safe place on every server Town where the only way you can get griefed is if you give someone permissions. I have also recently added some secret modifications to catch other types of greifers and trouble makers. But again I think it is better if you put the power and control into the players hands (like with Town). I am also planning on releasing a way to lock chests in the Wilderness worlds.

Hope this answers your questions, and thanks for the suggestion :)
    autonamus likes this.