Popular Science Archive Mystery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cddm95ace, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Okay, so I don't know if anyone else reads Popular Science, but in the May issue of this year, the very last page contained a article title "A Mystery 140 Years in the Making." It explains how they found in their archives a cryptic note, and and website link on their own website that they can't access. It has generally been regarded as a sort of hacking challenge. The first note was pretty easy to decipher, just took a little archive searching.

At this point, you visit the website address, and enter in the puzzle solution to get into the page. It gets really criptic and this point, and you appear to have to be able to maybe do some hacking, know how to use codes, cyphers, etc., or just be freakishly smart. All of the twenty something search phrases can be found online. But two things:

1. Can anyone one here solve this without Googling it? Actually using the archives, decoding, hacking, etc.?
    2. What do you think it means. At the end, I was still super confused. Is this some sort of fun joke/challenge, or actually a conspirisy theory like people on the internet are claiming?

What do you guys think? I hope some of you will find this kind of intriguing.

Here is the link to the initial page if you don't have the hard copy of the magazine: sevenstars
    sonicol1 likes this.