Please Support 1.18.1 Version

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by azoundria, Mar 18, 2022.

1. I believe in the past you've had the ability to support multiple Minecraft versions.

I'd like to know if it's possible to support the 1.18.1 Minecraft Client (protocol v757) or what the technical reasons are that it's not supported.

For the past couple of days, I've gotten:
    Minecraft Client Console has not yet been upgraded to work on 1.18.2 (protocol v758) which means that to move rupees around in my accounts I have to spend almost 2 hours (the normal client takes about 10 minute to load per account) instead of running a 2 minute script.

Since I don't have 2 hours to spend each day, this means if anyone sells a lot to one of my shops, it will stay out of rupees for a long time.

I can't see a disadvantage to supporting connections from as many clients as possible, while I understand of course newer features won't work on older clients. What's the reason why supporting connections isn't as flexible as possible in general? And is there anything special about 1.18.1 (protocol v757) to 1.18.2 (protocol v758) that makes this technically challenging?
  2. The only thing EMC has used for supporting multiple Minecraft versions is with ViaVersion. The current functionality of that plugin is to only allow 'future' versions to connect - not backwards compatible. Technically there is a plugin called ViaBackwards - but EMC has never installed that plugin before. I thought that ViaVersion supported all 1.18.X versions but I was wrong. Generally speaking, we try to minimize the amount of 3rd party plugins we install.

That is not an officially supported client. I cannot entertain that as being justification... By that logic, just use a version of that client that is updated. https://github.com/heuerleon/Minecraft-Console-Client found from PR https://github.com/MCCTeam/Minecraft-Console-Client/pull/1961.

I mean... Here is one. Any time that data has to be converted from the default version - that requires extra calculations on the end of the server. To do that for one person it doesn't amount to much - but the more nonstandard versions in-use, the more extra calculations required.

So the answer? No. We will not be supporting 1.18.1. I acknowledge it is inconvenient. Yes I will be prodding Aikar to fix the homepage's version mention. :)
  3. Thanks. I appreciate you looking into this and wasn't aware of a working Minecraft Client Console for 1.18.2.

I've managed to build it and get it (somewhat) working.

It does appear to crash regularly ("[MCC] The server you were previously on went down, you have been connected to a fallback server" and "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."), but certainly is much faster than 2 hours to run. I imagine there will be a non-crashing version available in the future.

So my main problem is solved, thank you.

:

Regarding my thoughts in general, I worry that perhaps EMC may lose players by not supporting some older versions. For example, here is another player who cannot play right now unless they disable their OptiFine:
    https://empireminecraft.com/threads/having-problems-updating.85917/

Do you keep statistics on how many players try to join on the wrong client version and which versions? It could be enlightening and might be higher than you think.

Looking further at ViaBackwards, it looks like it supports both backwards and forwards compatibility, so you could have the same number of plug-ins by just replacing ViaVersion with ViaBackwards. And I believe it's mostly the same people contributing to both projects, so the risk, installation process, and interface should be pretty much the same.

It seems that there would be a performance hit by supporting newer versions as well. Is there any reason supporting an older version is much different?

Depending on statistics, one option may be just supporting the last version for a short period - which could be useful for players who have any sort of custom plug-ins that may not be upgradable yet. You can also remove support for any versions if they become a problem or automatically enable/disable support depending on the server load.
    Twangles likes this.