[News] Obama Administration Announces Support For Amending Civil Rights Act To Protect LGBT People

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by finch_rocks_1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Hey EMC,

Just Saw this on the recent news, and thought i should share.

The Obama Administration, after reviewing the Equality Act, now fully supports it.

President Barack Obama's administration fully supports the Equality Act, press secretary Josh Earnest today told reporters. The legislation would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964, expanding it to include bans on discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and sex in employment, housing, public accommodations, public education, federal funding, credit, and the jury system.

“It is now clear that the administration strongly supports the equality act,” Earnest said, noting it would help “millions of Americans.”

The Washington Post reports Earnest said the White House will "work to ensure that the legislative process produces something that balances “the bedrock principles of civil rights with the religious liberty that we hold dear in this country."

Of course, given Republican majorities in both the House and Senate, there is little chance of the bills, which have already been introduced, even coming to the floor of either chamber for a vote.
    Democratic presidential candidate and frontrunner Hillary Clinton over the weekend said, "I invite all of you to come to the White House when I sign that law."

It is a huge step forward for a community that has suffered centuries of discrimination and oppression.

"By endorsing the Equality Act, the White House sent a strong message that it’s time to put the politics of discrimination behind us once and for all," Human Rights Campaign president Chad Hunter Griffin said in a statement posted to Facebook. "Now it’s time for Congress to act. Everyone should be able to live free from fear of discrimination and have a fair chance to earn a living and provide for their families, including people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender."

This is a breaking news story and may be updated. Stay tuned.

Update Video #1

Update Another News Article! #2

This is Not a Debate Thread.

Only Comment if you are not going to start Drama Or Anything!

2. Now, maybe this will stop all those Murders that are going on..... maybe they will now start to enforce the same protection against everyone else Equality.
  3. I am not against this law, but a law will not change the way that some people think.

People who were against LGBT before will still be against it.
    PMSubhan and BrenJone like this.
  4. Yes, there will always be people like that, but you learn to block them out, and for those that are so that that they become murders then, they will be something to help stop that.
  5. What murders concerning LGBT people? It seems to me that LGBT people are getting off quite lightly in the great big mess you have across the pond.
  6. Did something change (legally)?

Of course, given Republican majorities in both the House and Senate, there is little chance of the bills, which have already been introduced, even coming to the floor of either chamber for a vote.

I read this to mean that the endorsement has no authority while it is in the minority. Maybe these bills and the endorsement are different things? Or the same thing? I don't know.
  7. 'bout time. Shame we live in a world that has to separate people into groups.
    MercenaryCrow and finch_rocks_1 like this.
  8. I doubt that a law of this sort is going to pass in the extremely near future unfortunately. The Republican majority in Congress is going to keep it out, it would be embarrassing for the Republican Whip if it got passed. It is very possible though that in 2017 when the new session of Congress starts and we have a new House AND Senate that we will have more Democrats. So hopefully we will be able to go so far as to get an amendment then.
  9. I don't see this getting past the house or senate. I only see this getting through with a possible executive order.
  10. I wouldn't be surprised if he did that. At this point in the Presidency, the President just doesn't begin to give a crap anymore. He wouldn't get 2/3 of the vote against him.