[News] At least 60 dead in Paris shootings, hostages held

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by finch_rocks_1, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Because that's exactly what the Western world should be doing. We go into wars without using diplomacy first. War should be a last resort - but no, we have warmonging tossers like David Cameron and the US government and media sources like the Daily Mail and the Sun getting us into wars in the Middle East, sometimes even using people's deaths to exacerbate the wars they're fleeing. And what do we do when we cripple terrorist organisations and wipe out corrupt governments? We leave without putting new, temporary people into place, and are surprised when people in these countries hate us, they are totally destabilised, they get into civil wars, and new terrorists appear in larger numbers.

I applaud every leader in the Western world, from Justin Trudeau to Jeremy Corbyn to Bernie Sanders, who sees this for what it is and knows how to properly respond to it, but aren't properly listened to because the population of their countries seems to be made up of people who like to fight fire with fire, and give terrorists what they want.

Take the UK's little war with the IRA from the late 60s to the late 90s, a very organised terrorist organisation who fought for Irish independence from us and want a reunited Ireland. We wound up massacring innocent people because of that, which is pretty much what the IRA needed. When we finally sat down and talked (the one thing I am semi-proud of Tony Blair for doing, but he went ahead and got us into the war in Iraq which very few people in the UK wanted), we reached a negotiation, within a matter of days. Sure, the IRA still exists today and it's created a crisis over in Northern Ireland, but they haven't actually done anything in nearly 17 years. And there are probably better examples out there, and this may be quite a bad one, but it still shows my point. We don't get to peace through shooting at eachother, killing eachother, and bombing villages made up of mostly innocent people because a few bad guys are holed up in there: we get to peace through talking. War may be inevitable in some situations, but it should still only be a last resort and be over as quick as possible.

There's my daily essay done.

EDIT: It's not done yet.
    Sorry, but, what? Of course he'd be sad. That doesn't mean we should go and bomb them. Family members of people who have had aid worker relatives executed have even said this. They don't support going to war with them.
    ThaKloned and PMSubhan like this.
  2. What? I think you need go rephrase what you just said because right now your comment about the situation is bad. This is what ISIS does. What they did today is "Their own thing."
    Qkazoochan, PenguinDJ and poofasaurus like this.
  3. Erm... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the U.S. didn't do anything. France closed its own borders due to a state of emergency. The United States and France are on different continents... :/
    PMSubhan and ThaKloned like this.
  4. France closed its own borders. The U.S can't really do anything like that unless they use military force, and them using military force on any country in the European Union to close its borders would be highly unlikely - that nation will have also been condemned by the EU, who would have also locked its borders, since they will have done something bad. France has done nothing wrong.
    PMSubhan likes this.
  5. I'll be hearing about this tonight on BBC.
  6. Sorry those were meant to be question marks.
  7. Total= minimum 140.
    Some people say that England is next because of the tunnel from France to England, but I hope not. One part of the world is bad enough!
    ObscureGolem and ww2fan168 like this.
  8. it says 60 on the thread as i made it as soon as the first news report was out and they thought it was 60...
  9. Doubt it. Border control down in the channel tunnel is pretty tight right now. If anything was going to happen here, it would mean this will have had to be a planned attack and they'd have people already in the UK, who MI5 would probably have already caught. The only notable place worth bombing is London, which is miles away from the tunnel. You could pull an IRA and bomb the town neighbouring mine and massively confuse the police before you do the attack, but ISIS don't have a reason to do that.

Edit: Also, yes, you could attack Edinburgh, or Cardiff (the other two capital cities in Great Britain and 2/4 of the capitals in the UK), or Manchester, but that would be very hard to do if you came up from Paris - which is, again, miles away from the channel tunnel. Those cities are even further away.
  10. France has gone under a state of emergency. No one is leaving or entering without being shot.
  11. Hope it won't happen, I know people that live in England.
  12. trust me, unless ISIS already sent soldiers to England already; it's highly unlikely that this will happen. Europe has noticed this, and like 9/11, will be resolved and fixed were it won't happen again.
  13. This made me laugh.

That may be how you do it in 'murica, but that's not how it works in Europe. We're much more professional and don't open fire on people trying to cross a closed border. That would put you in deep trouble with the European Union.
    So do I :p (pretty much everyone I know :p)
    PMSubhan likes this.
  14. I have a bias towards America's ways of handling things, though they are not civil to Europeans. My apologies, and at that I will leave you with a good;e search suggestion I found "Why do americans love guns"