[MARKET GUIDE] Phoe's guide to the Horse Market

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by CoffeeAffinity, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Greetings fellow EMCers! This thread was created for the purpose for helping members get started in what is known as the "Horse Market." When I say Horse Market, I don't just mean shops that sell horses of every color, I mean the competitive market for high stated horses that mostly include high speed.

Step One: is this something you really want to do?

One thing to note if you want to become a horse breeder, this is a market that burns more rupees than it earns. On top of the rupees spent buying the gold and carrots you use to breed the horses, the horses themselves are expensive (though in recent times they have become more available). If your getting into the horse market to make a profit, this is not the market for you!

Step Two: what are the goals you hope to accomplish?

When entering the horse market, its important to have a goal, this will be the reason you use to continue breeding. It will take a long time for you to reach your goal, depending on what your trying to get. After you complete that goal, come up with another! It will be up to you to decide whether you want to pursue another goal and be satisfied with where your at.

My goal is to equalize the speed market for all horse colors, what will be yours?

Step Three: Make friends!!!

This is the most important step in the guide! Friends make it easier to accomplish your goals, especially when they have already made progress prior to your interest. Get acquainted with your local horse shop owners and check the horses they are selling. Branch out to other smps too, compare prices between shops to help determine your own!

Check everywhere for Public Breeding Stables! These special operations usually have some really good breeding horses to give you a headstart. There is 1 Public Breeding Stable on Utopia, owned by MrAdazahi at /v +breed. There will be a future Public Breeding Stable on smp3, more details will be out once it becomes open. Using public breeding stables like this will help you breed horses for sale and gain potential breeders to use for your own projects!

As of recent, it has become challenging to find players who are selling the "Top Notch" horses that can really assist in your big goal projects. Here is a list of players who may have the better horses to sell (not all players in the list are fully active):

MrsWishes, RainbowPony, HannahEB, jdog37, ArtemisV, Aiyard, cj12115 and MrAdazahi.

These are just some of the players that make up the horse market community, it will definitely help to have friends in the horse market by pointing you in the right direction.

Step Four: buy on a budget

Now that you got friends and a plan, its time to get the stepping stones that will start your shop! When checking for horses, you might find some shops have several horses you want to get. Remember your rupee balance! Make sure once you have plenty of rupees left over after you have made the purchase.

Step Five: get breeding!

When breeding horses, this holds especially true when breeding 130+ speed horses, don't expect to get results right away! Depending on if you have 132+ speed horses to breed you might find it takes awhile to start producing 130's, going through multiple stacks before you breed one. Having multiple pairs betters your odds, it also helps you notice patterns when breeding your horses.

It's important to figure out what horses you will use in a pair! If you want foals with balanced stats, don't pair your 132 speed with 19 hp horse with a 132 speed with 18 hp horse! Try to instead pair the horse with a horse with a health stat that's above average, say 24 hp, this is to limit the chance of a foal having a bad stat. If your going full speed, that should be easy to do once you have looked at all your breeders.

Other notes:

Save yourself and your friends the need to ride your horses to check stats, put the horses stats in their name! Use an anvil on the spawn egg to rename. I suggest using horse armor to mark your most valued horses.

Having stables marked out will make it easier for you to find the pairs you want to breed in certain sessions, this is useful when you have alot of pairs in several stables.

Feel free to post questions you would like for me to answer! I only addressed the horse market here, the donkey and mule markets are still in their infancy so I left those details off the discussion, but feel free to ask anything about those markets! For the most part however, this guide can also be applied to the other markets.
  2. Pretty good guide! The horse market takes a lot of time and patience for sure... something I don't have :D
    Eviltoade and PhoenixAffinity like this.