Livemap for The End

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by DryAgedBeefJerky, Feb 4, 2018.

1. People have ALWAYS wanted a livemap for the dimension of the End. Why doesn't the End have one, and the Nether and the Overworld do? It's becoming needed for those who end up getting lost in the end. Why can't all three dimensions have a livemap, when the other two than the End do?
    SkeleTin007 likes this.
  2. I think there is a mod that allows a maps view as I've seen it in someone's screenshot.
  3. This would also be good to find undiscovered areas since they would still be blacked out on the map.
    Pab10S likes this.
  4. In the past, The End did not contain floating islands or cities. Since it was empty there was little reason for a wastelands version. Therefore we had only a frontier End containing hidden player bases, and I can understand the decision at that time to exclude the livemap.

I'm providing this for historical info and is just my own interpretation as a player. I could be completely wrong in why that decision was made :)
    ThaKloned likes this.
  5. I've always wondered why The End didn't have one. That makes sense now :D
  6. I've felt conflicted about it myself. I have thought I would like it to help find unexplored areas in the Waste. Live Map doesn't update unless you spend time in an area mining. The explored cities would show up but much of the time people spend there is running or flying around exploring so we would just have small uncovered areas to go by when planning a route which would make it usable but not as much as we might like.

After this last reset I went there and used the evidence I found of other peoples' exploration to help decide where to go but found a lot of cities where someone had gotten there first. Sometimes I would find that the person who preceded me was a bit sloppy and missed some Shulkers and occasionally a Chest or two, but the Elytra and Dragon Head were always missing. A map would at least give me a general idea of where I am more likely to be successful.

I've been using Voxel Map which records the part of the map I have explored so at least I can see where I have not explored. The last time I was out I went with two other people who did not use it and weren't very confident with using coordinates. As a result they relied on me to lead and if anyone got lost I had to run back and find them or we had to relay coordinates and instructions back and forth. It wasn't always very enjoyable and a map would have made it much easier to coordinate the group.

I've come to think of the absence of a map like we have for the other servers as a challenge. I like most challenges but am not sure I like this one. It is a motivator to get out into the Waste End as soon as possible after a reset. It is also the opposite once I am sure it has been picked over, like it is now. I expect many other players are discouraged in the same way and many likely do not bother at all, letting other players spend the time on it instead. I think having a map would encourage some players to go out when they otherwise might not.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  7. Maybe if it was just the Waste end. If it was the frontier, you run into the issues where you can find player bases.
    KJHaddrell01 likes this.
  8. I would love to see a live-map in the End. However, if there is going to be a live map, consider only doing this for the Waste End and not the Frontier End. As, the Frontier End contains a few hidden bases, and the live map would only reveal where they are. Other than that, I think it is a good idea. :)
  9. Honestly, I don't think a map should be added at all. It would only be beneficial once someone has gone through it so the darn thing updates. Besides, having a map would make it less of a challenge and that is what the End is suppose to be. we already know that the island are done in circles, so if you know this then you know how to navigate through it.