I could use some laptop help.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ShadyShannon, Aug 26, 2012.

1. As the title claims, I could use some help. I am rather certain that my laptop has a virus, but everytime I attempt to scan it my laptop shuts itself down. I figured perhaps the virus prevented me from running a scan, so I attempted to use F8 and restore my laptop to a previous date. However, when I select the repair computer option, it loads about halfway then stops. Following this, I get an error screen stating perhaps a USB was removed (I have never used a USB on my laptop) or the CD-Rom Drive or Harddrive is failing. But using my laptop in safe mode, I checked and it stated both of those were running fine. The error I am given is an I/O error with a status of 0xc00000e9. I haveimited computer knowledge, so I have no clue what that means. I use windows 7 on a Toshiba Laptop, and I was just wondering if anyone knew perhaps how to repair it, or knew a # I could call to get it fixed. OR if my laptop is unfixable.I do not have to repair disk that came with the laptop. Anyone?
  2. Bumps, bumps everywhere!
  3. Sounds more like heat problems than a virus to me. In this case, cleaning the fans and CPU heatsink would help. In older pc's or ones that have had an ongoing heat problem, I've had to replace the thermal compound under the CPU as well. I recently did this on a desktop CPU that was giving me problems like this. Try cleaning the dust out first though.

Laptops are nice until you have to work on one. If you want to try it yourself, get some of this stuff(or similar)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6109630&csid=_61

and see if you can sneak the nozzle in where the heatsink and fans are. Most likely you will have to open it up to get at these parts to clean them well. If you aren't comfortable doing this, find someone you trust that is.

There are other things that could be wrong of course, but this is probably the easiest(overlooking the fact that it is a laptop) to do.
  4. According to Microsoft:
    "The error message relates to a hardware error pertaining to your computer's BIOS. Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive.

As you have no external device plugged in to your computer, there might be some drivers conflicting. You might need to remove sound card etc.. from BIOS.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If windows does not complete startup repair then it gives option to perform system restore. Restore the system to the date it was working fine. Below link will help you perform System restore: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions
    Regards:
    Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support."
  5. What Pablos said
  6. It could be dust, if you take a can of air, (straw's always help) and just blow it into all the fan/slots that you can get to, it will release the dust, and a couple more attempts will get it out. This may solve some problems, but like Toast said, it could be your drivers.
  7. The shutting down ONLY occurs when I attempt a virus scan. The reason I originally thought it had a virus is because it can't even load the home desktop. It states that there is some sort of error like that 0e whatever one.
  8. Now I cannot even use safe mode. It freezes at the loading files screen
  9. X80004.jpg

Could be as simple as spraying one of these into the nooks and crannies of your laptop. Just sayin'.
  10. Do you have a restore CD for ur OS? If you do just boot from the restore CD and use "repair". it will restore critical system files in order to boot up, and then you can boot from a CD burned with Malwarebytes and that will find and fix 99.99% of viruses.
  11. I'd probably think it worth taking to a computer shop, and getting them to have a look at it, but I'm boring like that, haha
  12. Take it to a computer place. I actually had a similar problem with my laptop, and they got it back running again.
  13. I am a laptop shop, practically.
  14. I am too poor to afford things ATM.
  15. This is all free... and it will work... just try it...
  16. Get a new laptop.
    (jk)
  17. The OP stated I no longer own the CD, nor do i know someone who does. I appreciate the suggestion though