HOW TO: use your stack of torch EVERY NOW AND THEN

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by SoccPuppet, Feb 16, 2020.

1. yes, i break my promise and posted another one. (xD)
    now let's continue on torch, one of the easiest to get, but one of the greatest to use.

Trick 1: Prevent mob spawning
    Um...... Skip this if you thought that you're not a super duper noob.
    Most hostile mob can't spawn when the block they're about to spawn on has a combined(sky+artificial) light level of higher than 7. The only exception been slime who don't care about light as long as you're in a slime chunk. So a ring of torch around you base can effectively stop any hostile mob from spawning.

Trick 2: Get rid of annoying water
    You've found the first diamond in the whole year. But as soon as you mined it out you got pushed into a lava pool by water. RIP.
    Swim up to the water source and put a torch at the same block as the water source block. The source block will be effectively removed and happy days. Talking about water, a life-saving trick is......

Trick 3: Get rid of annoying deadly lava
    Almost everybody has been to a stupid scene like this:
    You're dig dig dig in the nether when you suddenly found a hidden lava source block. Sad time.
    Luckily, you have your torch on you (preferably in off hand slot to provide faster access), and you've read this thread. You dump a torch at the source block and poof, the lava source block just disappeared!
    (Emergence backup plan) If you're a little bit too slow and some lava already flow out, don't panic, just put torch at the same block as these pesky flowing lava, and happy time you go.

Trick 4: Break through gravel patch like a breath
    Underground mining is fun, underground mining is life. But hey, gravel is here to save ruin the day! Use hand to mine through gravel is pretty slow and it will do unnessary damage to your beloved shovel(you monster, using your beloved shovel to work!) (xD). Cherish, because torch is here to also ruin save the day(no kidding this time)! break the buttom most block of gravel, and put torch at the same place quickly. All the gravel would fall and be broke by the holy torch!
    {just a note} They will not drop flint like this because they're supposed to drop themselves when been broken like this. Pull out your beloved shovel (you monster!) if you really love flint over your beloved shovel, you monster! (xD)
    (Emergence backup plan) If you placed the torch too slow: do it again. If you placed the torch too fast: break it and quickly place it back.

(Just a general tip, whether you have some mod that provide mobile lighting or not, put your torch in off-hand slot is a good idea)

Trick 5: Mark the way back
    Some Minecraft pro might have heard about this, but I'm here to tell you all.
    Place torch only on one side of the path. Say you only place it on your left hand side, then when you're going back, follow the torch on your right hand side. If you can get lost like this, I recommend you to quit Minecraft for the sake of your eye.

Trick 6: Seal off branches
    This one works perfect in stronghold or abandoned mineshaft. If you found out that this is a dead end, go back to the last section and use torch to mark that it's dead end. You can even be creative and implement some sort of marking system. Maybe 3 torch on the ground means dead end, two torch going inward means base, a torch on the ceiling means spawner ahead...... It really helps when you're running out of signs. You can even nick some torch in the abandoned mineshaft!

Trick 7: Disable spawner
    Um, this one is pretty well-known so i will only mention blaze spawner since it's a bit different.
    Blaze can spawn when the light level is lower than 12, so your normal up-and-down-and-all-around torch trick won't work. Put torch in a checkerbroad pattern around the spawner to disable blaze spawner. Else it's sad time (potentially fire time) and you might be able to get roasted. Nom nom, delicious!

(Next thread sneak peak: Lava bucket!)
    TailchaserMC likes this.