Have you ever thought about this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by talukegord, Jan 14, 2013.

1. *cough cough* called it *cough cough*
  2. Well Daniel did it behind his parent's back, and his parents didn't know about it
  3. I don't think his intent was to be offensive. He was just trying to give the example of someone with a mental issue, but it came off in a slightly offensive way
  4. dude i have a lot of friends with Mental problems and they play MW3, COD and a lot of war games with no problem. Infact they play some online games with me and they understand what death and such is because their parents taught them right.

As for Video games causing ppl to act out and such. You dont see me running around in a Green tunic using a holy sword to cut grass and get rupees. In fact video games has taught me a lot in life, bad guys never win, friends are everything, and not to ram your boat into an island because you will drown.
  5. That Daniel kid was deranged in the head. Who would KILL their parents over a VIDEO GAME? I love my parents, I would never give them up for a video game.
    mba2012 likes this.
  6. um... the green suit thing just created in my mind xD
    also, some parents MIGHT explain the cause of death and violance, but the child might be so mentally disabled he SILL doesn't understand
  7. I say no, as most people have a line that says, this is not ok, I will not do that, but some people DON'T have that line, so they will say, this is totally ok for me to go kill people because they do it in a game.
  8. All kids do things behind their parents backs. That argument is invalid.

Sorry I just can't stand it when someone uses "Mentally retarded kid". It's rude plain and simple. I'm sure he would be offended if people called him "The overly religious kid" or "Zealot" or something like that.
    I just snorted drink out my nose, Bravo.
    NINJATTILA, SoulPunisher and mba2012 like this.

9. somethings kids hide behind their parents' backs are worse then others. I DO think this arguement is valid because is does happen everyday.
  10. I did actually read an article (I don't know If it was legit or not, I didn't look into it) that said that there was a study that showed that people who played violent video games were less disturbed by images of violence. While this doesn't directly mean that people are more violent after playing, it would lead to violence in theory. I can kinda relate to this because the first time I played call of duty zombies (pretty much the first violent game I played) I was horrified by the blood and gore, and I remember not bring able to sleep that night because of what I had seen (I was probably 11). But later on, the more I played games of the sort, I was less effected by violent games, and now when I see something horsey I am much less phased by it

EDIT: oh autocorrect...I meant gory not horsey
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  11. I think video game addiction needs to be made more aware off.
  12. What defines 'mentally retarded kid'? I thought you were a strong-christian? Not bring religion into this thread at all, but christians are supposed to see everybody as equal, and saying somebody is a retard is offensive. As a person with various issues, I get called a retard, so that choice of words offended me a little.
    mba2012 likes this.
  13. i'm, sorry if it does, but a "mentally retarted person" Is a person who's brain doesn't function like others
  14. I used to play a ton of Call of Duty, and I can say that I haven't had the urge to kill anyone or go on a killing spree or whatever. I am kinda addicted to video games, and I don't just play violent ones. The closest I've come to doing something from a video game in real life is probably wanting to just drive 150 mph down the road in a nice car, and that's because of Forza Horizon. Now, obviously I didn't do that because of many reasons. I think that people that buy violent video games like Call of Duty or Gears of War should be asked if they have someone in their family with a mental issue.

I think that people that play violent video games and have a mental problem should be watched as they play or even as they go about their daily life. They should probably do something with the sale of violent games, but nothing to strict.
  15. Just because one is desensitized too video game violence does not mean that one is desensitized too real world violence. I have seen plenty of violent images in games; but if I saw someone with their head blown off or their entrails hanging out in real life, I would probably be thoroughly disturbed. I think probably had less to do with becoming desensitized too violence and more to do with your becoming older; and this is why we have rating systems in place. And even if video games desensitizes one too real world violence, that does not mean that this desensitization will contribute too real world violence.
  16. I play a lot of Video Games.
    I stay healthy.
    I have a social life.
    I get good grades.
    I've never noticed any downsides from video games, in fact if I'm having a bad day I'll come home play some games and It'll cheer me up. Also playing violent video games hasn't desensitized me to anything. When I see dead body's in gaming or T.V I am disgusted.
    mba2012 and britbrit3197 like this.
  17. Aside from the more obvious arguments about them inciting violence, I think video games have two shortcomings that I think are noteable.

I grew up without video games. When we played an indoor game it was cards or a board game. When I was a kid, my family would often sit around our kitchen table on Friday or Saturday nights and play games. I learned chess, checkers, and a lot of card games from my mother, which I think helped me learn about logic and reasoning. It was also a popular thing to do when we had company. As I grew older, I'd play things like Risk and Dungeons and Dragons with friends.

I learned a lot from playing not just the games, but also from the interaction I had with my family and friends. We've played a lot of FPS games on our LAN, but it is still a room of people facing away from, instead of towards each other. Their thoughts are directed inward towards controlling input to a machine instead of outward towards their companions. The interaction is something you can't have even with a multiplayer video game and I often miss it.

My kids grew up with video games and it's rare that we ever do anything like I've described above. One of my most memorable times with them was when the power went out a few years ago and we played Monopoly by candlelight. Everyone loved it.

The other thing that I think is a problem is that just like television, you are experiencing something that was created by someone else. You are presented with a picture someone else dreamed up with little room for imagination or creativity, and sometimes even interaction.

I've always gotten more enjoyment creating things than experiencing things other people have created. I think some people are more comfortable consuming the products of other people's creativity, but that's not a good thing.

Some of the first computer games I ever played didn't even have video. They had stories, number readouts, and eventually slides. You had to interpret what that meant to you. Some games now have so many cutscenes and animations that they seem more like a interactive movie than a game to me.

I have a couple of friends who refuse to play Minecraft because the graphics aren't realistic. Yet they play WOW and Diablo. I argue that they aren't any more realistic either, but never get anywhere.

They were never the kind of kids who played with legos or kinex like I did either. I think they are actually a little intimidated by the idea of being able to/forced to use their imagination to the extent that you do with a game like this.

I have played games like Diablo and WOW so I know what they are like too. I think perhaps it is easier or more pleasurable for some people to run a dungeon over and over and they prefer it even though it hardly ever changes. Not that there isn't anything repetitious to do in Minecraft, like mining cobble :).

I think that the more a game hinders your ability to explore and create new paths puts you in a mental rut. It doesn't allow you to grow mentally and sets you up for other problems. In fact, whenever I think of myself as playing too much Minecraft, it is when I am doing something unimaginative and mind numbingly repetitious, like farming XP, chopping trees, clipping wool.

We need young people especially to learn to create things and solve problems for themselves using their imagination and I think to a large extent, video games stifle this.
    maask12345 likes this.
  18. No, Mentally retarded is an INSULT. They are Mentally disabled.
    mba2012, NINJATTILA and SoulPunisher like this.
  19. Coming from someone who has worked in mental health, been involved in mental health (as a paticent and a son of a therapist), it is not only based on the mental health of the person playing the game. There has to be some sort of responsibility placed on the parent for allowing the kid to play the game, when they know that they are unstable. Most of the problems of todays youth, being disrespectful, insabordinate or down right nasty boils down to the lessons that were instilled by their parents. Now days the majority of parents could not give a crap what their kid is doing, they do not truely punish them so the kids think they can do what they want. They have not been taught anything about mortality or what is right and what is wrong. NO that does NOT mean religion. Being taught what is right and wrong can come from every day lessons, not by shoving religion down the kids throat. Granted it does give some stability, but it is not always the answer. Kids need to get spanked and punished more so that ever, behavioral health needs to be taken seriousally, and if someone is mentaly ill, or seems like they are "not quite there" it needs to be addressed. There are so many people that do not think that mental illness is a real thing and put it down as such, but it is a very real thing. But pretty much this boils down to the parents being a better parent, laying a good foundation for their kiddo, and raising them with some morals and NOT letting them go and run around doing whatever their little immature mind thinks of. It is amazing what you can tell VIA MC. I can tell the kids on the server that think that they can do whatever they want, just by their age and what they act like in game. Video games are a portal to see the real side of a person. The vutural world creates an oppurtunity to express you're true self (after you get confortable with it). This topic is a very interesting one, and I hope you enjoyed my story XD
    mba2012, talukegord and Seffychan like this.
  20. I don't see any inherent insult in naming something. Regardless of the name we use, the named thing remains the same. It's the context and intent that count, not the words you use.

I don't think the post you are referring to was meant to hurt anyone, but was meant to try and make a valid point. I think the intent was to suggest that people with impaired cognitive skills may misinterpret a game as something they can mimick in reality or that reality may be blurred for them in such a way that they see no difference between the two.

Same thing. I just used more words to do the job.

When you use words to replace words that are seen as insulting, the new words take on the insult. Not because of the word, but because of what the word means or what we think it means. Try Googling "Euphemism Treadmill" and you'll see what I mean.