EMC Mob Spawning Distance and Density Checks

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by bryanm61, Mar 19, 2018.

1. I am unclear regarding the EMC Mob Spawning Distance and Density Check mechanisms.

Spawning Distance, from the Wiki:

• On Empire Minecraft, mobs can spawn up to 64 blocks away from you.
    Questions:
    1) Is this a square area in the X/Z plane (vs. radius or 'taxicab') ?
    2) Is the Y also limited to 64 blocks above and below the player?
    Mob Density Checks, from the Wiki:

On EMC, the formula to calculate how many mobs can spawn is the same. However, there is a cap of 90 mobs (this limit is per player).
    • If there are under 90 mobs in the area, it checks that there are not too many of that same mob in the current area.
      • Mobs are limited to spawning in clusters of two.
      • A cluster size is 20 blocks X/Z, and 16 Y.
      • If there are two monsters within the cluster of where an entity is trying to spawn, the spawn will be cancelled.
    3) So if there are two players standing side-by-side, would the cap then be 180 mobs?
    4) Is the cluster size (20 blocks X/Z, 16 Y) FIXED? Or centered on the potential spawn block? In other words, are these clusters always, say, 140-159X 160-179X 180-189X and so on? And, 0-15Y 16-31Y 32-47Y, etc. ?
    5) If centered on the potential spawn block, is this 20 blocks out in each direction X/Z - so a total of 40 blocks X and 40 blocks Z (wouldn't think so, but need to be sure)?
    6) If centered on the potential spawn block, is the Y 16 up AND 16 down? 8 up and 8 down? 16 up?
    We will be doing a great deal of work with regards to these distances and limits, and so would appreciate authoritative and definitive information here. Thank you so much!
    haastregt likes this.
  2. square area. Neither spherical radius nor taxicab.
    The 64 blocks does not check vertical distance.
    No.

It is centered around the potential spawn block.
    It looks like it. It is also possible the 20 number 'could' be outdated. For some reason my local dev server uses the number 24. That should not be interpreted as a guarantee of what is on the live server though.
    16 up AND 16 down.

I would urge you to use caution when designing too extensively around the specific numbers. I don't anticipate us changing them anytime soon; but I wouldn't want for a minor tweak to break your plans.
    Tuqueque and haastregt like this.
  3. Thank you so much, Chickeneer! Very much appreciate you timely response; this has cleared up a lot of questions for us! I will give due and valid consideration to your advice and cautions here regarding possible future changes.
  4. Your welcome. I really do not anticipate us changing the spawning mechanics. It is more likely that we enforce the entity limiter more (it is... imperfect); so do not be scared too much by my warning.
  5. Be careful of rounding with distances. Depending on the distance formula used the distance may or may not have a center block.

For instance which block is the center of 40? Mojang may apply rounding depending on where and how the check is used. Beware. :)
  6. I was working on a gunpowder farm in the frontier on SMP3. I'm guessing I'll have to hollow out a 64-radius cylinder for it to work. :p

Performed an /entc and got 22 things, 7 animals, and 8 non-mob entities? items? Not using armor stands. The rest, I'm guessing are mobs within the h*pi*64^2 volume.
  7. The non mob entities could be tile drops. If you want to maximize your entit count, explore all the caves in the region and light them up. Prevents mobs from spawninternet down there.
  8. I've started a project on /smp2 frontier southeast to remove a (138 by 138) cube of earth. Farm is in place but 22 mystery mobs are showing up. People can build a Temple of Doom in place afterwards!

Creeper Themed