[Discussion] Entity Limiter

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by chickeneer, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hey all. chickeneer here with another discussion thread.
    I have been squashing tons of bugs for the 1.15 update. Something that has came up in discussions is the possibility of altering the entity limiter to reflect the changes to Minecraft over the years.

This is NOT auto-killing. Entity limiter refers to the limits defined by /entc. In town it is per residence. And in the wild is based on the 'area' around you.

A large issue is when there are 150 entities all within 10 blocks of each other. All trying to move and do things. Currently that is permitted by the /entc. But is also excessive in terms of being too high of a concentration.
    Of course there is the vanilla feature of cramming. We can/may enable this, but I do not think it would solve the issues I am seeing.

Now your turn. I want your feedback on what capabilities we should maintain. In other words, what things should you still be able to do. I am wanting to keep the vanilla experience, but some alterations may be necessary to help reduce server strain so everyone can get that experience.

Final Note: This thread is not for me to announce that we are or are not doing something. Just opening discussion to find a solution that we can compromise on.
  2. As a large farm builder myself, I think that the cap itself is generally ok where it stands now. My only request would be to allow more armor stands. Only 30 armor stands seems rather low when I wanna show off all the armor I have accumulated from my adventures.

As for the limit itself, the spawning limits themselves seem to hinder most needs for the cramming/limits. If not as many entities spawn, there's less of a need to have restrictions on amounts. It currently seems to be a healthy balance of both. However, I am totally down for increased limits/spawn rates if the server can handle that kind of stress. But that's just my very basic understanding. Always down to learn the actual ins-n-outs of this whole system to best optimize my farms ;)
  3. From my point of view, the best solution would be to reduce the total number NPC entity's allowed in an area while retaining the total entity limit, Perhaps 150 total entity's and 50-75 are permitted to be Mobs?

Random idea i also had was, would it be possible to have Mobs spawned in farms have the no-AI thing? i have no idea if this would be possible but if the mobs aren't all constantly trying to move etc that could cut down on some lag?
  4. Reducing the spawns in farms to no AI would not be a solution we could use for this issue. All mob behavior remain the same across the server.
  5. may i ask is this due to code limitations?
  6. How would the server be able to reliably and accurately differentiate between mobs inside and outside of a farm?
    Additionally, this could also be seen as officially recognizing and validating mob farms, which Aikar has been notoriously against in the past.
  7. Im not a huge fan of this idea. Is there any other way to provide server stability?
  8. What is the specific issue compared to 1.15 entities and our previous 1.12 entities? Or has this been an issue that you have been noticing well before the update? Just curious if there is something we as players can change rather than have a server wide fix? (such as spacing out mobs or just having them killed by fall damage asap or something).
  9. What rhy said
    Cyberazaz101 likes this.
  10. I am just seeking feedback at this point.
  11. Good discussion, I agree with Cyberazaz101, don't change anything.

For that reason, a reduction/change of the limits and/or activation of cramming will destroy many farms specially built for EMC rules and the Changes from Vanilla Minecraft we are currently following.

What I do not know , is how the existing '' settings '' affect the servers?
  12. How they are affecting the servers is leading to the lag, hence the discussion. More particularly:
    A large issue is when there are 150 entities all within 10 blocks of each other. All trying to move and do things. Currently that is permitted by the /entc. But is also excessive in terms of being too high of a concentration.
  13. I think increasing the armour stand limit would be good. As for everything else i think it should stay the same.

I would rather a nice stable 1.15.2 rather than increased mob limits

If decreasing it means certain stability then i would say go for the decreased sizes.
    It many depends on what the server can handle.
    Cyberazaz101 likes this.
  14. I don't quite understand the finer points of this discussion - but I like having 100 entities per a res. Please don't lower that number!