[Design Ideas] for Paths/Streets in Community Builds/Frontier Towns

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by KatydidBuild, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ---This is a place to collect pictures and ideas --- All players welcome to contribute or use them---

Hi.
    I have been working on trying to gather some ideas together for a build that needs some street paths and was wondering what ideas other EMC'ers might have.
    Just add a picture of the path and the biome name that you might use it in or other reason/place to use it in the comments here.
    Pics are preferred with some minimal explanation if you like.
    If I use any of the ideas you submit, I will pay you some rupees for doing so (as a courtesy) and would love if anyone else who used anything suggested here would do the same. But this is NOT a requirement.

EDIT:
    khixan, I like the thoughts you put down. Very well said. Thank you. Great descriptive comments for the process :love: :<3:

I guess I should have added that this was a place to collect pictures and ideas for everyone, including some of the more inexperienced builders on EMC and also is a place to share some ideas of what has been done here. Showing off is fun, too :D My offer of rupees if I use an idea I see here would just be a way of (me personally) saying thanks!! for a great idea because I like to give credit when credit is due for building.
    khixan likes this.
  2. I don't have pics handy atm, but I might update this later with a few if you'd like that. (No rupees needed for me!)

My thought process when making paths (yeah, my 2 cents for whatever that is worth heh).
    I first look at the builds around it. What material are they mostly made of? Because whatever that answer is, I usually don't want my paths to be that same material. So if the houses/buildings are mostly made of grayish stone materials, I will probably go with something not made out of stone. I might pick a wood path. A "nature" path (path blocks, dirt, coarse dirt, podzol, etc) is a good neutral one that goes with almost anything aside from a modern (or scifi) build.

Once I decide on a material, I pick out a palette. I usually choose 3-4 blocks that blend together, and I try to have at least one choice that includes slabs/stairs for going up/down. Let's take the wood path example. Spruce planks, oak wood, and stripped spruce wood look very nice together. They blend. Since the woods have a "direction" to them, I'd randomize which way they face. If you were using WorldEdit, the command would be something like
    //set 60%spruce_planks,20%*oak_wood,20%*stripped_spruce_wood

If you're building in the wild, you have to take lighting into account. Street lights tend to be more decorative than functional. To make them functional on the entire path, you'd likely need a silly amount of them. Usually, I will choose a carpet that matches the color of the path and hide a light emitting block under it. If I'm doing a wood path, I might use a trapdoor instead. Another nice trick is to have "hedges" of leaf blocks with sea lanterns or glowstone under them. That also works well with light under water with lily pads and/or sugar cane. Another option is a custom barrier alongside the path and incorporate the lighting into that.

Some usual picks for me are (and many of these work as wall palettes too):
    • Spruce planks, oak wood, and stripped spruce.
    • Stone, gravel, and andesite.
    • Cracked stone bricks, a mix of dead corals, cobble, and perhaps some mossy blocks.
    • Path blocks, dirt, coarse dirt, and maybe podzol. It works great with medieval-ish builds and anything nature-like beside it.
    • Bricks, granite, polished granite, plain terracotta.
    • Prismarine plus anything. Let's face it. I have a prismarine obsession.
    • On a modern or scifi build, colored glass with light blocks under it can be a lot of fun.
    • Diorite, polished diorite, white and/or light gray concrete powder, white concrete.

Happy building!

P.S. Apply for BuildTeam! buildteamapp.emc.gs
    KatydidBuild and MoreMoople like this.